• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Lasius umbratus

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AntsMAN - Posted June 17 2016 - 2:49 PM

AntsMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

I just found another Lasius umbratus queen, I'm going now to look for some neoniger brood for her. Any tips for keeping them?

Edited by AntsMAN, July 10 2016 - 6:53 AM.

Current queens/colonies

Camponotus novaeboracensis x2

Camponotus pennsylvanicus x2

Camponotus herculeanus x1

Formica sp. x1

Lasius americanus x1  (Lasius alienus)

Lasius neoniger x1

Crematogastor cerasi x1

Myrmica sp. x1

#2 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted June 17 2016 - 3:32 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Try to only get host workers which are tending to the brood you plan to take, as they are the least combative. If you notice any callow workers, grab those instead.

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#3 Offline AntsMAN - Posted June 17 2016 - 3:48 PM

AntsMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts

OK. thanks.

Current queens/colonies

Formica sp. x1

Lasius neoniger x1

Crematogastor cerasi x1

Myrmica sp. x1

#4 Offline AntsMAN - Posted June 18 2016 - 7:45 AM

AntsMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Went home for lunch today and she was dying only 12 hours in the test tube, was planning to get her set up today after work. I took her out and she died in my hand. I'm guessing they need to be setup with callow ants and brood from another Lasius sp. right away, and from what I've read it's quite difficult to get them started and going. So today I plan on looking for two and getting them setup right away. Hope to find some others today as well :)

Current queens/colonies

Formica sp. x1

Lasius neoniger x1

Crematogastor cerasi x1

Myrmica sp. x1

#5 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted June 18 2016 - 8:34 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

I'm sorry to hear that. From listening to how much more trouble people have with this species, it makes me think there is just something different about the populations in Maine. I only have mysterious deaths occur with Acanthomyops, while Chthonolasius seems very hardy.

Did you offer her any food?

Edited by Batspiderfish, June 18 2016 - 8:35 AM.

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

#6 Offline AntsMAN - Posted June 18 2016 - 5:26 PM

AntsMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Caught two more today when I took my nephews on a hike. Gave them some honey and water, tomorrow I'm going to try to find a wild Lasius colony to pillage lol

Current queens/colonies

Formica sp. x1

Lasius neoniger x1

Crematogastor cerasi x1

Myrmica sp. x1

#7 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted June 18 2016 - 6:28 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

They are certainly abundant and easy to find (especially in the forest.) Good luck!

----

#8 Offline AntsMAN - Posted June 19 2016 - 12:56 PM

AntsMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Hope this works out, they seem to be okay. I removed all the hostile workers, and left 5 workers that don't seem to attack her and tend to the larva and pupae. I've been watching them for an hour or so and the queen was picking up the pupae and then doing a cleaning motion? maybe taking on there scent. After a bit they all now walk around fine together and get along so here's hoping. I'm going to reintroduce some of the other workers slowly, and see if they get along, I have about 40 or so.

IMG_2448.JPG

Edited by AntsMAN, June 19 2016 - 2:21 PM.

Current queens/colonies

Formica sp. x1

Lasius neoniger x1

Crematogastor cerasi x1

Myrmica sp. x1

#9 Offline AntsMAN - Posted June 19 2016 - 3:44 PM

AntsMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Just fed them, they moved all the larva and pupae into the small nest and the queen is wondering around outside. The work keep checking her out. All seems good.

Current queens/colonies

Formica sp. x1

Lasius neoniger x1

Crematogastor cerasi x1

Myrmica sp. x1

#10 Offline AntsMAN - Posted June 19 2016 - 4:01 PM

AntsMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Just had a last peek for the night and all 5 workers and the queen are all together in the small nest.

• Jeoff82 likes this

Current queens/colonies

Formica sp. x1

Lasius neoniger x1

Crematogastor cerasi x1

Myrmica sp. x1

#11 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted June 19 2016 - 4:23 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Looks like a success! Congrats! :)

Edited by Batspiderfish, June 19 2016 - 4:59 PM.

----

#12 Offline AntsMAN - Posted June 19 2016 - 4:33 PM

AntsMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Thanks. I have three more queens, and some more workers and brood. Hope they are as forgiving.

Current queens/colonies

Formica sp. x1

Lasius neoniger x1

Crematogastor cerasi x1

Myrmica sp. x1

#13 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted June 19 2016 - 4:59 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Lasius umbratus is pretty easy to care for, and shouldn't be too different from L. neoniger or L. alienus. They do have a lot of interesting characteristics that are difficult to bring out in captivity, like their carton-building skills (a symbiotic relationship with a fungus that grows on tree bark) and root aphid farming. The queen should begin laying within a month or two. She may take her time.

----

#14 Offline AntsMAN - Posted June 19 2016 - 5:47 PM

AntsMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Thought I'd put a good picture of one of them on.

Lasius%2Bumbratus.jpg

• Batspiderfish likes this

Current queens/colonies

Formica sp. x1

Lasius neoniger x1

Crematogastor cerasi x1

Myrmica sp. x1

#15 Offline AntsMAN - Posted June 20 2016 - 12:14 PM

AntsMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts

I had a third queen and some cocoons ready to open, so I put them all together and the queen seems to be tending them? She is very interested in them.

Edited by AntsMAN, June 20 2016 - 12:16 PM.

Current queens/colonies

Formica sp. x1

Lasius neoniger x1

Crematogastor cerasi x1

Myrmica sp. x1

#16 Offline AntsMAN - Posted June 20 2016 - 3:10 PM

AntsMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts

I put one of the other queens in with three cocoons no workers, she has all three of them right with her. One she was holding and what looked like either trying to eat or help one. keeping an eye on her. The third one I just workers three workers and some brood in and everyone was alive this morning. Still need to find some for the forth queen.

Current queens/colonies

Formica sp. x1

Lasius neoniger x1

Crematogastor cerasi x1

Myrmica sp. x1

#17 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted June 20 2016 - 3:44 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

All my Lasius umbratus queens have ignored brood entirely until they had host workers. I'm glad things seem to be working out for your queens!

----

#18 Offline Jeoff82 - Posted June 21 2016 - 9:29 AM

Jeoff82

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
Are you in the US? I have never seen this species in Britain although we do have them. Would love to find one.

Species kept; Lasius Niger, Flavus, Brunneus, Emarginatus, Umbratus, Formica Fusca, Sanguinea, Rufibarbis, Camponotus Ligniperdus, Myrmica Rubra

#19 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted June 21 2016 - 11:25 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

I am, yes. Lasius umbratus is very common in the Eastern U.S. through most of the year. They are uncommon in much of the UK, but there's also a chance to find the interesting Lasius fuliginosus within that range. True, we have weird looking Acanthomyops queens here, but hell if we know how to raise them yet. :P

----

#20 Offline AntsMAN - Posted June 21 2016 - 12:06 PM

AntsMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Everyone is still alive and well, just waiting on the new ones to eclose.

• Batspiderfish likes this

Current queens/colonies

Formica sp. x1

Lasius neoniger x1

Crematogastor cerasi x1

Myrmica sp. x1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users