• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Two queens found (I think) in Phoenix Arizona

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Herdo - Posted June 24 2015 - 7:34 PM

Herdo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationGlendale, Arizona

Hello again.  I've recently made a post here about the several dead Pheidole queens I've found in my pool every morning.  Well today I decided to go out towards the evening to see if I can't find a couple still alive.  I found four queens in my pool still alive, none of them are Pheidole.  :lol:   I managed to capture two, one of which is quite large.

I sanitized some test tubes with 91% rubbing alcohol by filling it about 3/4 and shaking it around for a bit.  I then rinsed with hot water and let them dry for a minute or two before dropping my queens in.  I snapped a few quick pictures and took a quick measurement before putting them in a completely unused room which receives very little light and we've blocked the A/C from the room as well so it's pretty warm.

I wanted to get them put away so I didn't get a very good look at them.  With that being said, I'm not really looking for an exact identification, I am just looking to confirm that they are in fact queens.

The smaller of the two measured around 5mm (possibly 6mm when stretched out) and the larger measured around 7mm (possibly 8mm when stretched out).

I witnessed the larger queen rubbing her gander briefly and I noticed the smaller queen tugging at her wings, although she could have just been cleaning them.

This is the smaller of the two:

Second picture of the smaller queen:

Third Picture of the smaller queen:

The larger queen was much harder to photograph.  She was much more restless and was dead set on remaining upside down so I had to continually turn the test tube while I tried to get my camera to focus.

The larger queen:

Second picture of the larger queen:

Third picture of the larger queen:

It's pretty obvious even in the pictures that the second queen is much larger.  Not a whole lot longer, but much girthier.

Freebie picture; nice sunset while I was outside looking for queens.  My camera doesn't do it justice, but there were some very distinct oranges, pinks and purples.  :)

Again, sorry for the lack of info.  I really just want to confirm that they are indeed queens.  I will check on them in a few days and I'll try to take a few more pictures.  

Thank you.

Edited by Herdo, June 24 2015 - 7:35 PM.

#2 Offline dspdrew - Posted June 24 2015 - 11:36 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I'm not even sure those are ants. Can you try taking a picture on top of something dark so they don't look like silhouettes? That's what happens when everything is bright except for the specimen. The camera tries to block out the light, leaving the specimen nothing more than a black silhouette.

#3 Offline drtrmiller - Posted June 25 2015 - 12:27 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

I think they're a type of bee.

Edited by drtrmiller, June 25 2015 - 12:31 AM.

• Gregory2455 likes this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#4 Offline Herdo - Posted June 25 2015 - 12:39 AM

Herdo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Sorry, all I have for photos is my phone.  It's one of the highest quality cameras you can get on a smartphone, but it doesn't take macro shots very well.  I just ordered a macro lens which should help me take clearer photos.

The glare from the test tube and the cotton are not helping.  I've tried to take some better photos using a black binder as a background as well as a manila envelope.

I'm not even sure those are ants. 

Haha, that is very possible.  

Here is an album of the smaller one:

http://imgur.com/a/8ALZe

I was having a really hard time getting any decent shots of the smaller one.

Here is an album of the larger one:

http://imgur.com/a/I2cJs

Hopefully those are clear enough to at least determine if they are actually ants.  :lol:

#5 Offline Herdo - Posted June 25 2015 - 12:47 AM

Herdo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

I think they're a type of bee.

Wow.  I feel like an idiot.

The heads are very bee/wasp looking.  I thought they may just be males because the males I've found have wasp like heads.

Also I think you two are right.  They look like small carpenter bees which we have all over the place.

See here: 

#6 Offline Ants4fun - Posted June 25 2015 - 6:13 AM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota
Yes, a good way to tell if it is a queen is to make sure that the antennae is elbowed.

#7 Offline Herdo - Posted June 25 2015 - 6:39 AM

Herdo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Yes, a good way to tell if it is a queen is to make sure that the antennae is elbowed.

As soon as dspdrew commented I looked at it and noticed the lack of joint in the antenna.  Thanks Ants4fun!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users