• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Can I take care of this fungi?

fungi

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Offline CamponotusLover - Posted September 13 2018 - 3:13 PM

CamponotusLover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey, USA
So, excuse me for not posting any pictures, but anyway, on the rails of our rotten staircase outside there is a troop of Dacryopinax spathularia (google pls no photos mobile device won't let me), also known as Buddhas delight in china because it is a jelly fungus and edible.

I have loved fungi since before I loved ants, but I never took care of any or grew any. I am desperate to know, if I sawed off the portion that grows this fungus every year, could I take care of it an how?

#2 Offline CampoKing - Posted September 15 2018 - 3:25 PM

CampoKing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • LocationColorado
Well it seems to be a generic jelly fungus that grows on rotting wood.
Also, since many many many fungi grow readily on coffee grounds, you can try that too.
I would setup a container with some breathing holes, as if you were housing a small animal, with moist coffee grounds, and experiment with what happens.
If coffee isn't agreeable to this fungus, then try wood in the same way.

Oh, and used coffee grounds are usually available from coffee shops for free. Starbucks is often very friendly about providing coffee grounds in bulk bags at no cost

Edited by CampoKing, September 15 2018 - 3:26 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fungi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users