• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Medicine Hat obscuripes nuptial flight and question about a queen I collected

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline sweetgrass - Posted May 8 2019 - 9:17 AM

sweetgrass

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • LocationMedicine Hat, Alberta Canada

Yesterday was the nuptial flight for formica obscuripes.

I collected a lone winged queen ant.

I collected 3 winged queens and 4 males hoping they would mate in the large jar.

Seems they haven't.

One queen has shed her wings and I set her up in a test tube last night.  

I have no colony for her.

Should I let her go?

I am letting the others all go.

Thank you

#2 Offline Manitobant - Posted May 8 2019 - 10:34 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Sell her to another antkeeper or potentially give her workers from a nearby obscuripes colony. This species is polygynous and queens often return to other obscuripes nests to lay their eggs

#3 Offline sweetgrass - Posted May 8 2019 - 3:13 PM

sweetgrass

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
Thank you!!

I remembered I have 3 Formica queens with cocoons.
I gave the dealate 5 cocoons.

I caught some workers. Chilled them. Put one with one of the winged queens. They fought so I removed the worker.

I’ll release the workers tomorrow. And maybe the queens too. Still nuptial flights today.

#4 Offline sweetgrass - Posted May 11 2019 - 9:46 AM

sweetgrass

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

I released the 3 queens and the workers.  While in the area I spotted what I thought was a major worker.  Sent picture to my friend - said it was a queen!  

So I set her up in a tube. 

I noticed one of the Formica subsericea queens had white ants - not sure of the proper name - so I gave the new Obscuripes queen the 2 white ant larvae.

So I have 2 Obscuripes queens - one has 5 cocoons and the other queen has the white things.

Couldn't check yesterday - but there were nuptial flights for the 3 previous days.  

I got some nice pictures.  Will load and download later.  I forget how to do it and heading off soon..

I am happy.  Hope things hatch soon so the queens have some workers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users