• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

I think this queen was moving

Best Answer drtrmiller , April 10 2016 - 1:11 PM

Unless I'm mistaken, Trachymyrmex, Georgia's sole fungus-growing species.  Very common.  My grandfather calls them "[censored] ants" because of the little funnel-shaped mounds they make in his garden.

I doubt you'll have any success, especially if she already expelled her fungus pellet.  I expect they'd be as difficult to get started as Acromyrmex.  Nice find, regardless!

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Offline i2chip - Posted April 10 2016 - 12:12 PM

i2chip

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

1. Location of collection: Savannah, GA
2. Date of collection: 4/10/2016
3. Habitat of collection: I live near a small oak/pine forest surrounded by marsh. (Found right next to a nest in my backyard)
4. Length (from head to gaster): ~4-5mm
5. Color, hue, pattern and texture: Orange and a little hairy
6. Distinguishing characteristics: Large mandibles
7. Anything else distinctive: If she does come from the nest that I found her near I think she may be some sort of a fungus grower, they are always dragging leaves and other miscellaneous items in their nest
8. Nest description: They have nests all over my backyard (Picture & video included) the picture is of the nest I found her near, the video is of what I believe to be the most active nest (or entrance). The video was taken on the other side of the yard from the picture, but I believe it might be the same colony. Hopefully this thread can 'hit two bird with one stone' and you guys know the answer to all my questions :)

EBD6193F-FB86-493D-8960-5CD64F6EE097_zps

7B376A83-C521-43EA-8D76-9978376544F6_zps

BB3F66A4-ACC7-49D9-A598-6A285E969FEA_zps

Picture of nest I found her near:

06F2A049-ECF7-49B3-A068-3FF11ADA12C6_zps

Video: https://vimeo.com/162286912

About the title, when I say the queen was moving, I don't think there was anyway they flew today, it's been about 60 degrees all day today

Edited by i2chip, April 10 2016 - 5:37 PM.

#2 Offline drtrmiller - Posted April 10 2016 - 1:11 PM   Best Answer

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Unless I'm mistaken, Trachymyrmex, Georgia's sole fungus-growing species.  Very common.  My grandfather calls them "[censored] ants" because of the little funnel-shaped mounds they make in his garden.

I doubt you'll have any success, especially if she already expelled her fungus pellet.  I expect they'd be as difficult to get started as Acromyrmex.  Nice find, regardless!

Edited by drtrmiller, April 10 2016 - 1:14 PM.

• i2chip likes this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#3 Offline Mdrogun - Posted April 10 2016 - 1:12 PM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationGainesville, FL

maybe Acromyrmex. She might be Acromyrmex versicolor.

Edited by Mdrogun, April 10 2016 - 1:12 PM.

Currently Keeping:
Trachymyrmex septentrionalis

Pheidole pilifera

Forelius sp. (Monogynous, bicolored) "Midwestern Forelius"
Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Formica sp. (microgena species)

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

#4 Offline drtrmiller - Posted April 10 2016 - 1:17 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

No Acromyrmex here.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#5 Offline i2chip - Posted April 10 2016 - 1:27 PM

i2chip

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Thanks, I'll release her where I found her. She is the most interesting queen I have found I must say!

#6 Offline i2chip - Posted April 10 2016 - 1:51 PM

i2chip

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Before I do release her I do have a question, could this be the fungus pellet on her back?

4F8118EC-329E-42BE-85DE-5462550A7087_zps

#7 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted April 10 2016 - 4:42 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Why would you release her?! It is Trachymyrmex!!!

• i2chip likes this

#8 Offline i2chip - Posted April 10 2016 - 5:31 PM

i2chip

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

I haven't released her yet I was waiting for a response on what I should do because I don't know if she has her fungus pellet. And if she doesn't I don't know if I could dig some up from the wild colonies or not. And it's kinda cool that if she does happen to survive I can just observe the wild colonies in my yard to see what to feed my new queen if she produces a colony! So far they pull what looks like balls of pollen and withered (but still green) leaves into their nests. I think they're oak leaves, but I'll have to double check. (You can see them carry both of those food sources I mentioned being carried down in their nest in the video)

Edited by i2chip, April 10 2016 - 5:36 PM.

#9 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 10 2016 - 7:46 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Acromyrmex versicolor are desert leafcutters, only found in the deserts of the Southwest.

I haven't released her yet I was waiting for a response on what I should do because I don't know if she has her fungus pellet. And if she doesn't I don't know if I could dig some up from the wild colonies or not. And it's kinda cool that if she does happen to survive I can just observe the wild colonies in my yard to see what to feed my new queen if she produces a colony! So far they pull what looks like balls of pollen and withered (but still green) leaves into their nests. I think they're oak leaves, but I'll have to double check. (You can see them carry both of those food sources I mentioned being carried down in their nest in the video)

Put her in a test tube or something, and wait to see if she starts a little fungus garden.

#10 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted April 11 2016 - 12:10 AM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Well since Trachymyrmex colonies are pretty shallow, (as far as I know) I would not exclude the option of digging up a colony for a bit of fungus, just make sure you don't hurt the colony too hard.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users