• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Parasitic Formica ID, Athabsca, AB (Canada)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Crystals - Posted September 2 2014 - 7:16 PM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

Location of collection: Athabasca, Alberta Canada
Date of collection: Aug. 28 (sunny with sparse clouds, 22C)
Habitat of collection: Found on a deck in a town.  Location is mostly boreal forest bordered by some sandy pines, river habitat, muskeg.
Length (from head to gaster): 9mm
Color, hue, pattern and texture:  Gaster is black.  Head and thorax are red on the underside with black on top.  Not as hairy as some Formica species I have seen.  Not really shiny either.

Characteristics: Definitely parasitic in behavior, although the best parasitic mother I have ever seen.  Helped the boosted worker eclose with no problem - better than the non-parasitic Formica...  The calmest Formica I have ever seen, and usually parasitic species are even more skittish.  It actually seems curious about the camera...

FormicaMandibles2_zpsd357b55b.jpg

FormicaMandibles_zpsc9e9f14c.jpg

Formicaside_zpscb68333a.jpg

Formicahighangle_zps3f4f770d.png

DSC06906_zpse305e320.jpg

DSC06905_zpsb884365a.jpg

DSC06899_zps501e0e65.jpg

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#2 Offline Crystals - Posted September 2 2014 - 7:22 PM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

I know I have seen similar workers in a sandy location about 8km away from here, but never collected a worker to ID them.  All I can think of is Formica emeryi, but I don't think those are parasitic.  For some reason I can't seem to get antweb to give me a side view of any of the Formica found in Alberta so I am really struggling.  Any ideas?

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

My Colonies

#3 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted September 2 2014 - 7:49 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Are you sure she is parasitic?

#4 Offline Crystals - Posted September 3 2014 - 5:46 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

I am very sure she is parasitic.  The longer legs, the heavier build, the bigger mandibles.

If I don't feed her every 24 hours, she starts tugging on the cotton.  Once full she calmly sits with her workers/pupae.

My Colonies

#5 Offline dspdrew - Posted September 3 2014 - 6:16 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

AntWeb won't give you a side view?

#6 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 21 2015 - 1:17 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Hey crystal, did you ever find out for sure what this was?

#7 Offline Crystals - Posted April 21 2015 - 1:57 PM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

All I can think of is Fromica emeryi.  The coloring is pretty unique in this location, you occasionally see colonies of this species, but she isn't just an oddly colored queen.  I have seen them before.

I am waiting for a worker to pass away to stick it under the USB microscope.  Then I plan to reserect this thread again.

That is the problem with many species, you need the workers to get a 100% positive ID.  Formica and Lasius are terrible in this regard when trying to ID queens.

They sure aren't Formica aserva, no where near as aggressive (I had those in the past).

This species is quite calm for Formica - even more unusual since she is parasitic - or I assumed she was parasitic, she sure wanted food more than any other parasitic queen I ever had.

My Colonies

#8 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 21 2015 - 2:01 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Oh okay. I wasn't sure if you still had it or not.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users