• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

American Ant Keeping Hall of Fame

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#41 Offline Barristan - Posted August 17 2015 - 2:04 AM

Barristan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • LocationBindlach, Bavaria, Germany

Barristan:

You only read one paper from him and you think you don't need to know more about all the rest??? Ant keeping techniques had a lot from his research!

Tell me more. What techniques exactly?

#42 Offline William. T - Posted August 17 2015 - 4:32 AM

William. T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • LocationWestern Maryland

It's funny. Some people ... No, I'm not going to say what I wanted . Reason: Some would like me to do so they can attack me just like the like to do whenever they can. I belong to a group, also including American members, that are attacked when we say our meaning about a few things where science supports us.

Merkur, one of the best myrmecologists for the last +/- 50 years, specialized in social parasitic ants, is also one of the myrmecologists that did do much research about how to keep ants. But that seems not important here... insulting him is allowed... Shame!

It is also funny that at once the list is restricted to Americans, so goodbye Hölldobler (worked most of his career in the USA), Forel,... And then you have to think that most of the technics to keep ants were invented and improved by Europeans like Huber, de Réaumur, Lubbock, Janet, Forel, Buschinger,...

I really don't want backlash that Buschinger will give me. Also, didn't European Ant Keepers contribute? Then it will be extended to them, and who knows who Buschinger is going to say. I though this monkey business is gone and behind us, but (*sign*). It strange how a non offensive topic can escalate. Also how you don't let Buschinger be criticized, when he was doing it first. It's not like we are trading ants on this topic or selling ant merchandise, something your circle of people does not like. I really can't see how this is getting under your skin.

Edited by William. T, August 17 2015 - 4:33 AM.

Species I keep:

1 Lasius cf. Neoniger 30 workers

1 Camponotus sp. 15 workers

20 Tetramorium SpE 30 workers

1 T. Sessile 200 workers

#43 Offline William. T - Posted August 17 2015 - 4:54 AM

William. T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Added Mack Pridgen. Again, let's get this business behind us and have a proper topic! :)

Species I keep:

1 T. Sessile 200 workers

#44 Offline William. T - Posted August 17 2015 - 5:40 AM

William. T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Added Crystal S. Please suggest who else to add.

Edited by William. T, August 17 2015 - 5:40 AM.

Species I keep:

1 T. Sessile 200 workers

#45 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 17 2015 - 5:56 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

If this is insulting that depends on you BUT yes, most ant keepers find it insulting because they want to do whatever they want WITHOUT tinking about possible consequences...

This might be true in Germany, but absolutely not true in the States, and certainly not true for drtmiller, who was the one originally offended.

• William. T, spinyeti and Tyrone like this

#46 Offline drtrmiller - Posted August 17 2015 - 6:30 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

William -

It is neither appropriate nor objective to list the benefits of certain products in the biographies of users who manufacture or create them.

Talking about specific product features kind of blurs the line enough as it is—but saying that one product has a certain benefit over another, or is adequate for a specific use, makes the description more of a testimonial than a biography.

The biographies of these "businessmen" should focus on contributions to the hobby of antkeeping, such as increased awareness, access, and participation, and not at all on the products themselves, the efficacy of which is easily subject to debate.

• gcsnelling, William. T, spinyeti and 1 other like this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#47 Offline Diffeomorphismus - Posted August 17 2015 - 7:23 AM

Diffeomorphismus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationGermany

Sorry, but it makes me speechless, that you are all get in a flap because of something written by Merkur, who is a well known troll in the German forums. (Yes, he was a researcher, too. That's why his behavior is a real shame!) Merkur is not a member of this forum here, but he is making a lot of fun of it in the German "Ameisenportal" forum. His favored victim is drtrmiller because he do not like his products. The funny thing is, that he had never tested even one of this products.

So calm down everyone and ignore what Merkur is writing. He is just demanding for attention as he do in the German forums for over a decade now. He only brought conflicts and disturbance to them. And if someone criticzises him for doing this he always says: "I am the expert! Do not criticzise me or I will leave the forum!" Meanwhile he is only active in the "Ameisenportal" forum. And believe me when I say, that the members of the other forums are very happy that he has left this forums! Now they are better places.

@Teleutotje

How many German ant keepers do know, so that you can give such a generalized statement about them? You once told me, that you are scientist. If you are in Germany an see one black ant. Are you then going back to Belgium and publish: "In Germany all ants are black!"?

I know no Belgium ant keeper - and even if I know a few - I would never give a generalized statement about all the Belgium ant keepers as you do about the German ones. But I know many German ant keepers. And so I know, that you are absolutely wrong! You defame all the German ant keepers. Shame on you! 

Futhermore I read most of the publications of Merkur (Buschinger). And so I can say, that he had nearly no influence on the "German way" of keeping ants. But you can correct me by giving us a lot of examples!

Edited by Diffeomorphismus, August 17 2015 - 7:34 AM.

#48 Offline drtrmiller - Posted August 17 2015 - 7:38 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

His favored victim is drtrmiller because he do not like his products. The funny thing is, that he had never tested even one of this products.

Merkur decided to reply to this thread on Yuku where he is a member.  It's an interesting dialogue that is currently developing.

See more at antfarm.yuku.com

Edited by drtrmiller, August 17 2015 - 7:38 AM.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#49 Offline William. T - Posted August 17 2015 - 7:41 AM

William. T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts

William -

It is neither appropriate nor objective to list the benefits of certain products in the biographies of users who manufacture or create them.

Talking about specific product features kind of blurs the line enough as it is—but saying that one product has a certain benefit over another, or is adequate for a specific use, makes the description more of a testimonial than a biography.

The biographies of these "businessmen" should focus on contributions to the hobby of antkeeping, such as increased awareness, access, and participation, and not at all on the products themselves, the efficacy of which is easily subject to debate.

Sorry about that. I changed it.

Edited by William. T, August 17 2015 - 7:43 AM.

Species I keep:

1 T. Sessile 200 workers

#50 Offline William. T - Posted August 17 2015 - 7:47 AM

William. T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts

His favored victim is drtrmiller because he do not like his products. The funny thing is, that he had never tested even one of this products.

Merkur decided to reply to this thread on Yuku where he is a member.  It's an interesting dialogue that is currently developing.

Let's leave this behind, shall we? I know Dr. Buschinger insulted you, but for some reason he hates selling of ant merchandise of all sorts, and everyone knows that. Buschinger isn't going to make an account here, and we all got Teletotje to quiet down - for now. Let's just talk Formiculturing, :D (from this thread: http://www.formicult...ng/#entry25539)from here on out.

• Tyrone likes this

Species I keep:

1 T. Sessile 200 workers

#51 Offline Tyrone - Posted August 17 2015 - 8:01 AM

Tyrone

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

U should add Antdude.

#52 Offline William. T - Posted August 17 2015 - 8:07 AM

William. T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts

U should add Antdude.

Not a lot on him except that he owns Yuku and policies grammar. I need more info.

Edited by William. T, August 17 2015 - 8:08 AM.

Species I keep:

1 T. Sessile 200 workers

#53 Offline William. T - Posted August 17 2015 - 8:42 AM

William. T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Added Dr. Tschinkel.

Species I keep:

1 T. Sessile 200 workers

#54 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 17 2015 - 9:46 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

U should add Antdude.

Not a lot on him except that he owns Yuku and policies grammar. I need more info.

For the record, Antdude does not own Yuku.com. He does however, have an account there and administers The Ant Farm and Myrmecology Forum, which is one of the many forums on that website.

#55 Offline Diffeomorphismus - Posted August 17 2015 - 9:53 AM

Diffeomorphismus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationGermany

I have read his post. It is always the same: He is the victim and we are the bad German ant keepers. This neverending story is exhausting. Who is able to unterstand German should read his post in the German forums. So everyone can form his own opinion. I have not the time to translate all the post where he insults shop owners, ant keepers, scientists and so on... 

I am here to talk about keeping ants an not about this Merkur guy. But it makes me angry, when people like Teleutotje defame German or generally European ant keepers. (See his "European Madness Thread" in the yuku forum or his statements here.)

Surely, there are differences between the "German/European way" of keeping ants and the "American way". But I think we should respect each other. And it would make me sad, if ant keepers from other parts of the world belief such bad things propagandized by some people.

Here are many ant keepers from Germany and Europe. Just ask them! 

Best regards, 

A bad and irresponsible German ant keeper ;)

Edited by Diffeomorphismus, August 17 2015 - 9:55 AM.

• Barristan likes this

#56 Offline William. T - Posted August 17 2015 - 10:30 AM

William. T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts

I have read his post. It is always the same: He is the victim and we are the bad German ant keepers. This neverending story is exhausting. Who is able to unterstand German should read his post in the German forums. So everyone can form his own opinion. I have not the time to translate all the post where he insults shop owners, ant keepers, scientists and so on... 

I am here to talk about keeping ants an not about this Merkur guy. But it makes me angry, when people like Teleutotje defame German or generally European ant keepers. (See his "European Madness Thread" in the yuku forum or his statements here.)

Surely, there are differences between the "German/European way" of keeping ants and the "American way". But I think we should respect each other. And it would make me sad, if ant keepers from other parts of the world belief such bad things propagandized by some people.

Best regards, 

We all know that Dr. Buschinger aims to get under people's skin at times, but let's ignore him and Teletotje for now, ok? This thread is too off task at times. It's about recognizing people that contribute to Ant Keeping, not about certain European Myrmecologists pissing people off. Let's get back on track.

Species I keep:

1 T. Sessile 200 workers

#57 Offline William. T - Posted August 17 2015 - 10:33 AM

William. T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts

U should add Antdude.

For the record, Antdude does not own Yuku.com. He does however, have an account there and administers The Ant Farm and Myrmecology Forum, which is one of the many forums on that website.

I meant the An Farm and Myrmecology Forum when I said Yuku.

Species I keep:

1 T. Sessile 200 workers

#58 Offline Diffeomorphismus - Posted August 17 2015 - 10:39 AM

Diffeomorphismus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationGermany

Best regards, 

We all know that Dr. Buschinger aims to get under people's skin at times, but let's ignore him and Teletotje for now, ok? This thread is too off task at times. It's about recognizing people that contribute to Ant Keeping, not about certain European Myrmecologists pissing people off. Let's get back on track.

You are right! 

• William. T likes this

#59 Offline William. T - Posted August 17 2015 - 4:12 PM

William. T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Added Antdude. Let's more suggestions and ideas, shall we?

Species I keep:

1 T. Sessile 200 workers

#60 Offline William. T - Posted August 20 2015 - 5:41 AM

William. T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Added William Wheeling with the suggestion of Kellak. Feel free to suggest more.

Species I keep:

1 T. Sessile 200 workers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users