• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

What to do if your Formica podzolia queen dies

formica podzolia queen dies

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Offline Russell - Posted August 13 2017 - 11:46 PM

Russell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationVictoria Canada

Hi All

So I had a Formica podzolia queen die who had brood and aprox 5 workers. So rather then let the workers die I decided to introduce them to another Formica podzolia queen I had. I avoided any I had with workers and picked a queen with just brood to avoid worker on worker flighting. 

I removed the dead queen from the original test tube and taped the two tubes together with workers in one and new queen and brood in another. New queen ran in to new tube and a worker attached her biting onto her leg and chaos resulted. I quickly put the test tube in the freezer right on ice and put an ice pack on top. and watched very closely( please note I did not just put in regular fridge as I have tried this cooling method before and in queen or worker not cooled quick enough or not sleepy enough bad things happen. 

The Queen and worker flighting slowed (worker let queen go) and I left until queen and most workers actually fell over completely asleep. Then immediately removed the tube from the freezer( much longer could have killed them so do not walk away if you try this). 

I placed in a dark place and watched (within aprox 10 min the queen and workers woke up. She went back to original test tube and them workers slowly went over to her. She and workers interacted with no biting and after aprox 30 min I was pretty sure it had worked. Now the workers are taking care of her brood and helping her:). 

• skocko76 and lucas3431 like this

Camponotus Pennsylvanicus/Modus

Tetramorium sp. E

Formica Podzolica

Lasius Alienus

Lasius Niger

Formica Ravida 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users