• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Is it legal to keep Atta texana in the US?

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Kit - Posted September 15 2015 - 6:39 AM

Kit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationNemo's Antisemitic Universe

This may seem like a stupid question, but is it legal to keep the native US leafcutter ant species Atta texana in the US? Someone on another forum from the US has made an inquiry about keeping 'exotic' ants, and I told them how the US prohibits all ant imports, and how Australia is unhelpful when it comes to anyone making an ant inquiry; so I thought Atta texana would be an 'exotic' option and ok as it is already native to the US.

I know it is considered a pest species, but I have read leafcutter ants need constant tropical temps and humidity to survive, so it's not like the colony is going to be a pest species in the top half of the continental US. Plus there are insecticide treatments you can easily acquire and use on any 'pest' nest, so I am assuming it would be ok to keep this ant?

#2 Offline Crystals - Posted September 15 2015 - 7:01 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

Queens should not go over state borders.

General rules in the US say, if you find it in that state (and there is no town/county bylaw stating otherwise) you can keep it in that state.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#3 Offline Kit - Posted September 15 2015 - 7:04 AM

Kit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Thanks for clarifying this it has been most helpful. No offence taken with any posts on here. I also found my answer on my enemies forum unfortunately http://antfarm.yuku....os#.VfgxEdKqqko

Just to clarify it is only legal to keep this ant in Texas. Bye.

#4 Offline dspdrew - Posted September 15 2015 - 7:18 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I'm pretty sure the laws regarding ants pertain to transporting, not keeping.

#5 Offline Mercutia - Posted September 15 2015 - 11:48 AM

Mercutia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Thanks for clarifying this it has been most helpful. No offence taken with any posts on here. I also found my answer on my enemies forum unfortunately http://antfarm.yuku....os#.VfgxEdKqqko

Just to clarify it is only legal to keep this ant in Texas. Bye.

Atta texana extends a little further than just Texas. I believe some were also found in Lousiana and the surrounding area.

#6 Offline William. T - Posted September 15 2015 - 11:54 AM

William. T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • LocationWestern Maryland

It's not illegal. The laws want you not to transport gynes past state lines.

Edited by William. T, September 15 2015 - 11:54 AM.

Species I keep:

1 Lasius cf. Neoniger 30 workers

1 Camponotus sp. 15 workers

20 Tetramorium SpE 30 workers

1 T. Sessile 200 workers

#7 Offline drtrmiller - Posted September 15 2015 - 12:19 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Not true.  Any organism that causes "direct or indirect damage to plants or plant products" is forbidden from transport under the actual law.

USDA cherry picks what provisions to enforce, as well as how to enforce the statute, and so USDA guidelines differ from the text itself.

This is confusing to most people.  It is important to understand, however, that USDA guidelines are not law, but are simply an interpretation as to how to best enforce the law.

Edited by drtrmiller, September 15 2015 - 12:20 PM.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#8 Offline William. T - Posted September 15 2015 - 5:47 PM

William. T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Not true.  Any organism that causes "direct or indirect damage to plants or plant products" is forbidden from transport under the actual law.

USDA cherry picks what provisions to enforce, as well as how to enforce the statute, and so USDA guidelines differ from the text itself.

This is confusing to most people.  It is important to understand, however, that USDA guidelines are not law, but are simply an interpretation as to how to best enforce the law.

You misunderstand me. I meant that the law wouldn't allow him to transport queens past state lines. That is one aspect of the law. Officers stay on the safe side, so no queens can be shipped. 

Species I keep:

1 T. Sessile 200 workers

#9 Offline drtrmiller - Posted September 15 2015 - 5:59 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

I did not misunderstand.  Again, the law does not specify in any way whether the plant pest can reproduce—only that it is an organism that can cause direct or indirect damage to plants or plant products.

Worker ants that can harm plants are covered under the law, since they are an organism—this is why USDA issues permits to businesses that sell Pogonomyrmex workers for use in children's ant farms.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#10 Offline William. T - Posted September 15 2015 - 6:06 PM

William. T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts

I did not misunderstand.  Again, the law does not specify in any way whether the plant pest can reproduce—only that it is an organism that can cause direct or indirect damage to plants or plant products.

Worker ants that can harm plants are covered under the law, since they are an organism—this is why USDA issues permits to businesses that sell Pogonomyrmex workers for use in children's ant farms.

I was referring to the fact it is not advisable to ship queens across state borders. That's all. If the ants are kept within the state they are caught it is not illegal.

Edited by William. T, September 15 2015 - 6:07 PM.

Species I keep:

1 T. Sessile 200 workers

#11 Offline drtrmiller - Posted September 15 2015 - 6:25 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

That depends whether or not the organism is a plant pest.

The highly specialized predator Odontomachus, for example, has little interaction with plants, and in my opinion could be transported across state lines.

Again let's be clear when talking about legal matters—the term to use is transport, not ship.

Also, the Lacey Act may be applicable for organisms that are prohibited under the Plant Pest Act, which could hold additional ramifications for the import, export, sale, acquisition, or purchase of said plant pests, even within the confines of the state!  It is important to understand the laws before engaging in discussions about them.

#12 Offline Kit - Posted September 15 2015 - 10:28 PM

Kit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

The US exists in a region where hot and cold air mixes. You get hurricanes everywhere. It's likely to conclude female alate of these species flying around are found blown into the gardens of people throughout the US on occasion. Use your imagination. Of course it is legal to keep this ant if a hurricane has blown a mated Queen into your yard. Stop being so OCD, allow leaf cutter ants to be kept in the hobby and watch it take off in the US. Anyway bye. 

#13 Offline TheAnswerIsTheLogic - Posted September 16 2015 - 4:10 AM

TheAnswerIsTheLogic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • LocationRomania,Dambovita

come on no one will come to you house (police) to control you about formicarium ants. Police do real work not controling for ants.I don't think there are people around you who come at you and KNOW EXACT ANT SPECIES U HAVE and report you to police that is .....

If you had pheidole or t sessile yes but with this ant who are inofensive no one will do anything

#14 Offline Ants4fun - Posted September 16 2015 - 4:16 AM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota
Kit, your last post makes no sense. It's like saying that Argentine ants are probably blown all over the states, so we should be able to transport then everywhere. The last thing we need, is another invasive ant. BTW none of us have the power to allow or not allow ants to be transported, so all we can do is speculate as to what the law means. Anyway, bye.

#15 Offline Ants4fun - Posted September 16 2015 - 4:19 AM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota
GeniusNutella12 The question is not whether or not we can get away with it, but whether or not it is legal or ethical. Nobody would have guessed that Argentine ants would be so invasive. A large leafcutter ant colony can consume more than a cow. If that was Florida citrus trees, or other crops,farmers would get mad. Therefore restricting the laws even more.

#16 Offline James C. Trager - Posted September 16 2015 - 6:20 AM

James C. Trager

Expert

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Kit:

Ants do not fly during hurricanes.

(PS - AntDude is not your enemy, though you seem to have set yourself up as his. How about just give it a rest?!) 

• Crystals, dermy, LC3 and 1 other like this

#17 Offline Mercutia - Posted September 16 2015 - 6:32 AM

Mercutia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts

@James C. Trager:  :lol:  rofl

#18 Offline Kit - Posted September 16 2015 - 7:13 AM

Kit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Kit:

(PS - AntDude is not your enemy, though you seem to have set yourself up as his. How about just give it a rest?!) 

James....the ever narcissistic academic. Great to hear more of your crap. What did you spend 3 years at Uni doing some half baked Science degree and now think somehow I have to listen to this. Not intimidated or impressed.

Love how you singled out me as a racist, completely ignoring Servercheckers earlier extremely racist rant. In fact now I think about what Serverchecker said it is extremely offensive, he is basically stating he takes pride in speaking English better than a native speaker....and what other motive would he have for thinking like that than being racist himself, and so we finally see what antdudes little experiment was all about. You can't even see your own subconscious racism staring back at you....or perhaps if I had Penang, Malaysia as my location I would get a pass.

James and Mercuita you lose all credibility in my eyes. Play your little mod games on here, what do I care.  

Oh and Severhecker do you honestly believe I would ever care about how I command English to allow it to be a definitive trait of my own self worth? You sound incredibly pathetic right now; like seriously get a life. Hows that for zero tolerance moron.

People like antdude should be put down. I'm glad he has damaged the hobby beyond repair, and you can't even see it. Such delusion doesn't deserve any sympathy. I guess I will say goodbye the only way ants know how....

#19 Offline Mercutia - Posted September 16 2015 - 7:38 AM

Mercutia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Kit:

James....the ever narcissistic academic. Great to hear more of your crap. What did you spend 3 years at Uni doing some half baked Science degree and now think somehow I have to listen to this. Not intimidated or impressed.

Love how you singled out me as a racist, completely ignoring Servercheckers earlier extremely racist rant. In fact now I think about what Serverchecker said it is extremely offensive, he is basically stating he takes pride in speaking English better than a native speaker....and what other motive would he have for thinking like that than being racist himself, and so we finally see what antdudes little experiment was all about. You can't even see your own subconscious racism staring back at you....or perhaps if I had Penang, Malaysia as my location I would get a pass.

James and Mercuita you lose all credibility in my eyes. Play your little mod games on here, what do I care.  

Oh and Severhecker do you honestly believe I would ever care about how I command English to allow it to be a definitive trait of my own self worth? You sound incredibly pathetic right now; like seriously get a life. Hows that for zero tolerance moron.

People like antdude should be put down. I'm glad he has damaged the hobby beyond repair, and you can't even see it. Such delusion doesn't deserve any sympathy. I guess I will say goodbye the only way ants know how....

1. A "Native English Speaker" is not a race, thus negating it being "racist". "Asian" is a race. Making generalizations about a person based on their ethnicity, or race like "Chinese" or "Malaysian" or "Asian" or "Black" is inherently racist. Making generalizations about "native English speaker" not racist because anyone can be a native English speaker despite apparent heritage or physical attributes or even geographic location. I am a native English speaker. I literally speak only English. I'm born and raised in Canada. I'm also Asian. Weird how that works eh?

2. You've blatantly been racist and yet you haven't seen how you've been racist makes me wonder if you actually know what racism is, sounds like, and looks like.

3. You mention before that countries like "Japan", etc were racist. Was anyone denying that people in other countries can't be racist? No. But here in North America, such generalizations and ignorance is not tolerated. Sorry for being so PC. If you are upset with how PC we are I'm sure there are many Australian ant forums that will gladly welcome you and your behaviour with open arms.

#20 Offline AntsTexas - Posted September 16 2015 - 7:56 AM

AntsTexas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • LocationLubbock, Texas

what if u send your friend a nice plant/tree and it just happens to hav a queen in the dirt?

Ant Queens found:

Solenopsis Invicta,  Solenopsis xyloni,  Brachymyrmex depilis/Sp,  Myrmecocystus Mimicus,  Pogonomyrmex barbatus,

Forelius pruinosus,  Camponotus sayi, Dorymyrmex insanus, crematogaster ashmeadi,

----------------------------------------

Ant Queens i have going right now:

camponotus sayi, solenopsis invicta, Myrmecocystus Mimicus, Forelius pruinosus

Pogonomyrmex barbatus, and some others (no i.d.)

---------------------------------------

YouTube:  AntsTexas

Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/cdockray1

Facebook page:  AntsTexas

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users