• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

California, 8-6-17

unidentifiedqueen

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AntPhycho - Posted August 6 2017 - 4:56 PM

AntPhycho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
The queen I want identified: https://ibb.co/it8yGa
She was found on the driveway, next to the dirt, in the high desert, of California.
It was 8-4-17 when I found her it was evening and it was sprinkling shortly before.
She is about 3/8 of an inch long.,
She has TWO petiole. (as corrected by Nathant2131)
She is black (as you can see).

Edited by AntPhycho, August 6 2017 - 5:01 PM.

Founding (for myself):                                                                                       My Shop

Solenopsis invicta experiments...                                                                     California

Ants & Formicaria

#2 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted August 6 2017 - 4:58 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts

That is two petioles.

#3 Offline AntPhycho - Posted August 6 2017 - 5:00 PM

AntPhycho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

That is two petioles.

Ok 2, sorry I'm new at the whole ant keeping hobby. This is one of my first queens.
  • Nathant2131 likes this

Founding (for myself):                                                                                       My Shop

Solenopsis invicta experiments...                                                                     California

Ants & Formicaria

#4 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 6 2017 - 6:01 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Please embed your pictures.

IMG_0704.jpg

#5 Offline AntPhycho - Posted August 6 2017 - 6:35 PM

AntPhycho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Please embed your pictures.

IMG_0704.jpg

The problem is for some reason it won't let me, I have tried jpg, png, and img.

Ants & Formicaria

#6 Offline StopSpazzing - Posted August 6 2017 - 6:44 PM

StopSpazzing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • LocationFullerton, CA

The problem is for some reason it won't let me, I have tried jpg, png, and img.

You have to use the actual picture link not a link to a page with the image:

https://image.ibb.co/bwTyGa/IMG_0704.jpg 

Edited by StopSpazzing, August 6 2017 - 6:45 PM.

> Ant Keeping Wiki is back up! Currently being migrated from old wiki. :)Looking to adopt out: Crematogaster sp. (Acrobat Ants) colonies

#7 Offline AntPhycho - Posted August 6 2017 - 8:47 PM

AntPhycho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Oh ok, now can anyone identify this queen please?

Edited by AntPhycho, August 6 2017 - 8:47 PM.

Ants & Formicaria

#8 Offline Martialis - Posted August 7 2017 - 5:14 PM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Better pics? 

Spoiler

#9 Offline AntPhycho - Posted August 7 2017 - 5:48 PM

AntPhycho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Better pics?

Sorry the only device I have that takes pictures takes then like that. I am guessing vermessor species but I don't know the exact species.

Edited by AntPhycho, August 7 2017 - 7:32 PM.

Ants & Formicaria

#10 Offline StopSpazzing - Posted August 7 2017 - 7:43 PM

StopSpazzing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • LocationFullerton, CA

Better pics?

Sorry the only device I have that takes pictures takes then like that. I am guessing vermessor species but I don't know the exact species.

can you take a picture with her outside the test tube? hard to see anything inside test tube.

Edited by StopSpazzing, August 7 2017 - 7:43 PM.

> Ant Keeping Wiki is back up! Currently being migrated from old wiki. :)Looking to adopt out: Crematogaster sp. (Acrobat Ants) colonies

#11 Offline AntPhycho - Posted August 7 2017 - 7:57 PM

AntPhycho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Well, the problem is she is kinda already in her egg laying stage, like she's in the back of my dark drawer laying eggs right now , soI don't wanna take her away from her brood. I will try to find another camera though, can make any promises it will be better.

Edited by AntPhycho, August 7 2017 - 7:58 PM.

Ants & Formicaria

#12 Offline StopSpazzing - Posted August 7 2017 - 8:06 PM

StopSpazzing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • LocationFullerton, CA

Well, the problem is she is kinda already in her egg laying stage, like she's in the back of my dark drawer laying eggs right now , soI don't wanna take her away from her brood. I will try to find another camera though, can make any promises it will be better.

since you are using plastic, clarity will be poor no matter the camera, if you don't want a positive ID then not sure if we can help you out further.

Edited by StopSpazzing, August 7 2017 - 8:09 PM.

#13 Offline AntPhycho - Posted August 7 2017 - 8:24 PM

AntPhycho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Ok, I know your like an expert at this hobby, and I'm pretty sure you know it's not good to take a queen out of a test tube when she's laying brood and just getting comfortable. I will still try to adjust the lighting and maybe get a better camera, but I just don't wanna chance taking her out at this very important stage.

Ants & Formicaria

#14 Offline cpman - Posted August 7 2017 - 8:29 PM

cpman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Ok, I know your like an expert at this hobby, and I'm pretty sure you know it's not good to take a queen out of a test tube when she's laying brood and just getting comfortable. I will still try to adjust the lighting and maybe get a better camera, but I just don't wanna chance taking her out at this very important stage.

Leave her in the test tube. Just be aware that you probably won't be able to get an ID until there are workers unless you could get better photos through the tube.

#15 Offline gcsnelling - Posted August 8 2017 - 2:41 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Gonna go out on a limb here and suggest this is Pogonomyrmex rugosus, they would be flying this time of there in that area.

#16 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted August 8 2017 - 3:39 PM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

I agree with it being some kind of Pogonomyrmex.

I accidentally froze all my ants 

#17 Offline AntPhycho - Posted August 8 2017 - 4:45 PM

AntPhycho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Thanks you guys but is there any chance it is a vermessor. I will update you guys when the first workers emerge.

Ants & Formicaria

#18 Offline gcsnelling - Posted August 8 2017 - 6:02 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Well it depends on where in the high desert you found her. So a little more detail would be good.

#19 Offline AntPhycho - Posted August 8 2017 - 7:14 PM

AntPhycho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Victorville area, high desert California.

Ants & Formicaria

#20 Offline gcsnelling - Posted August 9 2017 - 2:24 AM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

If shiny glossy jet black then Veromessor pergandei, if more dull reddish black then Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Veromessor andrei would be very VERY rare in Victorville but is quite common up closer to the mtns.

• nurbs likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users