• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

New Queen for founding Pogonomyrmex rugosus

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Pleming - Posted October 3 2017 - 2:09 PM

Pleming

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationLong Beach, CA

Today I had one of my Pogonomyrmex rugosus queens die and leave behind two workers. So I took the two workers and the brood and gave them to one of my Queens that never successfully got her brood going. I chilled them in the fridge for a few min to calm them down before introducing them to each other. When I first put them together they kind of stayed away from each other but there were no signs of aggression. I thought this was a good sign because I accidentally put two of these queens together when i caught them, and immediately they started to show aggression to one another. After about two hours the workers began to groom the queen and I also noticed the queen and a worker doing tropholaxis with one another. I will continue to monitor them. 

• FeedTheAnts and StopSpazzing like this

#2 Offline StopSpazzing - Posted October 3 2017 - 3:22 PM

StopSpazzing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • LocationFullerton, CA

Oh interesting. Was wondering about this. I'm curious about diff Pogonomyrmex spp and also nanitics while we are on the subject. Thanks for the info!

Edited by StopSpazzing, October 3 2017 - 3:22 PM.

> Ant Keeping Wiki is back up! Currently being migrated from old wiki. :)Looking to adopt out: Crematogaster sp. (Acrobat Ants) colonies

#3 Offline 123LordOfAnts123 - Posted October 3 2017 - 3:30 PM

123LordOfAnts123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  • LocationOrlando, Florida
Pogonomyrmex, in my experience, seems far more accepting than most when it comes to workers from other colonies, even ones far past callow hood. Nevertheless, I've also had workers massacre each other after a day or two of seemingly peaceful coexistence.

Another thing to note is that Pogonomyrmex are incapable of performing trophallaxis. Transfer of nutrients is accomplished by feeding from larvae and through the distribution of trophic eggs laid by workers.

Edited by 123LordOfAnts123, October 3 2017 - 3:31 PM.

• Ants853 likes this

#4 Offline Pleming - Posted October 3 2017 - 6:12 PM

Pleming

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationLong Beach, CA

Another thing to note is that Pogonomyrmex are incapable of performing trophallaxis. Transfer of nutrients is accomplished by feeding from larvae and through the distribution of trophic eggs laid by workers.

Interesting to know. Maybe they were just kissing then  :shout:

#5 Offline StopSpazzing - Posted October 3 2017 - 10:00 PM

StopSpazzing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • LocationFullerton, CA

Some lesbian ant action over here. Seems plausible. Rule 34

• Mettcollsuss likes this
> Ant Keeping Wiki is back up! Currently being migrated from old wiki. :)Looking to adopt out: Crematogaster sp. (Acrobat Ants) colonies

#6 Offline Pleming - Posted October 4 2017 - 12:12 PM

Pleming

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationLong Beach, CA

Some lesbian ant action over here. Seems plausible. Rule 34

HAHA

#7 Offline Pleming - Posted October 4 2017 - 12:15 PM

Pleming

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationLong Beach, CA

I checked on them today and all the brood were gone. I am guessing the Fail Queen ate them. The two workers are fine and they all seem to be living together normally. 

I did catch the queen laying an egg so we will see how that goes.

#8 Offline Pleming - Posted October 15 2017 - 11:49 PM

Pleming

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationLong Beach, CA

It has been two weeks since i introduced the queen to the two workers. They all seem to be doing fine, and a saw a fresh batch if eggs. 

#9 Offline Bryce - Posted October 17 2017 - 4:20 PM

Bryce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • LocationPhoenix Az
I used to keep them. They are sort of boring to me I don't enjoy haverster ants that much, But there sting is horrible. I got stung a few times. I would swell up but be ok. My middle boy got stung and his eyes swelled shut and had a rash from head to toe. Be careful these pack a huge punch of venom.

Edited by Bryce, October 17 2017 - 4:20 PM.

#10 Offline B2-Bomber-Ants - Posted October 17 2017 - 4:27 PM

B2-Bomber-Ants

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

I am having issues with my P. rugosus laying eggs, then they are gone, then around again, I don't know if she is hiding them or eating them and laying new ones. But I have 3 wild colonies nearby and I put a worker from each colony together over a weekend and they are completely accepting with each other. However I don't know if I am willing to put them with my only remaining queen.

#11 Offline Bryce - Posted October 17 2017 - 4:39 PM

Bryce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • LocationPhoenix Az
I wouldn't

#12 Offline Pleming - Posted October 23 2017 - 10:37 PM

Pleming

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationLong Beach, CA

I used to keep them. They are sort of boring to me I don't enjoy haverster ants that much, But there sting is horrible. I got stung a few times. I would swell up but be ok. My middle boy got stung and his eyes swelled shut and had a rash from head to toe. Be careful these pack a huge punch of venom.

I actually like how aggressive they are, and enjoy them eating seeds over insects. I don't have to worry about forgetting to feed them. That's a crazy story about your boy being stung. Ill try not to get stung. 

I am having issues with my P. rugosus laying eggs, then they are gone, then around again, I don't know if she is hiding them or eating them and laying new ones. But I have 3 wild colonies nearby and I put a worker from each colony together over a weekend and they are completely accepting with each other. However I don't know if I am willing to put them with my only remaining queen.

She is most likely eating them. During the founding stage this species is very sensitive in my opinion. I would put her in a dark place and heat her up with a cable or pad and don't check on her for weeks. 

#13 Offline B2-Bomber-Ants - Posted November 13 2017 - 3:53 PM

B2-Bomber-Ants

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Interesting, I will try that, Thanks

#14 Offline Ants_Texas - Posted November 13 2017 - 5:35 PM

Ants_Texas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • LocationTexas

My Pogonomyrmex Rugosus queen was an epic fail. You really do need to absolutely not even check up on her but once every 2 weeks. Mine had a single very tiny larva and a few eggs for about a month, and then randomly died.

#15 Offline Pleming - Posted November 13 2017 - 10:41 PM

Pleming

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationLong Beach, CA

My Pogonomyrmex Rugosus queen was an epic fail. You really do need to absolutely not even check up on her but once every 2 weeks. Mine had a single very tiny larva and a few eggs for about a month, and then randomly died.

Yes, they are very sensitive to light and vibrations. Also random deaths occur. I had two queens die leaving behind workers. I haven't had a death in awhile.

#16 Offline Pleming - Posted November 13 2017 - 10:43 PM

Pleming

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationLong Beach, CA

Also the queen is doing great now. She has eggs and larvae. She has fully excepted the two workers. 

I also did this with another queen and she also excepted the worker. 

#17 Offline dspdrew - Posted November 14 2017 - 12:47 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Yeah I do that all the time. It seems with young, small colonies, this works well. I recently sold a colony of P. rugosus that has mostly P. subnitidus workers. The queen wasn't producing until I combined them after the P. subnitidus queen died.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users