• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Okeedoke22's Prenolepis Imparis Journal.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Okeedoke22 - Posted June 5 2016 - 5:30 PM

Okeedoke22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationNew York City
Hello

My Queens first nanotics have finally arrived😀. I have 2 Queens both caught on 3/24/2016.

Queen 1 has 5 nanotics. I only checked on her once since I adopted her. Queen 2 has only 1 nanotic but looks like she will have more soon. I checked on Queen 2 about every 10 days. It was hard since they were the only queens I had but I left them alone as much as possible. Both queens have a nice clean pile of brood also.

I kept both Queens in a dark drawer in a test tube setup. I applied no extra heat. They are in my bedroom cause it's the most quiet. I haven't used my air condition which has been rough but worth it. I am hoping to build a nice custom cabinet to hopefully hold a few colonies. Wondering if my bedroom closet would be a good place. Ideally I would be able to use my AC soon.

So far all my photos have been with my iPhone but I really need to invest in a nice camera. I think it will enhance the experience. I have seen some amazing photos from members of this forum and hoping to get close to those.

I want to thank everyone for all the help and inspiration. So happy to be part of this community.

Attached Images

• image.jpeg

Prenolepis Imparis

Tetramorium Sp. E

Crematogaster
Brachymyrmex Sp.

Lasius Claviger 

#2 Offline Okeedoke22 - Posted June 18 2016 - 6:20 AM

Okeedoke22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationNew York City
My macro lense attachment for my iPhone came. There is a big improvement with the pictures. It's not like some of you professional photographers but at least it's much improved.

Attached Images

• image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg

Prenolepis Imparis

Tetramorium Sp. E

Crematogaster
Brachymyrmex Sp.

Lasius Claviger 

#3 Offline Okeedoke22 - Posted July 5 2016 - 7:38 PM

Okeedoke22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationNew York City
Looks like I lost a worker. So now both queens have 4 workers. Not sure why. I have handled them more to feed them. They are very skittish. Do not wander very far from Cotton. I have placed food closer to them and They have fed. Now I left it at end of test tube and looks like they didn't touch it. I also put a very small cricket leg in test tube and they didn't touch it.

1 queen has a nice pile of eggs but the other I don"t see any. They could be on cotton so I'm missing them. I was thinking to leave them alone for 2 weeks and see how they are. I am worried they will need food though. If nothing happens hibernate the 1 queen.

In other news all my other Queens are doing great. Brachymyrmex all have a nice pile of brood. My Tetramorium Sp. E Queens have huge piles of brood. I boosted a Queen so she has 2 workers already. I only lost 1 Tetramorium Queen so far. I think that was because I put 2 queens together and she didn't accept the other queen. I have 6 together and they are doing great. Temperature in my bedroom where I keep them has stayed consistent at 80-83 F. It's killing me but they love it.

Edited by Okeedoke22, July 5 2016 - 7:40 PM.

Prenolepis Imparis

Tetramorium Sp. E

Crematogaster
Brachymyrmex Sp.

Lasius Claviger 

#4 Offline drtrmiller - Posted July 5 2016 - 8:33 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Prenolepis will begin to roast at 80+ F.  They are one of the few ant species that prefer slightly cooler temperatures, if I'm not mistaken.

Edited by drtrmiller, July 5 2016 - 8:33 PM.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#5 Offline Mdrogun - Posted July 5 2016 - 8:53 PM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationGainesville, FL

I keep my Prenolepis queen below or around 70 and she seems to love it.

Currently Keeping:
Trachymyrmex septentrionalis

Pheidole pilifera

Forelius sp. (Monogynous, bicolored) "Midwestern Forelius"
Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Formica sp. (microgena species)

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

#6 Offline Goldsystem - Posted July 5 2016 - 9:01 PM

Goldsystem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • LocationWichita Kansas
My P.imparis like aphids.

#7 Offline Okeedoke22 - Posted July 6 2016 - 5:07 AM

Okeedoke22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Thank you.

I have to find a cooler spot for them. I knew they liked lower temps but didn't realize 80F was so high for them.  

Prenolepis Imparis

Tetramorium Sp. E

Crematogaster
Brachymyrmex Sp.

Lasius Claviger 

#8 Offline T.C. - Posted August 12 2017 - 9:49 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,060 posts
How did these colonies do?