• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

NickAnter's Hypoponera sp. Journal (DISCONTINUED)

• Please log in to reply
120 replies to this topic

#61 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted July 2 2019 - 8:22 AM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
  • LocationJasper, Indiana
Are you positive she’s dead? I’ve had this happen before, and I just set the queen on a tissue so it absorbs the water. An hour later she’s alive and well. I assume you know this though because you collect queens out of your pool.

Spoiler

#62 Offline NickAnter - Posted July 2 2019 - 9:07 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

I check for slight antennal movement.  Due to the fact that I can only use the heat cable during the day, as soon as the container cools, it drops below the dew point, causing condensation, every night.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#63 Offline NickAnter - Posted September 1 2019 - 4:33 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
I found another one in my pool this evening. I will blacklight to see if I can find some more of this genus. This one is different than any other I have seen. She is extremely thin, and has madibles like Stigmatomma. Of course, she is only 2.5 mm. I will, after dinner, get a test tube full of springtails, and put like 30 in with her. Hopefully, she will eventually lay some eggs. She is already trying to take off her wings.

Edited by NickAnter, September 1 2019 - 4:33 PM.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#64 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted September 2 2019 - 5:38 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
Pics? Can't be Hypoponera if she has Stigmatomma like mandibles.

#65 Offline NickAnter - Posted September 2 2019 - 5:50 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
I took a closer look and it just looked like that with her odd body shape. Pics will come soon.

Edited by NickAnter, September 2 2019 - 5:55 AM.

#66 Offline ponerinecat - Posted September 2 2019 - 2:52 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

not hypoponera, you may have indeed found stigma as they are flying

Also hypos are in my experience part time scavengers. They do not seem to thrive off of springtails alone

#67 Offline NickAnter - Posted September 2 2019 - 5:05 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
Will they accept mealworm pieces, and drink from them? Oh and this is definetly not Stigmatomma, it is 2.5 mm, and the mandibles just looked that way from the side, and at a quick glance.

#68 Offline ponerinecat - Posted September 2 2019 - 5:38 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

yes

#69 Offline NickAnter - Posted September 20 2019 - 6:17 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
Dead.

#70 Offline NickAnter - Posted December 4 2020 - 3:52 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Found one of the larger species in my pool just minutes ago! She has slightly reddish legs, and is the largest species of Hypo we have here. I believe she is opacior. Sadly no pics due to my phone being out of storage space. I have her in a hydrostone formicarium, similar to the setup M_Ants has. It has a 3d printed hydration chamber filled with cotton though. I will hopefully soon get her some substrate, at least some sand to work with. I know where I can find booklice, so I will soon give her some of those. She is quite calm, which I always find to be a good sign. Will this be the time I succeed with these?

• Swirlysnowflake likes this

#71 Offline M_Ants - Posted December 4 2020 - 3:53 PM

M_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationSan Diego CA

That's great! Good Luck! Can't believe stuff is still flying!

Veromessor pergandei

Veromessor andrei

Crematogaster sp. 

Pogonomyrmex cf cali and rugosus

Various Pheidole

C. yogi 

https://www.youtube....FG7utFVBA/about

#72 Offline NickAnter - Posted December 4 2020 - 3:55 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

It got to a whopping 72 degrees today, and was calm, so I guess they decided it was a good time to fly, despite the relatively low humidity.

#73 Offline M_Ants - Posted December 4 2020 - 3:56 PM

M_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationSan Diego CA

Any hope for black lighting since I don't have a pool?

Veromessor pergandei

Veromessor andrei

Crematogaster sp. 

Various Pheidole

C. yogi 

#74 Offline NickAnter - Posted December 4 2020 - 4:20 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Not sure. I've always found mine in the morning, or during the early evening.

What is the night time temp there? If its 50s or lower I wouldn't bother.

Edited by NickAnter, December 4 2020 - 4:21 PM.

#75 Offline M_Ants - Posted December 4 2020 - 4:25 PM

M_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationSan Diego CA

It will be 61 at 6 pm.

By 8 it will be 53

Veromessor pergandei

Veromessor andrei

Crematogaster sp. 

Various Pheidole

C. yogi 

#76 Offline M_Ants - Posted December 4 2020 - 4:27 PM

M_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationSan Diego CA

Is there such thing as blacklighting during the day?

Veromessor pergandei

Veromessor andrei

Crematogaster sp. 

Various Pheidole

C. yogi 

#77 Offline NickAnter - Posted December 4 2020 - 4:29 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Not really. Go outside with a thin mesh butterfly net and see if you see any, then, if you do, snatch them out of the air. Low chance of finding something fertile, but it is something. This is what I do in the sierras, and occasionally here.

#78 Offline ponerinecat - Posted December 4 2020 - 6:45 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Is there such thing as blacklighting during the day?

Yes, actually. Yellow pan traps. That kills the insects, but you could adjust it/remove the killing agent and just watch it like with a blacklight.

• NickAnter likes this

#79 Offline NickAnter - Posted December 5 2020 - 7:18 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Yellow pan traps? Pictures? Would these be what is commonly referenced in literature as malaise traps?

Nevermind. I googled it. Its literally just a yellow pan with liquid in it. I suppose you could put water in it instead of a killing agent.

Edited by NickAnter, December 5 2020 - 8:46 AM.

#80 Offline M_Ants - Posted December 5 2020 - 9:59 AM

M_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationSan Diego CA

I doubt a small pan of water would catch anything. 

Veromessor pergandei

Veromessor andrei

Crematogaster sp. 

Various Pheidole

C. yogi 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users