• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use, and contain no ads for members. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo
- - - - -

Plagiolepsis

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Offline ponerinecat - Posted May 18 2019 - 4:41 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 346 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

So I noticed two workers under a tile when I have never seen these anywhere except arizona. I know they are extremely invasive. What do I do?

#2 Offline Aaron567 - Posted May 18 2019 - 6:27 PM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

Florida and Hawaii are the only states that are known to have populations of Plagiolepis. You're likely seeing something else.

• Martialis likes this

#3 Offline gcsnelling - Posted May 18 2019 - 6:41 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Post a clear picture.

#4 Online VoidElecent - Posted May 19 2019 - 8:16 AM

VoidElecent

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

I'm sure many species in AZ, including Brachymyrmex spp. and Nylanderia spp. could be easily mistaken for Plagiolepis. How did you identify the workers?

#5 Offline ponerinecat - Posted May 19 2019 - 9:26 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 346 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I'm sure many species in AZ, including Brachymyrmex spp. and Nylanderia spp. could be easily mistaken for Plagiolepis. How did you identify the workers?

extremely small yellow workers with a large abdomen(compared to body), sometimes see dark spots on abdomen. rounded head. smaller than local brachymyrmex.

Post a clear picture.

my photography skill are nill. picture would look like a yellow dot.

Edited by ponerinecat, May 19 2019 - 9:26 AM.

#6 Offline ponerinecat - Posted May 19 2019 - 9:27 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 346 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Florida and Hawaii are the only states that are known to have populations of Plagiolepis. You're likely seeing something else.

searched the web, only thing that looks alike is brachymyrmex, which are larger than the two workers I saw. 

#7 Offline NickAnter - Posted May 19 2019 - 5:25 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California
Can you measure them on a ruler, or collect one and put it under a microspe? One thing that might explain the size, is if they are nanitics.

Edited by NickAnter, May 19 2019 - 5:26 PM.

• Ant_Dude2908 likes this

Currently keeping:             

Camponotus hyatti (1, single queen, 1 worker.)                     "Keep your eyes on the stars and your feet on the ground." -Theodore Roosevelt

"Either you will control your government, or government will control you." -Ronald Reagan

"Leadership is the art is getting someone else to do something you want done because he wants to do it." -                                                                                   Dwight  D. Eisenhower

Currently founding:

---Solenopsis molesta(1 tube with 8 queens, one fertile)

---Monomorium ergatognya(1) Pheidole navigans(3 separate queens) Hypoponera spp. (2 separate queens)

Hoping to get soon:Camponotus fragilis,Lasius pallitarsis and brevicornis,Formica argentea,Stigmatomma pallipes/oregonense and Pogonomyrmex californicus.

#8 Offline ponerinecat - Posted May 19 2019 - 8:09 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 346 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Went back to the rock and they are not there. will have to keep an eye out. they were smaller than large springtails, smaller than hypoponera. Pretty sure not nanitics of brachymyrmex.

#9 Offline NickAnter - Posted May 20 2019 - 2:01 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
You are sure that it is not a Myrmicine, right?

Currently keeping:             

Camponotus hyatti (1, single queen, 1 worker.)                     "Keep your eyes on the stars and your feet on the ground." -Theodore Roosevelt

"Either you will control your government, or government will control you." -Ronald Reagan

"Leadership is the art is getting someone else to do something you want done because he wants to do it." -                                                                                   Dwight  D. Eisenhower

Currently founding:

---Monomorium ergatognya(1) Pheidole navigans(3 separate queens) Hypoponera spp. (2 separate queens)

Hoping to get soon:Camponotus fragilis,Lasius pallitarsis and brevicornis,Formica argentea,Stigmatomma pallipes/oregonense and Pogonomyrmex californicus.

#10 Offline ponerinecat - Posted May 20 2019 - 2:03 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 346 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

no, it was not. I know what the general myrmicine looks like.

#11 Offline NickAnter - Posted May 20 2019 - 3:00 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
Okay, I'm stumped. Maybe it is Plagiolepis.

Currently keeping:             

Currently founding:

#12 Offline gcsnelling - Posted May 20 2019 - 3:07 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Consider Acropyga. I would put money that it is not Plagiolepis.

• Aaron567 likes this

#13 Offline ponerinecat - Posted May 21 2019 - 3:51 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 346 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Maybe... but they were a bit more yellow, like lasius latipes yellow. Also were near the suface, not in the nest, wich I don't think acropyga do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users