• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Lasius umbratus

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#21 Offline Jeoff82 - Posted June 21 2016 - 12:52 PM

Jeoff82

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
Yes we have a few interesting ants here. Never seen Lasius fulinginosus either, I think they are even rarer than umbractus here. Am I right in thinker fulinginosus are a hyper parasite. We have around 50 species, most being in the south of the country. Do you keep any Lasius sp?

Species kept; Lasius Niger, Flavus, Brunneus, Emarginatus, Umbratus, Formica Fusca, Sanguinea, Rufibarbis, Camponotus Ligniperdus, Myrmica Rubra

#22 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted June 21 2016 - 1:27 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

I've kept Lasius umbratus in the past, and am starting again with one, possibly two colonies (one queen only has two host workers.) I also have a young colony of Lasius cf. alienus with about 50 workers. I'm going to try with Lasius latipes later this summer, or Lasius interjectus if I can find them. Hyperparasites don't necessarily need a host colony of another social parasite -- Even though Lasius fuliginosus is a famous parasite of Lasius umbratus, I think colonies have been founded just as easily with Lasius niger or Lasius flavus.

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#23 Offline AntsMAN - Posted June 26 2016 - 1:55 PM

AntsMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

While feeding my colonies today I noticed that Lasius neoniger workers are now feeding the Lasius umbratus queen Success!! And they are almost ready to eclose the new workers.

• Batspiderfish likes this

Current queens/colonies

Camponotus novaeboracensis x2

Camponotus pennsylvanicus x2

Camponotus herculeanus x1

Formica sp. x1

Lasius americanus x1  (Lasius alienus)

Lasius neoniger x1

Crematogastor cerasi x1

Myrmica sp. x1

#24 Offline AntsMAN - Posted July 4 2016 - 4:25 AM

AntsMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts

I lost another Queen today, but I had another to put in her place. One has layed her eggs seems to be doing well, the workers have accepted her. The other I'm still waiting to see, all seems well.

Current queens/colonies

Formica sp. x1

Lasius neoniger x1

Crematogastor cerasi x1

Myrmica sp. x1

#25 Offline Loops117 - Posted July 5 2016 - 5:37 AM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • LocationSouth Lyon, Michigan

This post has a lot of helpful info to my two parasitic Lasius queens. I added brood to both, and only one seemed to remotely accept brood. I put them in there with only a day or two till they hatch yesterday so we'll see what happens. I also saved 3 small workers in a separate test tube, should i try adding them in? They Lasius flavus workers and brood...

#26 Offline AntsMAN - Posted July 5 2016 - 5:54 AM

AntsMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Yes, I would add workers, because I don't think a parasitic queens will help them to eclose or feed them.

I put three small Lasius neoniger workers and 5-8 cocoons, the workers fought a little with the queen, and after a while they seemed to tolerate each other. Now they are feeding the queen and one has eggs! Looks good so far. The third queen was either killed by the workers or died naturally. I feed them some honey and small bits of mealworm in their test tube setup.  It took about a week 1/2 or so for her to lay eggs, and the workers to feed her.

• Batspiderfish likes this

Current queens/colonies

Formica sp. x1

Lasius neoniger x1

Crematogastor cerasi x1

Myrmica sp. x1

#27 Offline AntsMAN - Posted July 5 2016 - 5:20 PM

AntsMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts

First worker has eclosed :)

Current queens/colonies

Formica sp. x1

Lasius neoniger x1

Crematogastor cerasi x1

Myrmica sp. x1

#28 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted July 5 2016 - 5:37 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Nice! You mean a Lasius neoniger pupa, right?

I think one of the small/medium sized larvae in my queen's tube is going to be the first L. umbratus worker of the colony.  :D 
It looks like the flavus-group workers would rather eat their own pupae than go foraging outside, but things should be fine after my first parasite worker.

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

#29 Offline AntsMAN - Posted July 6 2016 - 3:47 AM

AntsMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Yes the first neoniger has eclosed and the queen has a pile of eggs, hope to get some good pictures today.

Current queens/colonies

Formica sp. x1

Lasius neoniger x1

Crematogastor cerasi x1

Myrmica sp. x1

#30 Offline Loops117 - Posted July 6 2016 - 4:55 AM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts

Congrats! I too have had success.....or so i think....

I added 3 L.alienus workers and the queen seemed to immediately like them. She flicked her abdomen at one worker once and that was the end of it. No fridge, just added workers. Also, she ignored the L.alienus brood until the workers joined in and started to care for them.

Here's a video i took last night. After about a minute is when i started thinking things were going good.

my other queen died.... =(

#31 Offline AntsMAN - Posted July 6 2016 - 6:08 AM

AntsMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Well done looking good. Make sure to feed them, I just put a chuck of meal worm and a drop of honey on tin foil, to slide in the test tube.

Current queens/colonies

Formica sp. x1

Lasius neoniger x1

Crematogastor cerasi x1

Myrmica sp. x1

#32 Offline Loops117 - Posted July 6 2016 - 6:41 AM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts

I placed a small piece of mealworm guts in the tube. All of my ants ignore the skin of the mealworm. I will add a sugar water or honey to the tube today. Thank you for helping me out.

#33 Offline AntsMAN - Posted July 6 2016 - 7:43 AM

AntsMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts

I am going to try to do a small write up about Lasius umbratus/parasitic queens, for future reference.

Current queens/colonies

Formica sp. x1

Lasius neoniger x1

Crematogastor cerasi x1

Myrmica sp. x1

#34 Offline Loops117 - Posted July 6 2016 - 7:44 AM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts

i agree. I think we should start a collective or something.

#35 Offline AntsMAN - Posted July 6 2016 - 7:55 AM

AntsMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Sounds like a plan :)

Current queens/colonies

Formica sp. x1

Lasius neoniger x1

Crematogastor cerasi x1

Myrmica sp. x1

#36 Offline Jeoff82 - Posted July 7 2016 - 1:29 PM

Jeoff82

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
Nice video, looks like some sort of feeding and cleaning is taking place between the worker and queen. Seems like there are plenty of Umbractus in the states to find but here in the UK they are rarely seen. I hope to find myself a queen this year maybe this month when the Nigers/Flavus also fly.

Species kept; Lasius Niger, Flavus, Brunneus, Emarginatus, Umbratus, Formica Fusca, Sanguinea, Rufibarbis, Camponotus Ligniperdus, Myrmica Rubra

#37 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted July 7 2016 - 1:41 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Nice video, looks like some sort of feeding and cleaning is taking place between the worker and queen. Seems like there are plenty of Umbractus in the states to find but here in the UK they are rarely seen. I hope to find myself a queen this year maybe this month when the Nigers/Flavus also fly.

According to Bees Wasps & Ants Recording Society, UK Lasius umbratus fly in mid-August and September. North American Lasius umbratus have big flights at these times too, but we also see them scattered throughout the summer. http://www.bwars.com...lasius-umbratus

Edited by Batspiderfish, July 7 2016 - 1:43 PM.

----

#38 Offline AntsMAN - Posted July 10 2016 - 5:08 AM

AntsMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Been trying to shoot some video, here is one of my Lasius umbratus queens with Lasius neoniger workers tending her brood.

Not the best video but I'm working on it.

Current queens/colonies

Formica sp. x1

Lasius neoniger x1

Crematogastor cerasi x1

Myrmica sp. x1

#39 Offline Jeoff82 - Posted July 10 2016 - 6:48 AM

Jeoff82

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
Well they look pretty content, looks like your colony will be a success.

#40 Offline AntsMAN - Posted July 10 2016 - 2:07 PM

AntsMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Just moved them to a fresh test tube, they were starting to separate from each other due to excess space in the small nest. These guys are still a little unsure of their new queen after the move. One of the new worker has just eclosed hopefully she will help calm things down. I also see there is a fresh pile of eggs the workers are tending to.

Edited by AntsMAN, July 11 2016 - 4:03 AM.

Current queens/colonies

Formica sp. x1

Lasius neoniger x1

Crematogastor cerasi x1

Myrmica sp. x1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users