• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

What's the dumbest mistake you've made in this hobby?

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#21 Offline Jonathan21700 - Posted February 28 2015 - 12:00 PM

Jonathan21700

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

I was moving a honeypot queen but it wouldn't come out of the test tube. So I flicked the tube a little harder and she disappeared into thin air. I never saw it again.

This has happened to me several times but at lest only one queen was lost. :)

#22 Offline antmaniac - Posted February 28 2015 - 4:48 PM

antmaniac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Well, lets put it this way. It was a bit windy that day and I had to answer a phone call...

At least now I know why there are so much fuss over the terracotta army. 

:o Were you able to at least salvage the pieces and make smaller nests? That's an interesting concept though, how were you planning on keeping the ants in the nest?

Yes, I have considered recycle the bottom block for other formicarium. This would be an outdoor formicarium for my Polyrhachis Sp., putting next to a plant in my garden. I will post the photos in my journal later.

#23 Offline Ants4fun - Posted March 4 2015 - 4:36 PM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota
Having a fully grown Pheidole colony with tons of Queens escape.

#24 Offline Miles - Posted March 4 2015 - 4:46 PM

Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationFlorida & Arizona

now have about 100 fancy 5x7x5" acrylic containers taking up a ton of room and only 3 are in use because they are so wide and I need to use heat cables due to low house temperature.

How did you get this many, and where? Sounds very expensive!

PhD Student & NSF Graduate Research Fellow | University of Florida Dept. of Entomology & Nematology - Lucky Ant Lab 

Founder & Director of The Ant Network. Ant keeper since 2009. Insect ecologist and science communicator. He/Him.

#25 Offline Ra3MaN - Posted March 4 2015 - 9:56 PM

Ra3MaN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationPretoria, South Africa

My dumbest mistake was thinking that my Lepisoita caspensis actually wanted to live in the formicarium I made for them... so I left the container open and unattended. I killed the escapees for there defiance   :stuckup:

2013 08 06 2640 escape

Edited by Ra3MaN, March 4 2015 - 9:58 PM.

• ctantkeeper likes this
IMG 5858

#26 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted March 4 2015 - 10:47 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Haha, how much of the population got out?

#27 Offline Ra3MaN - Posted March 4 2015 - 10:51 PM

Ra3MaN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationPretoria, South Africa

Quite a few and possibly a queen, L. caspensis is polygynous so it wasn't much of a loss, the only thing is I had to deal with ants showing up in random places.

IMG 5858

#28 Offline Crystals - Posted March 5 2015 - 7:18 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

now have about 100 fancy 5x7x5" acrylic containers taking up a ton of room and only 3 are in use because they are so wide and I need to use heat cables due to low house temperature.

How did you get this many, and where? Sounds very expensive!

It was a special order, and yes, it was quite expensive.  But they were nice and well made.  I have some of these empty containers on my page in the Marketplace section.  Luckily, they also work well for small high humidity plants and tarantulas so I was able to sell some already.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#29 Offline antsinmypants - Posted March 24 2015 - 7:05 AM

antsinmypants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Here are some pictures showing the making of my new formicarium, a work of art after hours of careful design, test and carve has finally come to fruition.

Front view with nest entrance.

Side view, look at that perfectly carved interconnecting tunnel and holes just fit for the clippers. 

Back view, another set of nest. By the way, keep on reading before you yell this is wrong topic to post on.

A water tank, perfect for the water source.

Combined and fitted nicely.

Well, lets put it this way. It was a bit windy that day and I had to answer a phone call...

At least now I know why there are so much fuss over the terracotta army. 

Your story reminds of the time when I lived in LA and took a telescope-making class. We learned how to grind our own mirror for a reflector telescope and then eventually made the mount, etc. The course was several months long. John Dobson taught the class and told us that "if you're going to break the mirror, break it on the first day."

• ctantkeeper likes this

#30 Offline antmaniac - Posted March 24 2015 - 4:52 PM

antmaniac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 507 posts

The story...

Your story reminds of the time when I lived in LA and took a telescope-making class. We learned how to grind our own mirror for a reflector telescope and then eventually made the mount, etc. The course was several months long. John Dobson taught the class and told us that "if you're going to break the mirror, break it on the first day."

It is just murphy's law. Although I have been extra cautious, I have been thinking to myself, at one stage, something will go wrong for sure.

#31 Offline Vendayn - Posted March 24 2015 - 8:58 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

I think I did the most personal stupid thing I've done yet.

I was feeding my brand new Dorymyrmex bicolor colony. And I was putting a bottle cap of honey (soaked in napkin) in there for them. But, then the neighbor and me started talking about my new ants. Then I went to see the Pheidole megacephala that are still in his garage. Then I went on a walk with my wife...

And I forgot to close the lid again xD There goes my brand new colony. They moved really quickly to outside the garage.

Note to self: Be sure to close ant farm lids...even while distracted. :(

Edited by Vendayn, March 24 2015 - 8:58 PM.

#32 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted July 30 2015 - 2:28 AM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Just topped my last dumbest mistake. :/

My largest Liometopum colony's test tube became molded, so I decided to dump them into a foraging container because they were large enough anyway. I placed the new test tube into the container for them to move into, I pulled their test tubes cotton out, and I dumped them out. Then I realized. :facepalm: I did not apply any Fluon... I am surprised I only lost like 5 workers doing damage control, but I did and up getting them under control and applied Fluon.

#33 Offline AntsMAN - Posted July 30 2015 - 3:15 AM

AntsMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

I put 9 camponotus queens in thin plactic containers, the next day they were all crawing around the house. They made easy work of the thin plastic, I only found 5 and Ma stepped on one. One of the survivors exploded with tiny worms.

I dug up a colony with a ton of alates thinking they were fertile queens.

Current queens/colonies

Camponotus novaeboracensis x2

Camponotus pennsylvanicus x2

Camponotus herculeanus x1

Formica sp. x1

Lasius americanus x1  (Lasius alienus)

Lasius neoniger x1

Crematogastor cerasi x1

Myrmica sp. x1

#34 Offline Trailandstreet - Posted July 30 2015 - 4:47 AM

Trailandstreet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

long time ago, i put a few alates in an old aquarium to get them mated (Lasius) but after a while, they died. %)

The last mistake happened, as I tried to force a Temnothorax queen to change the testtube. I put the tubes front on front together, but through a tiny gap the queen escaped. Ok, Temnothorax queens are small ... :thinking:

:hi: Franz

if you find any mistakes, it's my autocorrection. it doesn't speak english.

#35 Offline Canadian anter - Posted July 22 2016 - 4:03 AM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

Not making the cotton in the test tube tight enough. this cost me 3/4 of my myrmica colony, 6 myrmica queens. Which got out and killed my solenopsis molesta and my temnothorax through the out world. I also had a Camponotus queen and 3 tetramoriums get out this way.

Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#36 Offline Loops117 - Posted July 22 2016 - 4:46 AM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • LocationSouth Lyon, Michigan

2 nights ago i flipped my Large C.pennsylvanicus colony over while cleaning out the outworld. Shortly after my girlfriend (the ruler of the house) walks past, so i quickly move the coffee table over the spilled nest forgetting to put the lid back on the outworld. Told her i was looking for something under the table. 3rd of my workers escaped and quickly scattered across the living room floor. That colony is no longer my largest =(

• ctantkeeper likes this

#37 Offline Goldsystem - Posted July 22 2016 - 6:41 PM

Goldsystem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • LocationWichita Kansas
I Tryed interducing a p.imparis worker to my queen, well that dident go over well but at least the queen was (as far as I can tell) unharmed :/

#38 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted July 23 2016 - 12:13 AM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

2 nights ago i flipped my Large C.pennsylvanicus colony over while cleaning out the outworld. Shortly after my girlfriend (the ruler of the house) walks past, so i quickly move the coffee table over the spilled nest forgetting to put the lid back on the outworld. Told her i was looking for something under the table. 3rd of my workers escaped and quickly scattered across the living room floor. That colony is no longer my largest =(

sorry to hear that :(

#39 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted July 23 2016 - 12:18 AM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

A while back, i purchased a Messor barbarus queen for roughly 30 dollars and was able to rear a successful colony from her (around 48 workers with majors on the way). On one of the Facebook ant keeping forums, someone recommended feeding them a slice of apple to give them an extra carbohydrate boost, so I carefully washed apple slice and gave it to them. Long story short, my 30 dollar queen quickly succumbed to pesticides two days later. I was absolutely devastated!!! To this day, I no longer feed my ants fruit of any kind out of fear lol

#40 Offline Antennal_Scrobe - Posted September 17 2019 - 7:55 PM

Antennal_Scrobe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, Wisconsin

Does this thread still exist? Well, here goes: I though two Tetramorium immigrans queens were Myrmecina americana for about a week. I caught the first one on the day of the massive nuptial flight, so I just assumed since she didn't have any brood and Tetramorium flew in July that she was the latter species. The second one looked the same as the first, so naturally I categorized it as the same species. To be fair I hadn't gotten a good look at a Tetramorium queen for a while.

Currently keeping:

Tetramorium immigrans, Pogonomyrmex occidentalis

Myrmica punctiventris, Formica subsericea

Formica pallidefulva, Aphaeogaster cf. rudis

Camponotus pennsylvanicus

Camponotus nearcticus

Crematogaster cerasi

Temnothorax ambiguus

Prenolepis imparis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users