• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

FSTP's Formicarium Build Journal **Photos Finally Rehosted**

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#41 Offline FSTP - Posted January 27 2017 - 8:37 PM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

Hey JPS,

They're not hard to find. They're the little ones used to house security and surveillance cameras. The bottom part is just a petri dish in the corresponding sizes.

-Jess

#42 Offline dspdrew - Posted January 28 2017 - 1:36 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Small update. 

I plant on making some formicariums out of these supplies I got today. They're little domes and petri dishes I will combine to make chambers. I'm hoping to use these to house CA's native leaf cutter ant. They will have HS bottoms which I will integrate my water reservoirs in, I will use the hard acrylic tubing to connect the three.

fungusfarm_zpsl69yighn.jpg

I wonder what it's going to be like trying to open those when there's a colony living in them.

• Martialis and thosaka like this

#43 Offline CrazyLegs - Posted January 28 2017 - 2:35 PM

CrazyLegs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • LocationVerrierdale, Queensland, Australia

I'm imagining the bases being glued down to some sort of display platform. :)

#44 Offline soulsynapse - Posted March 16 2017 - 3:15 PM

soulsynapse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Where'd you find your acrylic boxes? Gorgeous formicariums :)

Come join 3,400 other ant keepers on the Antkeeping Discord

14,000 messages a day

Friendly and helpful :D

#45 Offline Jelly - Posted March 17 2017 - 10:08 AM

Jelly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Awesome tutorial! Thanks

• FSTP likes this

#46 Offline FSTP - Posted March 19 2017 - 8:38 PM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

Ok so I decided to make a different style of formicarium to accommodate the newly captured Pogonomyrmex queen I recently found. She wasn't liking her test tube it seemed and you guys suggested to give her a setup she could dig in. So I made something with a couple of large petri dishes, some hydro-stone, sterile modeling dirt, and a WaterPort™ like the ones in my other builds.

Here it is. Its just a prototype I'm testing, if it works I'll further refine its design.

th_340306352_IMG_1154_zpsz69n8bgl_122_51

th_340307675_IMG_1155_zpsmghetw0e_122_21

th_340309738_IMG_1157_zpsbfjy5cuo_122_14

I'm hoping that since the only spot she can dig is that tubing piece she'll start digging there, as I also started a small hole to encourage her to start there.

The way I designed it will allow for petri dished of various sizes to be attached as the colony grows. Since its expandable I"ve been calling it "PogoPlex" lol

So what do you guys think?

Where'd you find your acrylic boxes? Gorgeous formicariums :)

I got them custom made from a plastic fab shop called lorexpl1, they have an eBay store with lots of cool pre-made enclosures. Or if they don't have exactly what you want they will custom make one to fit your needs. They're also pretty reasonable on their pricing IMO.

Edited by FSTP, March 27 2020 - 1:01 PM.

• ctantkeeper, T.C., CallMeCraven and 2 others like this

#47 Offline CrazyLegs - Posted March 20 2017 - 8:23 PM

CrazyLegs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • LocationVerrierdale, Queensland, Australia

Very nice. (y)

• FSTP likes this

#48 Offline FSTP - Posted March 21 2017 - 12:05 AM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

Well so far this concept is working rather well. I caught another queen and placed her in my new style formicarium and she found the entrance to the nest and right away started digging the dirt out of the tube.

th_343661162_IMG_1214_zpspp1aqqta_122_47

th_343659737_IMG_1202_zpswrpjkx50_122_17

th_343663502_IMG_1217_zpsrh0r8rq3_122_20

th_343656710_IMG_1195_zpsbd2weadq_122_53

th_343654552_IMG_1191_zpshazpw25p_122_48

Very nice. (y)

Thank you!

Edited by FSTP, March 27 2020 - 1:18 PM.

• ctantkeeper and CrazyLegs like this

#49 Offline Jelly - Posted April 14 2017 - 3:27 PM

Jelly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

This might sound silly, but what kind of dirt is this?

#50 Offline FSTP - Posted April 28 2017 - 9:34 AM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

This might sound silly, but what kind of dirt is this?

Sorry I didn't see your question. 

its a basing material from this website https://us-store.war...ucts/rocky-sand

• Jelly likes this

#51 Offline CallMeCraven - Posted April 28 2017 - 1:41 PM

CallMeCraven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationElko, NV

Awesome designs. Assuming its not a trade secret, I have a question:

Does the waterporttm (lol) on your new pogoplex lead to a petridish covered in mesh similar to your original design, or does it simply hydrate the hyrdrostone in the formicarium?

Current Colony:

4x Camponotus (hyatti?)

Harmony with land is like harmony with a friend; you cannot cherish his right hand and chop off his left.

-Aldo Leopold

#52 Offline FSTP - Posted April 28 2017 - 2:14 PM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

Yeah it uses the same waterporttm (its not really trademarked that was a little joke) . I have it placed in the floor of the digging chamber. Currently when I add water which is about once every  7-10 days I over fill the Waterport slightly so a bit of water gets absorbed be the surrounding dirt. 

If someone wanted to have longer watering intervals they could just make a later waterport using a larger petri dish. The one I used was 30mm. I don't have a huge collection of ants so I don't mind having to water that often I find it keeps me more responsible in maintaining the ants if I have to have scheduled watering and maintenance.

Edited by FSTP, April 28 2017 - 2:15 PM.

• Jelly likes this

#53 Offline CallMeCraven - Posted April 30 2017 - 4:39 PM

CallMeCraven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationElko, NV

Yeah it uses the same waterporttm (its not really trademarked that was a little joke) . I have it placed in the floor of the digging chamber. Currently when I add water which is about once every  7-10 days I over fill the Waterport slightly so a bit of water gets absorbed be the surrounding dirt. 

If someone wanted to have longer watering intervals they could just make a later waterport using a larger petri dish. The one I used was 30mm. I don't have a huge collection of ants so I don't mind having to water that often I find it keeps me more responsible in maintaining the ants if I have to have scheduled watering and maintenance.

lol i assumed the tm was a joke but I've seen lesser things trademarked. I thought i saw the mesh under the dirt in your pics but i wasn't sure. This new design looks pretty great for founding formicaria, and the larger petri dish idea also sounds like a possible winner.

• FSTP likes this

Current Colony:

4x Camponotus (hyatti?)

Harmony with land is like harmony with a friend; you cannot cherish his right hand and chop off his left.

-Aldo Leopold

#54 Offline brian - Posted May 2 2017 - 6:16 PM

brian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • LocationNorth West Indiana

How did you make the water tower? I mean is that just a small circular container with wire mesh on the top with a tube leading to it? :)

Basically yes. 

Here are some pictures explaining it since I just happened to make some more today.

First I take a 30mm petri dish and cut out the lid:
waterres5_zpsxmwl1pko.jpg

Then take some 100 micron nylon mesh and double it then epoxy the petri dish closed:
waterres2_zpsgr8cssah.jpg

After it the epoxy dries and cures cut them out and drill small hole on the side corresponding with the size of tubing.
waterres4_zpsmalekwtr.jpg

waterres3_zpscds7jnlh.jpg

Then thread the clave onto the tubing and insert tubing into the water reservoir.
waterres1_zpsxagp03l9.jpg

Really simple.

Hope that explains it somewhat better.

Do you have a link to where others can buy those self sealing quick connects.

#55 Offline FSTP - Posted May 2 2017 - 6:22 PM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

I have lots of access to medical equipment and supplies, so I just use mine. However, I did a quick search and found this place however I've never ordered from them.

This is a different brand then the ones 'm using but they work exactly the same.

http://www.chinookme...cgi?&item=02158

• CallMeCraven and brian like this

#56 Offline brian - Posted May 3 2017 - 5:51 PM

brian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • LocationNorth West Indiana

I have lots of access to medical equipment and supplies, so I just use mine. However, I did a quick search and found this place however I've never ordered from them.

This is a different brand then the ones 'm using but they work exactly the same.

Thank you.

#57 Offline zlez93 - Posted May 4 2017 - 5:17 PM

zlez93

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

For the hearth design, how exactly did you create the chamber?

Also, would it not have been easier to just use the small tubing and leave the clave out ?

• aznphenom likes this

#58 Offline T.C. - Posted February 1 2018 - 9:49 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

You should update these pictures. ;)

“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#59 Offline AntsCalifornia - Posted May 28 2018 - 9:10 PM

AntsCalifornia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

I know that in a lot of formicariums the ants are able to drink from the water source and it provides humidity. I was wondering, does the water tower provide all the hydration the ants need, or do you give them a water source to drink from? I don't think ants can drink through mesh that easily...

#60 Offline AntsCalifornia - Posted June 7 2018 - 10:17 AM

AntsCalifornia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Thank you.

I did a quick search using the number he posted, MP1000-C, and found this https://www.vitality...-connector.html as the first result. You have to pay a $7.00 shipping fee and I don't know how to get the tubing for it, but those are the exact same ones he uses.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users