• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Interesting discovery

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Offline ZllGGY - Posted November 15 2018 - 9:07 AM

ZllGGY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • LocationLaramie, WY

So i just received an email from an APHIS official and he stated that "The movement of ant queens/plant pests through state borders may be allowed but it depends on the species and geography" so from what he is saying I'm taking it that if its either the same species or such a different climate that if they did escape they could never make it that you can in fact transport queen ants and colonies across state borders. i will also ask for greater clarification from this person also about that.

• Mettcollsuss, TennesseeAnts, AntsBC and 2 others like this

Colonies:

Founding:

Camponotus cf. Modoc

Camponotus cf. Herculeanus

Dream Ants:

Stenamma Diecki

Solenopsis Molesta

Manica Invidia

Camponotus Herculeanus

Lasius Latipes

Dorymyrmex Pyramicus

Tapinoma Sessile

#2 Offline Kalidas - Posted November 15 2018 - 9:31 AM

Kalidas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • LocationSanta Ana
Oh neat, that could mean that people up north could keep say for example southern ant species like Myrmecocystus Mexicanus because they would never survive the cold

#3 Offline ZllGGY - Posted November 15 2018 - 9:33 AM

ZllGGY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • LocationLaramie, WY

Oh neat, that could mean that people up north could keep say for example southern ant species like Myrmecocystus Mexicanus because they would never survive the cold

exactly but i will email him later tonight as i need to send him a spread sheet so when i find out more information ill post it here

Colonies:

Founding:

Camponotus cf. Modoc

Dream Ants:

Stenamma Diecki

Solenopsis Molesta

Manica Invidia

Camponotus Herculeanus

Lasius Latipes

Dorymyrmex Pyramicus

Tapinoma Sessile

#4 Offline Kalidas - Posted November 15 2018 - 9:42 AM

Kalidas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • LocationSanta Ana
Now just because something is legal doesn't mean it is a good idea. Back to my example such a species would be very hard to keep alive and healthy in such a climate without very costly and intensive climate control measures in your house. Even a slight screw up could kill them all and that would be sad. So one must ask not only "is this legal" but also "is this moral?"

#5 Offline ZllGGY - Posted November 15 2018 - 9:56 AM

ZllGGY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • LocationLaramie, WY

Now just because something is legal doesn't mean it is a good idea. Back to my example such a species would be very hard to keep alive and healthy in such a climate without very costly and intensive climate control measures in your house. Even a slight screw up could kill them all and that would be sad. So one must ask not only "is this legal" but also "is this moral?"

well i think for an experienced keeper who may already have such things as a god portion of people in this hobby also have other pets that require certain climates but for new people probably not the best. for me though as I'm trying to start a business it would be super easy to keep certain climate conditions for anything as ill have all the equipment. i think its more of a situation based thing, but this would help people who missed out on a species they wanted and one state over that has the same species can just mail it to them would be kind of cool.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

Colonies:

Founding:

Camponotus cf. Modoc

Dream Ants:

Stenamma Diecki

Solenopsis Molesta

Manica Invidia

Camponotus Herculeanus

Lasius Latipes

Dorymyrmex Pyramicus

Tapinoma Sessile

#6 Offline gcsnelling - Posted November 15 2018 - 3:52 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

You also have to consider whether it would be state legal. APHIS is federal but states will certainly have their own restrictions which can be far more restrictive than the  federal ones.

• Martialis, TennesseeAnts and AntsBC like this

#7 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted November 15 2018 - 4:06 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationProsperity, South Carolina

I wonder if Cephalotes varians would be able to survive a South Carolina winter. We never get below zero, but last year it got down to 17 degrees Fahrenheit. It's the coldest temperature I have ever experienced here in all of my nine year living here. I'll have to do some research on that.

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#8 Offline Serafine - Posted November 15 2018 - 10:25 PM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

The problem is you can never be sure if ants are able to survive - I've read a journal where someone put his Messor aciculatus colony in one of his garden plant pots thinking they'd die anyway - he got serious breath problems because of mold in their setup so he had to move them outside (and no, it wasn't a great idea to put them in a flower pot) - but against all odds they survived winter with -20°C freezing temperature spikes  They didn't do great and in the end will probably get wiped out by local Myrmica and Lasius species but the fact that they were able to survive winter alone at temperatures considered far beyond what they thought to be able to survive is as remarkable as it is alarming.

In another case there was a guy who decided to let his Acromyrmex rome free in central Germany - they nested in the walls of his house and survived winter inside the warm walls (they probably had great die-offs due to food shortage but still that they survived winter at all is quite amazing). The whole thing only got busted when after a few years neighbours recognized exceptionally large ants ravaging through their gardens and cutting down their flowers.

So deciding which ants could become problematic and which can't is very difficult and most of the times environment officials decide to rather be safe than sorry. Once an ant population has established itself in a wider area it is often impossible to remove it entirely.

Edited by Serafine, November 15 2018 - 10:28 PM.

• gcsnelling, Martialis, Nathant2131 and 4 others like this

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#9 Offline ANTdrew - Posted November 16 2018 - 6:45 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Climate change is another factor to keep in mind. Moving around southern species just because they can't tolerate cold could potentially become an ecological disaster further down the line.

At least for me, the best part of this hobby is how much I've learned about my native ants and my growing appreciation for them.

"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#10 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted November 16 2018 - 7:04 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationProsperity, South Carolina

Climate change is another factor to keep in mind. Moving around southern species just because they can't tolerate cold could potentially become an ecological disaster further down the line.

At least for me, the best part of this hobby is how much I've learned about my native ants and my growing appreciation for them.

You've got a point. While we may not have Cephalotes sp. here in South Carolina, but we do have three species of Colobopsis one of which, Colobopsis obliqua, I own. They may not be as cool or related by any means, they have similar habits, as they both have a phragmotic major caste which block off the nest entrances.

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#11 Offline brianhershey - Posted November 16 2018 - 2:53 PM

brianhershey

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

APHIS official stated that "The movement of ant queens/plant pests through state borders may be allowed but it depends on the species and geography"

There are permits that will allow sale, import and export of specific species to and from specific areas. These permits are not a secret but for whatever reason not widely known. I know multiple people that have permits and based on their inspections and capabilities as an ant keeper they are approved, one species at a time, to have them shipped to them from anywhere in the US, even if the species is NOT native to the location of the person with the permit. The permit would then allow them to raise, sell and ship them but only to specific geo areas where the species is native. It's a big undertaking to get these permits and to build yourself up as a true multi-species ant seller here in the US. Sorry I don't have links to more info... it's something I would never do myself but I've enjoyed chatting with the people that have done it.

#12 Offline gcsnelling - Posted November 16 2018 - 4:16 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

I would want to see copies of any of these permits that someone claims to have, if they refuse to scan and post them that would tell me a lot.

• Martialis likes this

#13 Offline dspdrew - Posted November 16 2018 - 5:16 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Haha, anyone getting a permit also has to abide by super strict regulations, or face fines of 10's of thousands of dollars. I highly doubt they can just hand these ants out to people willy nilly. I can post an actual permit someone I know got, who ultimately decided to not do anything with because the regulations would have been almost impossible to abide by given their situation. it seems to be a lot of blanket rules, that in some situations just seem silly.

• dermy and TennesseeAnts like this

#14 Offline T.C. - Posted November 16 2018 - 6:46 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Haha, anyone getting a permit also has to abide by super strict regulations, or face fines of 10's of thousands of dollars. I highly doubt they can just hand these ants out to people willy nilly. I can post an actual permit someone I know got, who ultimately decided to not do anything with because the regulations would have been almost impossible to abide by given their situation. it seems to be a lot of blanket rules, that in some situations just seem silly.

You've said you were gonna edit out the personal info on that permit and post it a few times. :P
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#15 Offline brianhershey - Posted November 16 2018 - 6:47 PM

brianhershey

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

I would want to see copies of any of these permits that someone claims to have, if they refuse to scan and post them that would tell me a lot.

I've seen the permits as well as drew, so really no need to be skeptical. One guy I had lengthy chats with was posting all the info in another ant group around a year ago... he was approved for 2 or 3 species last time I saw an update. I've seen the inspection forms and the improvements he had to make to his ant room before approval would proceed, etc. It's a fascinating process, you should learn about it instead of spinning conspiracy theories lol.

I highly doubt they can just hand these ants out to people willy nilly.

Who suggested people hand out ants in that fashion? They do much of their business between themselves, like a supply chain, large to small then to the final consumer. I know a permit holder in Florida (that ALSO has international permits) that raises a species only native to another part of the country, and sells to anyone in that native area... as long as they verify geography... an ADDRESS! They can sell and ship to them... there are NO other sale restrictions for that species for a very defined geographic area.

#16 Offline brianhershey - Posted November 16 2018 - 7:08 PM

brianhershey

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

You've said you were gonna edit out the personal info on that permit and post it a few times. :P

And so the owner and moderator fan the flames of misinformation... YAY!!! lol SMH

#17 Offline T.C. - Posted November 16 2018 - 7:50 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

And so the owner and moderator fan the flames of misinformation... YAY!!! lol SMH
What "misinformation" are you talking about? Every once in a while we get a kid like you on the site who gets all upset with some members post(s), that they don't entirely agree with. They come on trying to explain why they believe the other person is wrong, with yet no proof to back up their statement. Their argument is generally fueled by the fact they don't want what the other person stated to be true. Also, thanks for reminding me i'm a moderator. You broke rule 7.

. Post in legible, coherent English, without excessive use of emoticons, slang, chat acronyms, or instant messenger shorthand

Edited by T.C., November 16 2018 - 7:51 PM.

“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#18 Offline GeorgeK - Posted November 17 2018 - 10:13 AM

GeorgeK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • LocationSiberia

APHIS official stated that "The movement of ant queens/plant pests through state borders may be allowed but it depends on the species and geography"

There are permits that will allow sale, import and export of specific species to and from specific areas. These permits are not a secret but for whatever reason not widely known. I know multiple people that have permits and based on their inspections and capabilities as an ant keeper they are approved, one species at a time, to have them shipped to them from anywhere in the US, even if the species is NOT native to the location of the person with the permit. The permit would then allow them to raise, sell and ship them but only to specific geo areas where the species is native. It's a big undertaking to get these permits and to build yourself up as a true multi-species ant seller here in the US. Sorry I don't have links to more info... it's something I would never do myself but I've enjoyed chatting with the people that have done it.

Show pics or it didn't happen

#19 Offline Serafine - Posted November 17 2018 - 11:55 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

You do know that you can look up every single permit on the USDA's website?

Currently there's a single permit holder in the entire state of NY, the NY university for Harpegnathos saltator. Everyone else from NY claiming he has a permit is a liar.

• gcsnelling and GeorgeK like this

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#20 Offline gcsnelling - Posted November 17 2018 - 2:05 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

You do know that you can look up every single permit on the USDA's website?

Currently there's a single permit holder in the entire state of NY, the NY university for Harpegnathos saltator. Everyone else from NY claiming he has a permit is a liar.

Can you post a ink to the appropriate page to perform such a records search?/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users