• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Darth Vader’s Crazy Crematogaster

crematogaster cerasi

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Darthvader - Posted March 8 2024 - 11:55 AM

Darthvader

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationIowa

Hey all, since the downfall of my Atta journal, I've decided to start posting about another little colony I'm excited about. Crematogaster cerasi! I've been waiting to keep these girls for a long time now, and when finally caught two queens in september of last year, I was hyped to watch them grow. I have two queens, but one is sort of dying out. I will attempt to keep her going until I have brood to spare from my much healthier colony. 

20240308 134126

This colony has 4 workers, and around 10 more to come. They are doing extremely well, and I can't wait to enjoy all of their little quirks.

IMG 5278

Here's what they looked like 5 days ago, with only one callow worker.

Edited by Darthvader, March 8 2024 - 11:56 AM.

• futurebird and cutchins like this

#2 Offline cutchins - Posted March 8 2024 - 2:27 PM

cutchins

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationBrownsville, TX

What are you feeding them? Is that a smashed up roach/cricket? I have two Crematogaster queens with brood as well. So, i'm very interested in watching and learning from yours. 

• futurebird likes this

#3 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 8 2024 - 3:21 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Very nice. Where did you find the queens?
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#4 Offline Darthvader - Posted March 8 2024 - 4:01 PM

Darthvader

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationIowa

What are you feeding them? Is that a smashed up roach/cricket? I have two Crematogaster queens with brood as well. So, i'm very interested in watching and learning from yours. 

Yes! it's a section of a red runner roach. Crematogaster are quite opportunistic when it comes to food if I remember correctly

• cutchins likes this

#5 Offline Darthvader - Posted March 8 2024 - 4:02 PM

Darthvader

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationIowa

Very nice. Where did you find the queens?

On a bike trail near my house that I frequent. Lots of cerasi that nest in under rocks and in logs along the trail, especially bicolored ones. I hope my queens produce nice pretty bicolored workers

#6 Offline futurebird - Posted March 9 2024 - 4:25 AM

futurebird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

I love that photo of the queen with the callow. She so much larger than her nanitic!

Starting this July I'm posting videos of my ants every week on youTube.

I like to make relaxing videos that capture the joy of watching ants.

If that sounds like your kind of thing... follow me >here<

#7 Offline Artisan_Ants - Posted March 9 2024 - 6:39 AM

Artisan_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationChester County, PA
Beautiful queen and callow. I have two C. cerasi queens myself but have to take them out of hibernation (which I will do fairly soon). Good luck! Can’t wait to see them grow!

Keeping:

3x - S. molesta 

1x - C. chromaiodes

2x - F. pallidefulva

2x - C. cerasi

1x - B. depilis

2x P. imparis (colonies) 3x P. imparis queens (1x queen in test tube, 3x queens in test tube, and 6x queens in another test tube. Can't wait to see the results!)

Check out my C. chromaiodes journal here: https://www.formicul...aiodes-journal/

#8 Offline Darthvader - Posted March 12 2024 - 10:15 PM

Darthvader

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationIowa
The crematogaster have kept up an average of one worker per day, reaching 9 workers as of tonight. Despite being so young, there is already a constant presence of 3-4 workers that pull on the cotton, so once they're at about 15 workers or so, they'll be given a foraging area to explore to their heart's content. I'll try and get some actual macro photos later on. It's going to be a fun experience once they reach hundreds, and eventually, thousands of workers.

20240313 010934

#9 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 13 2024 - 2:22 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
In my experience, it’s best to give these ants access to a foraging area sooner rather than later. I give mine outworlds when they have 4-5 workers.
  • cutchins likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#10 Offline Darthvader - Posted March 13 2024 - 9:42 AM

Darthvader

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationIowa

In my experience, it’s best to give these ants access to a foraging area sooner rather than later. I give mine outworlds when they have 4-5 workers.

I see. That might be the wisest option, I'll get to work finding something suitable!

#11 Offline Darthvader - Posted March 22 2024 - 7:11 PM

Darthvader

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationIowa

Hey all! Not much has happened, except they now have 15+ workers, and are doing well. They are the best eaters of any ants I have right now, can't wait to see what they'll do to full roaches when they're hundreds of workers strong!

20240322 220754

#12 Offline GOCAMPONOTUS - Posted March 22 2024 - 7:55 PM

GOCAMPONOTUS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • LocationRocklin,CA
It looks.like the cotton is starting to mold.

Currently keeping
1.Camponotus vicinus. 5 workers
2.Camponotus modoc. 5 workers
3. Camponotus hyatti. 1 worker
4.Veromessor pergandei. founding
5 Linepithema humile. 70-100 workers 5 queens
6. Pheidole Californica. 65 workers

I want: Atta,Myrmecia,Myrmica,Myrmecocystus

#13 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 23 2024 - 1:50 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

It looks.like the cotton is starting to mold.

That’s nothing to be concerned about yet.

#14 Offline Darthvader - Posted March 29 2024 - 10:15 PM

Darthvader

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationIowa
Hey all! I moved the girls into a DIY minihearth sized nest last night. They had, as was inevitable, started to become impossible to feed in the tube without escapees, so I went with an all-in-one DIY nest as it would be the easiest to do maintenance on. It should be able to hold them until a few hundred, maybe even a thousand workers, but we will see. They are at about 20 workers now, it's getting harder and harder to tell each day now. I love how they are almost always active, and doing something, even at such a low worker count!
20240330 010350

• ANTdrew, TacticalHandleGaming, Ernteameise and 2 others like this

#15 Offline cutchins - Posted March 31 2024 - 5:52 AM

cutchins

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationBrownsville, TX

Give us a zoomed out view of the nest, dude

• Artisan_Ants likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: crematogaster cerasi

0 user(s) are reading this topic