• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

FeedTheAnts Ant Journals - Crematogaster and Camponotus - Virginia - 2019

• Please log in to reply
149 replies to this topic

#81 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted April 26 2019 - 7:52 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
I think your C. discolor are actually C. decipens. (Probably spelled that wrong.)

Edit: I think you should keep some Formica. They are good a size, and grow quicker than Crematogaster cerasi.

Edited by Ant_Dude2908, April 26 2019 - 8:00 AM.

#82 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted April 26 2019 - 8:33 AM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

I think your C. discolor are actually C. decipens. (Probably spelled that wrong.)

Edit: I think you should keep some Formica. They are good a size, and grow quicker than Crematogaster cerasi.

I've thought that they may be Camponotus decipiens, but I'll keep calling them C. discolor until I look into it further. 

On another note, I've been looking at the workers from my two Crematogaster colonies through a microscope, and it's certain that the smaller colony is C. cerasi. The Valentines are a little harder to identify, but I'm still leaning towards C. ashmeadi. I'll be looking at some of The Valentine's workers later to try and confirm an ID.

Formica will start flying in June and July here, and I plan on keeping any queens I come across, and maybe even starting a polygamous colony of F. subsericea.

• TennesseeAnts and ANTdrew like this

I accidentally froze all my ants 

#83 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 26 2019 - 9:05 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

What specifically you looking for to ID your Crematogaster?

"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#84 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted April 26 2019 - 10:35 AM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

What specifically you looking for to ID your Crematogaster?

The hairs on their mesosoma and the angle of their spines. I'm no pro but there are a few keys when it comes to identifying species within the genus Crematogaster.

Edited by FeedTheAnts, April 26 2019 - 10:39 AM.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#85 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted April 26 2019 - 1:25 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

Crematogaster grow faster than Formica. Formica are larger and therefore would take longer to grow.

• FeedTheAnts likes this

#86 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted April 26 2019 - 1:53 PM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Crematogaster grow faster than Formica. Formica are larger and therefore would take longer to grow.

This is true, Crematogaster are much faster growing than Formica. I actually raised a Formica colony from just a few workers and it took much longer for them to reach the 1000 mark than my Crematogaster colony did. After a certain point they grow at the same rate, but definitely when you are just first founding them then Crematogaster are more explosive than Formica.

#87 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted April 26 2019 - 2:46 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
Not for me. Crematogaster take forever to get workers. Formica take one and a half months.

#88 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 26 2019 - 6:48 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Two of my Crematogaster took roughly six weeks to get their first workers after I took them out of hibernation. A third just got her first pair of workers, three months later because she ate her first batch of eggs.
  • Karma likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#89 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted April 26 2019 - 7:13 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
My smallest cerasi colony has 9 workers already!
  • Karma likes this

#90 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted May 2 2019 - 7:11 AM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Crematogaster ashmeadi(The Valentines) - 5/2/2019
This is a video update, because it's easier to show the colony's growth this way. I'd estimate their population at 2000-2500

• Karma, TennesseeAnts, Acutus and 1 other like this

#91 Offline Acutus - Posted May 2 2019 - 8:56 AM

Acutus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Awesome video!  (y)  (y)

Billy

Currently keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes

Camponotus castaneus

Formica subsericea

#92 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 2 2019 - 10:41 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Yes, truly awesome! It seems you have their escaping under control now - what have you done differently to contain them?

#93 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted May 2 2019 - 11:00 AM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Yes, truly awesome! It seems you have their escaping under control now - what have you done differently to contain them?

I gave them a second outworld.  It seems that having the foragers split between two containers keeps them from swarming the barrier. Also, the barrier is about four inches thick.

• TennesseeAnts and ANTdrew like this

#94 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted May 8 2019 - 10:58 AM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Woohoo! The mini hearths finally came, and I love them. All of my colonies(except The Valentines) have been moved into one. I was disappointed when I moved the Camponotus chromaiodes out of their wooden nest. It was the first time I've gotten a full view of the colony in a while, and for some reason they've lost workers. Their current population is only 13... about 11 less than my last count. I think it may have happened because their nest got completely bone dry. I've been so busy that I haven't been adding water to their natural nest :facepalm: 

The Valentines' brood have changed from a majority of eggs and larvae to a majority of pupae. I love it when this happens because it makes the nest look fuller with brood in general, and also means that they are close to a population boom. It would be cool to have a colony break into the 3000-5000 worker range, especially one raised from just a queen.

• TennesseeAnts, ANTdrew, Acutus and 1 other like this

#95 Offline Acutus - Posted May 8 2019 - 11:03 AM

Acutus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Very Nice!!! I sure hope I can get my little Crematogaster Colony looking like yours!! Not sure of the species on mine though.

Edited by Acutus, May 17 2019 - 10:32 AM.

Billy

Currently keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes

Camponotus castaneus

Formica subsericea

#96 Offline T.C. - Posted May 8 2019 - 7:04 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
Growth is looking good.
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#97 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 17 2019 - 5:23 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Any updates, FTA?

Can you offer any advice on hydrating a vivarium? I have the flat stone you mentioned, and last night I used one of my kids' toy cups that has these drippy holes in it to simulate rain drops. I dripped a half cup of water. The issue I see is that the soil I used from my yard is straight up heavy clay, so the water penetrated maybe only an inch down or so. I run into the same issue when I'm watering my garden, actually. I guess I could just drip more water. I'm worried about overdoing it though.

#98 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted May 17 2019 - 9:01 AM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Any updates, FTA?

Can you offer any advice on hydrating a vivarium? I have the flat stone you mentioned, and last night I used one of my kids' toy cups that has these drippy holes in it to simulate rain drops. I dripped a half cup of water. The issue I see is that the soil I used from my yard is straight up heavy clay, so the water penetrated maybe only an inch down or so. I run into the same issue when I'm watering my garden, actually. I guess I could just drip more water. I'm worried about overdoing it though.

It's okay that it only penetrates about an inch. In my expeirience it ends up soaking all the way to the bottom, it just takes a while. One thing about clay is that you will find that even though not much water reaches the bottom of the vivarium, the clay will retain it very well. Even when the setup looks bone dry, the dirt deepest down still holds water.

• ANTdrew likes this

#99 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted May 21 2019 - 9:20 AM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Camponotus discolor

Both queens have pupae now :D

Crematogaster ashmeadi(The Valentines) 

The population boom is well under way! I'd estimate around 3200 workers at least, and there I still way more brood on the way.

Camponotus chromaiodes

Two new workers have eclosed, but the colony has also lost its only major. The queen's kicking it into high gear with egg production though, so maybe the colony will grow a little before the year is over.

CSC 0591

• Barristan, TennesseeAnts, ANTdrew and 1 other like this

#100 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted May 21 2019 - 10:50 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
Do the Valentines have any alates yet?

0 user(s) are reading this topic