• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Vendayn's Unknown sp. and Hypoponera sp. journal (5-24-2015)

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Vendayn - Posted May 24 2015 - 7:53 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

I found a bunch of Dolopomyrmex pilatus queens floating around a pool, here in Irvine (Southern California). I got four queens of this species. Like Drew's experience, they are pretty slow and sluggish (no aggression at all either). I also got three Hypoponera queens (which are much faster and more aggressive), so tonight was the night of flying subterranean ants.

I kept all the Dolopomyrmex queens together in one test tube. From my experience, most small ant species tend to have multiple queens (or at least will accept other queens) and their lack of aggression, shouldn't have any issues at all. I also gave them (and the Hypoponera) honey, which the Dolopomyrmex (all four) went to right away (in their slow movement) and started eating.

I'll be pretty much feeding both species. Now, Ponera needs to forage in founding stages...and Hypoponera queens look pretty much the same and will probably need food as well. I'll be feeding Dolopomyrmex as well as I assume they need food in their founding stages too. Drew never fed his as far as I know and didn't have much luck with his. I don't think he kept any together either, which tends to greatly increase success rate. Since their subterranean, and as far as I know, a lot of subterranean queens tend to forage in founding stages...I'll be treating them exactly like the Hypoponera queens I have. Except, both will probably have different food they like.

Besides, if the queens eat...great. I tend to feed non-foraging queens anyway. I find much better success with feeding ants, and if they don't accept the food, nothing lost.

Edited by Vendayn, May 25 2015 - 11:10 AM.

• AntTeen804 likes this

#2 Offline Vendayn - Posted May 24 2015 - 8:06 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

If I end up moving out of state either in December or in 6 months after that if we extend the lease. I'll probably give the Dolopomyrmex colony to a university or whatever science group may want them.

Edited by Vendayn, May 24 2015 - 9:33 PM.

#3 Offline dspdrew - Posted May 24 2015 - 8:36 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

You found Dolopomyrmex in irvine? Where exactly was this? Funny, I was just going to update my journal on them.

#4 Offline Vendayn - Posted May 24 2015 - 8:48 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

By the Verizon Ampitheater inside the apartment complex right near there, in Irvine. Very close to the freeway. There is a hillside next to the river, and on the other side I assume is a non-Argentine ant area as Solenopsis invicta fly from there. I assume it is drier as I've seen a lot of other ants fly from that area too. They arrest people when they go on the hillside though, because usually they try to watch the Ampitheater shows for "free" and its all fenced off. I've seen this long-thin black ant queen in the Summer time near from the hillside too, not a Camponotus queen...but maybe some type of Formica ant. No idea what's on the other side of the hill. There is also the river, and a wilderness corrider. But, all Argentine ants. About a 10-15 minute walk up the river are Pogonomyrmex californicus and a bunch of dry, sandy aeas.

In any case, the pool I found them is really far from the hillside and the wilderness area. Maybe there is/are colony(ies) of them around and I never see them as they are subterranean. Inside the complex does have a lot of dry areas without Argentine ants. Lots of Hypoponera too, but I don't see them often.

I saw queens of this species a couple months ago, floating around the same pool. So, must be nearby. I never got any as I wasn't interested in them to be honest as they looked kinda weird and were slow. But, I saw you found them and then they sounded really interesting.

#5 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted May 24 2015 - 11:50 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Maybe you are mistaking these for Solenopsis or Pheidole queens?

#6 Offline Lamarr - Posted May 25 2015 - 1:51 AM

Lamarr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, Alabama

Could you post photos of your ants? I would be very interested to see the ants that you are talking about.

#7 Offline gcsnelling - Posted May 25 2015 - 3:09 AM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

I seriously doubt they are Dolopomyrmex,  we need pictures... as usual. Specimens for study would be of immense value.

#8 Offline dspdrew - Posted May 25 2015 - 6:58 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Yes, I too was hoping we would get some picture proof; I just wasn't sure how small of a chance it would be that they would be found there.

#9 Offline Vendayn - Posted May 25 2015 - 11:00 AM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

Sadly, they are too small to be what I thought they were. :(

They aren't Solenopsis molesta howver. They are 5-8.5 mm long. Some are a bit smaller, and some are quite a bit bigger. There is a pretty big size difference between the queens, with some even having much bigger abdomens. Their bodies are thin though. But, they aren't Solenopsis xyloni, invicta, aurea or amblychila queens. I've seen those and they look like "regular" ants I usually see. These ones have tiny heads compared to the body with huge eyes. But, I guess Dolopomyrmex pilatus are a lot bigger after looking through Drew's journal.

Edited by Vendayn, May 25 2015 - 11:00 AM.

#10 Offline Jonathan21700 - Posted May 25 2015 - 12:20 PM

Jonathan21700

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Hypoponera are pretty interesting but hard to raise. Be sure to give them substrate

Good luck with them!

#11 Offline dspdrew - Posted May 25 2015 - 1:37 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Sounds like you might have found some males of some sort.

#12 Offline Vendayn - Posted May 25 2015 - 1:54 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

No, they are females. They took off their wings, and one of them laid eggs already.

#13 Offline dspdrew - Posted May 25 2015 - 2:17 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Oh ok. Laying eggs would definitely rule males out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users