• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Is this a Canonus or Epsonius sp?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Foogoo - Posted November 2 2014 - 8:00 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

"Photocopier disaster!"

Not my picture. On a serious note, Camponotus?

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#2 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted November 2 2014 - 8:03 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

What do you mean by Canonus or Epsonius? What are those?

#3 Offline Crystals - Posted November 2 2014 - 8:09 PM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

What do you mean by Canonus or Epsonius? What are those?

He was making a joke, referring to some common photocopier brands (Canon - Canonus).  :D

They may be Camponotus, but they could be something else as well. 

We would have needed better closeups, or even an idea of where this was to know which species are even in the area.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#4 Offline Foogoo - Posted November 2 2014 - 8:29 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

He was making a joke, referring to some common photocopier brands (Canon - Canonus).  :D

They may be Camponotus, but they could be something else as well. 

We would have needed better closeups, or even an idea of where this was to know which species are even in the area.

Crystals is right, I was attempting a funny :rolleyes: . Too bad it's not mine, instant formicarium! What species other than Camponotus have cocooned pupae?

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#5 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted November 2 2014 - 8:33 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Formicinae have pupae. 

Sorry, I should have noticed at "Canon-" I am only getting in to photography. :)

#6 Offline dspdrew - Posted November 3 2014 - 7:21 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Maybe it's Camponotus xeroxicus... j/k. Those are pretty big though. That copier does seem to make a nice formicarium.

#7 Offline Mathiacus - Posted November 3 2014 - 11:51 AM

Mathiacus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • LocationNSW, Australia
Make sure that machine is unplugged! If they learn how to hit the copy button the world will be overrun in weeks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users