• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Dirt Formicarium

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Ants Galore - Posted June 7 2017 - 5:56 PM

Ants Galore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas
So I need a dirt formicarium for Solenopsis Invicta. I've dug up some dirt from my backyard. It's got dead roots, some grass, and dry dirt blocks with roots stuck in them. When I spray water into the nest, I suspect it will probably start growing mold. Filters don't work. How do I use the dirt and will dead roots and stuff really mold?

#2 Offline Ants4fun - Posted June 7 2017 - 6:25 PM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

So I need a dirt formicarium for Solenopsis Invicta. I've dug up some dirt from my backyard. It's got dead roots, some grass, and dry dirt blocks with roots stuck in them. When I spray water into the nest, I suspect it will probably start growing mold. Filters don't work. How do I use the dirt and will dead roots and stuff really mold?

Dead roots and stuff will really mold. I would bake it in your oven to remove microorganisms then add your ants and springtails to eat any mold that comes up.

#3 Offline Chromerust - Posted June 8 2017 - 4:23 PM

Chromerust

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • Locationsouthern California
You don't need dirt to keep S. Invicta successfully. They'll use the dirt to their advantage and mastermind escapes.

#4 Offline BMM - Posted June 8 2017 - 7:36 PM

BMM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

I normally collect dirt from ant hills, but when I can't I grind up some dirt and "strain" it a few times. That usually gets 99% of the rocks and plant matter out. I bake it afterwards just to be safe.

• Shareallicu likes this

#5 Offline Shareallicu - Posted June 8 2017 - 8:55 PM

Shareallicu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

I normally collect dirt from ant hills, but when I can't I grind up some dirt and "strain" it a few times. That usually gets 99% of the rocks and plant matter out. I bake it afterwards just to be safe.

I strained my dirt, but didn't bake it...

#6 Offline Loops117 - Posted June 9 2017 - 4:59 AM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • LocationSouth Lyon, Michigan

I just buy organic soil from lowes, home depot, menards..... Honestly, you'll spend $8-$12 for a bag, and it'll last you forever. Also, it's already pre-screened, and full of much more "good stuff" then regular dirt collected out side.

#7 Offline dspdrew - Posted June 9 2017 - 6:39 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I highly doubt you're going to have a mold problem in a dirt nest. The ants themselves keep mold from growing. They're only going to dig the nest as big as they need it, so there shouldn't be any unkept areas of the nest where mold might start to grow. I have tons of colonies kept in dirt, and the only time I see a mold breakout is when the colony dies. Putting springtails in the nest will help even more.

• AntsMAN, Martialis and Cameron C. Thomas like this

#8 Offline Ants Galore - Posted June 11 2017 - 5:15 AM

Ants Galore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas
Okay thanks! Btw the dirt was in the fridge for a couple hours. Though that wouldn't kill bacteria

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users