• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Newbie questions.

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Bvrj0969 - Posted August 12 2015 - 3:05 PM

Bvrj0969

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Few questions for a newbie.

Aparently my works outside lighting is magnets for a certain species I haven't identified (my camera takes horrible macro shots.) and never having a formicarium before I collected a hole bunch of queens to greater my chance of success... Now I have more founding queens than I need or want.

1. Do you guys just set any queens you don't want/use free? Where I'm at no one is interested in them and I have possibly 30-40. Plus they are extremely tiny so it's hard for me to spark anyone's interest with them.

I have a few different species that are progressing faster than I can get their formicarium a built.

One that has 3-4 nanitics tearing at my cotton in the test tube.

Is it acceptable to just unplug the test tube and lay it in tubware container with lid for them to forage for food while i finish their formicariums? I'm mainly waiting on the grout to cure.

#2 Offline Foogoo - Posted August 12 2015 - 3:22 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Few questions for a newbie.

Aparently my works outside lighting is magnets for a certain species I haven't identified (my camera takes horrible macro shots.) and never having a formicarium before I collected a hole bunch of queens to greater my chance of success... Now I have more founding queens than I need or want.

1. Do you guys just set any queens you don't want/use free? Where I'm at no one is interested in them and I have possibly 30-40. Plus they are extremely tiny so it's hard for me to spark anyone's interest with them.

I have a few different species that are progressing faster than I can get their formicarium a built.

One that has 3-4 nanitics tearing at my cotton in the test tube.

Is it acceptable to just unplug the test tube and lay it in tubware container with lid for them to forage for food while i finish their formicariums? I'm mainly waiting on the grout to cure.

Check the Marketplace. Depending on who's around you, I'm sure somebody will want them! Otherwise yeah, nothing wrong with returning them whence they came.

I don't see a problem with letting them forage in a tupperware, that's how a lot of people maintain their colonies. Got any pictures? Would love to see the queens!

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#3 Offline Bvrj0969 - Posted August 12 2015 - 4:15 PM

Bvrj0969

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
The species I have so many of are so tiny my iphone won't take a good picture of them. The other ones just won't have a very clear picture.

#4 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted August 12 2015 - 4:20 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

That is extremely debatable. However, I would try putting a lot together to make one colony. If they are a species that permits multiple queens in a colony, you will get a fast growing colony. If it is a species that only likes one queen per colony, the workers will kill of all the queens except for the strongest one and use the dead queens as food.

#5 Offline William. T - Posted August 12 2015 - 5:33 PM

William. T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • LocationWestern Maryland

I sometimes do that. But I prefer to keep as many active colonies as possible, because having one of each species may have them die on you. The fittest colonies will survive.

Species I keep:

1 Lasius cf. Neoniger 30 workers

1 Camponotus sp. 15 workers

20 Tetramorium SpE 30 workers

1 T. Sessile 200 workers

#6 Offline Bvrj0969 - Posted August 12 2015 - 6:02 PM

Bvrj0969

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
20sdkso.jpg

#7 Offline Bvrj0969 - Posted August 12 2015 - 6:05 PM

Bvrj0969

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I have a couple of the previous one pictured.

A whole bunch of these. Who were caught side by side with the last (these are the tiny ones)
r7iq6o.jpg

#8 Offline Bvrj0969 - Posted August 12 2015 - 6:09 PM

Bvrj0969

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
My 6 yr old daughter caught the bottom one somewhere. Brought it in to show me. It escaped her cup over night only to shed it's wings on the kitchen counter. I found it weeks later in a shot glass on top of my cabinets with a clutch of eggs.
50p0n9.jpg

The top one I caught under the bark of a tree stump. Had one single cacoon. Which has now hatched. And has multiple more eggs . It's mainly black but the gaster has alternating rings of black and pale amber. (So does the nanitic.)

Edited by Bvrj0969, August 12 2015 - 6:12 PM.

#9 Offline Bvrj0969 - Posted August 12 2015 - 6:14 PM

Bvrj0969

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Sorry but that's the best I can do with a mobile phone.

#10 Offline LC3 - Posted August 12 2015 - 7:24 PM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada
The smaller black ones with the pointy butt are Cremotogasters, not sure about the large black ones. The one on top of the Crematogaster in pic# 3 may be a Pheidole not 100% sure though (more like 50%) . I have no clue about the tiny queen.

#11 Offline William. T - Posted August 13 2015 - 5:05 AM

William. T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • LocationWestern Maryland

I think the reddish ones look like Solenopis, or Pheidole.

The smaller black ones with the pointy butt are Cremotogasters, not sure about the large black ones. The one on top of the Crematogaster in pic# 3 may be a Pheidole not 100% sure though (more like 50%) . I have no clue about the tiny queen.

Species I keep:

1 Lasius cf. Neoniger 30 workers

1 Camponotus sp. 15 workers

20 Tetramorium SpE 30 workers

1 T. Sessile 200 workers

#12 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 13 2015 - 8:03 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Yeah, one of those is definitely a Crematogaster.

#13 Offline TheAnswerIsTheLogic - Posted August 13 2015 - 8:09 AM

TheAnswerIsTheLogic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • LocationRomania,Dambovita

When i have to much queens i just let  go with her brood in my garden..

#14 Offline Jonathan21700 - Posted August 13 2015 - 8:49 AM

Jonathan21700

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

In the first photo is a Pheidole sp. In pic#2 I'm not sure maybe Pheidole or Solenopsis. In the last one the bigger queen is a Camponotus sp. and the smaller one Crematogaster.

Edited by Jonathan21700, August 13 2015 - 8:50 AM.

#15 Offline BrittonLS - Posted August 13 2015 - 6:07 PM

BrittonLS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • LocationFt. Worth, Texas

You don't have to worry about taking them out of their tubes. Just feed them in the tubes. The biggest reason to put them in a formicaruim for some people is when it becomes too difficult to feed them in the tube. They're fine in there from anywhere to 15 to 100 workers. 

But yeah, you can let them go, or keep them around. You might be able to entice someone to buy or take them off your hands if you've got a obviously growing colony. Just depends on how many ants you think you can take care of. You could be the next Drew and keep over 300 separate colonies! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users