• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

The Prenolepis imparis Thread

• Please log in to reply
240 replies to this topic

#121 Offline Derpy - Posted February 1 2018 - 12:17 PM

Derpy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts
  • LocationSan Jose CA

Yeah, I caught a prenolepis imparis queen back in November, she is still alive, but no eggs:(

You 100% on the ID?  November seems really really early for P. imparis, well, at least for us on the East coast, not sure what California flight are like.  The Fall here is all Lasius flights, which look super-similar to P. imparis.

I was thinking that it may have been a prenolepis dumping flight, where all the alates that didn’t fly during nuptial flight season were evicted. But actually now that I think it, it might actually be a lasuis alienus queen.

-1x Parasitic Formica Sp. Colony

-1x Pogonomymrex Californicus Colony

-1x Camponotus Hyatti Colony

#122 Offline rdurham02 - Posted February 1 2018 - 2:27 PM

rdurham02

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • LocationPortland, Maine

Patiently awaiting for these guys to fly in New England since I totally missed them last year!

#123 Offline noebl1 - Posted February 1 2018 - 2:37 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
  • LocationNorthern Massachusetts

Patiently awaiting for these guys to fly in New England since I totally missed them last year!

Not that long now :)  They flew in my area of MA last year on 4/10 (I believe south of us flew a day or two prior).  Looking at the temperature chart, they flew almost immediately when the air temperature broke 80F where I was. I saw a couple males prior when it was upper 70Fs, then shortly after it turned 80F they were *everywhere* by my office.  Sidewalks had little ruby colored alates and dealates wobbling around.

EDIT: It was also the first 80F degree day of the season.

Edited by noebl1, February 1 2018 - 2:38 PM.

• rdurham02 likes this

#124 Offline AntsMaryland - Posted February 1 2018 - 2:43 PM

AntsMaryland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Anyone knows when this species flys in Maryland?

Aphaenogaster cf. rudis 

Tetramorium immigrans 

Tapinoma sessile

Formica subsericea

Pheidole sp.

Camponotus nearcticus

#125 Offline rdurham02 - Posted February 1 2018 - 3:40 PM

rdurham02

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • LocationPortland, Maine

Not that long now :)  They flew in my area of MA last year on 4/10 (I believe south of us flew a day or two prior).  Looking at the temperature chart, they flew almost immediately when the air temperature broke 80F where I was. I saw a couple males prior when it was upper 70Fs, then shortly after it turned 80F they were *everywhere* by my office.  Sidewalks had little ruby colored alates and dealates wobbling around.

EDIT: It was also the first 80F degree day of the season.

Cool beans! Can't wait! :)

• noebl1 likes this

#126 Offline Diesel - Posted February 1 2018 - 4:36 PM

Diesel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • LocationSouthern Maine

do they fly in Maine?

Ant Species kept

Temnothorax Longispinosus.-Journal(discontinued)-(formerly)

Camponotus Noveboracensis (formerly)

Camponotus Nearticus-formerly

Tetramorium sp.-formerly

Camponotus Pennsylvanicus Queen & brood.-formerly

Tapinoma Sessile-Journal (3 queen colony)-formerly

​Tapinoma  Sessile #2 (2 queen colony)-formerly

Aphaenogaster Picea-Journal-active

Crematogaster sp.(Cerasi or Lineolata) Queen with 3 workers and brood-formerly

​Crematogaster sp. #2 (Cerasi or Lineolata) Queen with brood-formerly

Formica sp. polygenus-active 300+ workers-active

Formica Subsericea-active 25+ workers-active

Myrmica Rubra 400+ workers 3 queens-active

#127 Offline noebl1 - Posted February 1 2018 - 4:39 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

do they fly in Maine?

@batspiderfish had reported seeing them in Portland on 4/29/17.

EDIT:  I found that in my email archive from the Massachusetts Anting thread, but looks like his post was deleted (as I couldn't find it).

Edited by noebl1, February 1 2018 - 4:44 PM.

• Diesel likes this

#128 Offline T.C. - Posted February 2 2018 - 11:32 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

They flew in Wisconsin on April 17th last year  believe. Don't quote me on that though.

“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#129 Offline VoidElecent - Posted February 2 2018 - 3:31 PM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

They flew in Wisconsin on April 17th last year  believe. Don't quote me on that though.

Quoted. You asked for it, bud. 

I wanted to clarify for those of you who were still unsure or unaware. Prenolepis imparis are typically the first ants to fly in the year; that does not mean that they consciously keep track of time and shove alates out of the nest on a particular date. They will, however, use environmental cues such as outside surface temperature to accurately time initiation of nuptial flights. In most locations, this happens to coincide with March and April timelines.

For example, Prenolepis imparis first flew heavily in late February last year, in Philadelphia. This wasn't because they thought they'd come out early— it was because it was the second or third relatively warm day of the year. I'd simply check the weather forecast every once in a while and count the warm days; Prenolepis will likely fly on the second, third, and fourth days above 60° - 65° F.

Now, this could mean a couple things. For one, you can probably expect winter ants to fly in warmer locations such as the South or California (as we have already experienced) up to a few months earlier than in Northern states. Second, with globally increasing temperatures, you can probably expect them to fly earlier than historical records might indicate. 

Good luck everyone!

• noebl1 likes this

#130 Offline Skwiggledork - Posted February 2 2018 - 3:52 PM

Skwiggledork

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • LocationUlster county, NY

Is it 60F-65F I read somewhere it was usually the second day 50F+.

#131 Offline noebl1 - Posted February 2 2018 - 3:52 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

I don't think people were expecting the same dates as absolutes ( at least I hope they weren't :) ), but I think just looking approx time frames as you suggested. 

I'm intrigued to hear they fly at the lower temperatures of 60-65F, as everything I have seen is 70-80F.  However, mostly that's been observations/posts by people and not any scientific research so may not be the most accurate.  Last year we had three 65-70F days in a row on Feb 23-25th with no flights observed.  It didn't rain until the 25th when it looks like a cold front went thru.  It was then below 60F the entire month of March until they flew April 10th when it hit 80F (and broke 60F for the first time since Feb 25th).  

EDIT:  For clarity, Feb 23-25th were also the first days of 2017 above 60F since the Fall.

Edited by noebl1, February 2 2018 - 4:02 PM.

• VoidElecent likes this

#132 Offline VoidElecent - Posted February 2 2018 - 6:50 PM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

I think exact temperatures can get fuzzy, too; it's all relative.

For example, I'd say the average temperature in January in Philadelphia last year hovered around 20° F; 60°-65° was a huge leap from that. According to YsTheAnt, they flew yesterday in Cupertino in at 72° F. I've heard of flights in Canada at 50° F, and flights in Florida at 80° F. If the temperature in your region is typically very low, I wouldn't wait around for a sunny 85° F summer day, the Prenolepis colonies in your region of North America have probably adapted to fly in moderately, but sufficiently warm weather.

Now that I think about it, you could probably establish some sort of a relationship between temperature, time of day, time of year, and location of nuptial flights. It would be interesting to see how they come together.

I'm no expert on the matter, this is just what I've learned from my own anting exploits and much more experienced hobbyists on the forum.

Edited by VoidElecent, February 2 2018 - 6:51 PM.

• LC3, noebl1 and rdurham02 like this

#133 Offline Derpy - Posted February 2 2018 - 10:53 PM

Derpy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts
  • LocationSan Jose CA
Today YsTheAnt, another one of my friends who isn't on the forum, and I found over 80 prenolepis queens!
9YKSa5e.jpg

Edited by Derpy, February 3 2018 - 10:17 AM.

• nurbs and FeedTheAnts like this

-1x Parasitic Formica Sp. Colony

-1x Pogonomymrex Californicus Colony

-1x Camponotus Hyatti Colony

#134 Offline noebl1 - Posted February 3 2018 - 7:19 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

I think exact temperatures can get fuzzy, too; it's all relative.

For example, I'd say the average temperature in January in Philadelphia last year hovered around 20° F; 60°-65° was a huge leap from that. According to YsTheAnt, they flew yesterday in Cupertino in at 72° F. I've heard of flights in Canada at 50° F, and flights in Florida at 80° F. If the temperature in your region is typically very low, I wouldn't wait around for a sunny 85° F summer day, the Prenolepis colonies in your region of North America have probably adapted to fly in moderately, but sufficiently warm weather.

Now that I think about it, you could probably establish some sort of a relationship between temperature, time of day, time of year, and location of nuptial flights. It would be interesting to see how they come together.

I'm no expert on the matter, this is just what I've learned from my own anting exploits and much more experienced hobbyists on the forum.

This is one of the best ideas/theories/hypothesis I have read, thanks for posting this :)

Edited by noebl1, February 3 2018 - 7:39 AM.

#135 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted February 3 2018 - 10:14 AM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Also, they have flown for the past 3 days, maybe even today, so keep in mind that they might fly for multiple days in a row.

Instagram          Journal           Shop

#136 Offline Solenoqueen - Posted February 3 2018 - 8:02 PM

Solenoqueen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Where should I look for these :)

Sorry I'm in San Diego I'm very clueless as well.

:>

#137 Offline noebl1 - Posted February 4 2018 - 8:42 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

On a different tangent from collecting...

Has anyone seen P. imparis laying behaviour?  The P. imparis I collected last April laid very late, and the first workers weren't hatching until July.  She did not lay a second time in the Fall.  On Dec 1st I put them into the basement for 50F degree temps (as suggested by Goldsystem who's had success), and pulled them out about Feb 1st.  They've started taking food (well they never technically stopped), and killed one of the workers and ate her, so I added some protein and they ate that as well.  Today I noticed the queen (who barely moves what so ever), has been pacing around the cotton ball of her test tube, rubbing/tapping her gaster against the cotton.  I'm hoping she's considering re-laying for her second time, but not sure if this is just typical behaviour I haven't observed before. Thanks!

Edited by noebl1, February 4 2018 - 8:44 AM.

#138 Offline Jamie_Garrison - Posted February 5 2018 - 4:38 AM

Jamie_Garrison

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • LocationNortheast Florida

I am Jacksonville Florida,  I just got back from a cruise I hope i did not miss them flying???

#139 Offline Jadeninja9 - Posted February 10 2018 - 12:00 AM

Jadeninja9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco Bay Area, CA
I just read the article that was put into circulation earlier on in this thread.

http://www.bio.fsu.e...ions/1987-3.pdf

I found something really interesting: “Temperature almost certainly plays a role in the length of the estivation period 1 to 2 months in ohio, 7 to 8 months Florida.” This means that depending on the climate where you live, your ants will be active for more of the year or for less.

#140 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted February 10 2018 - 10:35 AM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

I just read the article that was put into circulation earlier on in this thread.

http://www.bio.fsu.e...ions/1987-3.pdf

I found something really interesting: “Temperature almost certainly plays a role in the length of the estivation period 1 to 2 months in ohio, 7 to 8 months Florida.” This means that depending on the climate where you live, your ants will be active for more of the year or for less.

For the bay, I think it is late September to march, when the colonies around me stop foraging, I'll know for sure. Another way people tell is that when they are preparing for estavation(? Idk how to spell), the foragers and all workers are almost always at least semi-repletes.

Instagram          Journal           Shop

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users