• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Disappearing Larvae: Cannibalism or otherwise?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Offline Trythis22 - Posted October 5 2018 - 9:01 PM

Trythis22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

I can understand that trophic eggs are hard to differentiate between fertilized eggs and may be consumed by the queen or brood. When larvae disappear, is it a case of cannibalism? I've been keeping strict head counts and the numbers do not add up. I am not overestimating brood count. The disappearing larvae is most evident early on, and it happens in every colony, from 5% to as much as 30% "death" rate of the larvae. Temperature is not a factor in these disappearances although they are less significant in the colonies kept at higher temperatures due to faster growth (400% higher performance). 

Is the whole "survival of the fittest" thing going on where the healthiest larvae are given special attention, even within the same colonies in captive conditions? Is it just larvae dying during their development then being fed to the living larvae afterwards? What is the reason that larvae, even pupae, sometimes disappear without a trace without increasing worker head count? 

• Major likes this

#2 Offline Major - Posted October 5 2018 - 10:01 PM

Major

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • LocationRochester, New York
Hello Trythis22,

This most likely is cannibalism. Your queen and colony may be stressed, or some other factor. Perhaps you are feeding them a lack of protein, to the point where they must revert to their primal ways and eat their sisters. I would not be very worried, this happens with colonies very often. I would assume streets is the key factor in this. Has there been temperature change, daily disturbance or vibration, lack of protein or sugar, airflow, or any other factor that would lead to stress? Try to be careful on how often they are exposed to light, sometimes even vibrations and movement can be stressful.

Me and a few others have learned that tropic eggs usually are larger, and do not have the extra layer, and are more exposed. It is difficult to describe, but I imagine with experience you may be able to compare and notice.

Colonies may be eating the larvae because they may have been unhealthy. There are so many factors to why the larvae were eaten. You may want to compare numbers with number of brood eaten at (x) temperature, or (z) times checked on. Make sure to have only one independent variable, with multiple subjects. I would be interested in seeing rates.

Good luck, and I hope your larvae will not be eaten.

Edited by Major, October 5 2018 - 10:02 PM.

• Trythis22 and DaveJay like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users