• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Large living ant colony on display in Southern California?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Offline TheElf2020 - Posted December 1 2014 - 7:49 PM

TheElf2020

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

I apologize if this is a very newbie question. I live in the LA area and I would love to take my kids to see a large ant colony. Does anyone know there is such a colony on display, maybe at the Natural History Museum or Science Center, or perhaps somewhere else in the LA area?

#2 Offline drtrmiller - Posted December 1 2014 - 7:55 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

http://zoo.sandiegoz...leaf-cutter-ant

Edited by drtrmiller, December 1 2014 - 7:56 PM.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#3 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted December 1 2014 - 7:58 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I think the closest you will get is the San Diego Zoo, where I think an Atta cephalotes colony is being kept. Atta cephalotes are a species of leaf cutter ant.

#4 Offline dspdrew - Posted December 1 2014 - 8:14 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

About four months ago I provided Los Angeles Museum of Natural History with a couple Pogonomyrmex colonies for an exhibit they supposedly have, so you might want to check there.

#5 Offline TheElf2020 - Posted December 2 2014 - 10:28 AM

TheElf2020

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Thank you all. One of the entomology curators at the LA Natural History Museum just emailed me: "In our museum Nature Lab there is a small living ant colony displaying under  a glass box." I will check it out and try to get to San Diego as well.

#6 Offline Tpro4 - Posted December 2 2014 - 11:02 AM

Tpro4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationNorth Hills, CA
Take some pictures and post it in the forum.
Remember Dragon Warrior, anything is possible when you have inner peace. - Master Shifu

Current Queens:
1 Unknown Pogomyemex
1 Solenopsis Xyloni

#7 Offline LAnt - Posted December 2 2014 - 6:09 PM

LAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

At the California Science Center, right next to the NHM and free, they have a pogonomyrmex above ground display and a myrmecocystus (honey pots) below ground view. Its part of their environments exhibit, in the desert room. They also got tortoises. Heres a picture that's not mine.This would be my dream outworld.

img_33001-90193.jpg

Edited by LAnt, December 2 2014 - 6:11 PM.

#8 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted December 2 2014 - 6:11 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Apparently, those Pogonomyrmex are from Drew... :thinking:

#9 Offline LAnt - Posted December 2 2014 - 6:28 PM

LAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles
I don't think so. These have been there longer.

#10 Offline dspdrew - Posted December 4 2014 - 5:39 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Well, if I remember right, she said they had a P. rogosus display, but the queen died. She then got a P. subnitidus and a P. rugosus from me to replace them with. She also described the nest to me, so without seeing the actual nest as well as the out world, it would be hard to say.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users