• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Found three crematogaster queens. What do I do??

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline ANTdrew - Posted September 2 2018 - 11:52 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,411 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Hi!
I found three crematogaster queens today after big rains here in Northern Virginia. I was wondering what I should do with them beyond just putting them in TT set-ups. Should I hibernate them right away or wait a bit?
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#2 Offline CamponotusLover - Posted September 2 2018 - 12:05 PM

CamponotusLover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey, USA
It is not currently hibernating period, put them in test tubes is what I'd reccomend, idk about hibernating, up to you, she probably won't lay until next year though. Maybe offer a drop of honey

Edited by CamponotusLover, September 2 2018 - 12:06 PM.

• FeedTheAnts likes this

#3 Offline ANTdrew - Posted September 2 2018 - 4:05 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,411 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Thanks. I put the three queens up in TT set ups with a drop of honey on the cotton. Do I just wait till November to put them in diapause??
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#4 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted September 3 2018 - 12:57 AM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Yes, it would probably be the best option. Crematogaster queens only lay eggs after hibernation, and hibernating them early could disrupt their natural rhythms.

• noebl1 likes this

#5 Offline ANTdrew - Posted September 8 2018 - 10:57 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,411 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I checked on the three queens for the first time since I caught them, and they seem comfortable. I’m praying hard they’ll be successful! πŸ™πŸ»πŸ™πŸ»
  • DaveJay likes this

#6 Offline ANTdrew - Posted September 15 2018 - 5:09 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,411 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I randomly found a Camponotus novaboracensis queen today, so I put her up in a TT set up with the crematogaster queens. Happy to report that all three look healthy and happy. Still praying hard for them πŸ™πŸ»πŸ™πŸ».

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users