• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Strange mite breakout

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline dspdrew - Posted October 29 2017 - 3:10 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Shortly after moving one of my Camponotus fragilis colonies to a formicarium, I noticed all this microscopic debris looking almost like powder around one of the meal worm pieces laying in the out world. Upon closer inspection I saw they were mites, tens of thousands of them probably. I wasn't too worried about them, as they didn't seem to be parasitic or even phoretic, but they exploded in population within hours.

Under the microscope, I could see there were still more eggs EVERYWHERE. These mites were really funny looking too, having what looks like a long snout and hairs sticking out.

I have compost mites in almost all of my colonies, so seeing mites wondering around is nothing I'm not used to; I just have never seen these particular mites before. I eventually just moved the ants into another formicarium and washed the infested one out. I haven't seen anymore since.

Here's some pictures

med_gallery_2_137_260875.jpg

med_gallery_2_137_885109.jpg

• ctantkeeper and rdurham02 like this

#2 Offline drtrmiller - Posted October 29 2017 - 3:44 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Those look like the same mites I see in fruit fly cultures, and people are so worried they'll harm the ants, but they don't parasitize any living thing.

• ctantkeeper likes this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#3 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted October 29 2017 - 5:48 AM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

I'm having the same EXACT problem with the EXACT same species of mite, if you could even consider it to be a problem. If anything, they are keeping the foraging area clean and possibly serving as food for my ants. The only thing that bothers me is the fact that they keep on escaping by the hundreds if not thousands. 

#4 Offline rdurham02 - Posted October 29 2017 - 6:06 AM

rdurham02

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • LocationPortland, Maine

I'm having the same EXACT problem with the EXACT same species of mite, if you could even consider it to be a problem. If anything, they are keeping the foraging area clean and possibly serving as food for my ants. The only thing that bothers me is the fact that they keep on escaping by the hundreds if not thousands. 

Ditto here as well. I have a persistent colony of these mites inhabiting my mealworm bin..no matter how clean I keep it. 

#5 Offline VoidElecent - Posted October 29 2017 - 7:19 AM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

I think these mites are either in the genus Tyrophagus or Saproglyphus, if that helps. 

• ctantkeeper likes this

#6 Offline WeatherAnt - Posted October 30 2017 - 2:14 AM

WeatherAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Yeah, I'd say that there are a few mites there. 

#7 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted October 30 2017 - 4:33 AM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationAvon, Connecticut

Oof, i had those mites in my old Pseudomyrmex colony. They are not parasitic, they are commensal. Try introducing predatory mites or just put your ants on a diet for a few days.

• ctantkeeper likes this
Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#8 Offline Works4TheGood - Posted October 30 2017 - 8:28 PM

Works4TheGood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • LocationState College, PA
My only encounter with mites was when they invaded my mealworm farm. They formed a powder on top of all of the oatmeal. I got rid of them by denying them water for a week, and then controlling the humidity levels more closely. Again, you could have a totally different kind of mite that thrives on dryness, but this was my one experience.
~Dan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users