• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Monomorium ID Freedom, New Hampshire, USA 4/16/17

Best Answer Nathant2131 , April 17 2017 - 5:12 AM

The colony wasn't as active as yesterday, but they were active nonetheless.  :D

DfkvQz2.jpg

rAMETJ0.jpg

ykcsrXf.jpg

ll5piub.jpg

S4zGC7K.jpg

Vn7wKKB.jpg

ahXEzRv.jpg

5rydChg.jpg

8XJfAXH.jpg

l2bXuwO.jpg

czCHSYf.jpg

asmAHqE.jpg

ZpL5ryO.jpg

HwKgwxf.jpg

oAkofhA.jpg

KLIqNPr.jpg

dVWYfQt.jpg

cvQBPXE.jpg

8NyGn8N.jpg

oLkTLTB.jpg

Sbjfo7d.jpg

xvgqFoP.jpg

dDPDity.jpg

VmEXX82.jpg

V1iPbo8.jpg

OEn1JFh.jpg

YGj5ylm.jpg

Monomorium emarginatum.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted April 16 2017 - 3:41 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts

1. Location of collection: Freedom, New Hampshire
2. Date of collection: 4/16/2017 About 6:30 PM.
3. Habitat of collection: A very sandy area with forest all around it; Habitat in pictures
4. Length (from head to gaster): Roughly 2mm
5. Color, hue, pattern and texture: Black gaster and head, faintly with a dark red mesosoma.
6. Distinguishing characteristics: Postpetiole present. 
7. Distinguishing behavior: Were contructing their nest; These likely very recently surfaced as the snow was still clearing up, and this was one of the (if not the) warmest day(s) of the year so far for Freedom.
8. Nest description: A single mound constructed with sand, with two entrances. Workers were grouped in, around and on it.

EEZRIyC.jpg

UiKf7aa.jpg

dqO1dAv.jpg

BRD6NSG.jpg

FP3Zstc.jpg

0kNxN08.jpg

4NoE4bi.jpg

04yd3lm.jpg

n6BCV0p.jpg

I am pretty confident with Monomorium sp., probably M. emarginatum, but just wanted a second opinion. If these are Monomorium, I am pleased to find this due to their patchy-ish distribution. I find these strangely fascinating and unique for a reason I cannnot explain.

Edited by Nathant2131, April 17 2017 - 4:57 AM.

• thosaka likes this

#2 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted April 16 2017 - 4:18 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

If these are Monomorium (which I am almost positive they are) I believe they would be M. emarginatum since they are the most abundant in the area I caught them in, their color, but most importantly, with these ok pics, the propodeal declivity appears longer than the propodeum's surface length, not vice-versa. I probably need better pictures.

Edited by Nathant2131, April 16 2017 - 4:39 PM.

#3 Offline VoidElecent - Posted April 16 2017 - 5:46 PM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

I actually think these are Monomorium minimum; they're known to live in sandy soil.

edit: They're one of my favourite species, too. They're just straight [censored].

Edited by VoidElecent, April 16 2017 - 5:47 PM.

#4 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted April 16 2017 - 5:54 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

I actually think these are Monomorium minimum; they're known to live in sandy soil.

edit: They're one of my favourite species, too. They're just straight [censored].

I did a quick google search and they look very similar to what I saw. They seem a little more fond of Southern New England but that doesn't mean anything.

Unfortunately, the key I'm using doesn't include M. minimum for some reason. Time for some research.  :thinking:

Edited by Nathant2131, April 16 2017 - 5:56 PM.

#5 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted April 16 2017 - 6:20 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

That was easy. The way to differentiate M. minimum and M. emarginatum are exactly what it is for M. viridum and M. emarginatum; If it is M. emarginatum, the Propodeal surface is shorter than it's declivity. I have a bit more of an extensive ID to do if this is M. viridum or M. minimum. I don't have the equipment for that if so.

http://www.antwiki.o...f_the_New_World

So bottom line is, This is Monomorium emarginatumMonomorium viridum, or Monomorium minimum. I have a strong feeling it is M. emarginatum since it is the only Monomorium species that has been collected in Northern New Hampshire. The sand habitat also suggests that.

The second most possible species is M. minimum becuase they also enjoy a sandy environment, and have been collected in Southern NH.

M. viridum is unlikely since their distribution only hits Rhode Island and SouthEastern Massachusetts, and like open pine barrens in only pure sand (although I have no idea what those two things are.)

I might be able to narrow it down a bit with more pics, but if it boils down to M. minimum vs. M. viridum (which is least likely) I will have to leave it at that.

I am leaving Freedom tomorrow, so I probably won't have enough time to see this colony, and plus it is supposed to be fairly cool out. They might not be active anyways.

Edited by Nathant2131, April 17 2017 - 4:45 AM.

#6 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted April 17 2017 - 5:12 AM   Best Answer

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

The colony wasn't as active as yesterday, but they were active nonetheless.  :D

DfkvQz2.jpg

rAMETJ0.jpg

ykcsrXf.jpg

ll5piub.jpg

S4zGC7K.jpg

Vn7wKKB.jpg

ahXEzRv.jpg

5rydChg.jpg

8XJfAXH.jpg

l2bXuwO.jpg

czCHSYf.jpg

asmAHqE.jpg

ZpL5ryO.jpg

HwKgwxf.jpg

oAkofhA.jpg

KLIqNPr.jpg

dVWYfQt.jpg

cvQBPXE.jpg

8NyGn8N.jpg

oLkTLTB.jpg

Sbjfo7d.jpg

xvgqFoP.jpg

dDPDity.jpg

VmEXX82.jpg

V1iPbo8.jpg

OEn1JFh.jpg

YGj5ylm.jpg

Monomorium emarginatum.

Edited by Nathant2131, April 17 2017 - 5:12 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users