• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Cotton wool dam that moves vs one that doesn't, as the water empties

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline CoolColJ - Posted May 21 2018 - 1:42 AM

CoolColJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,646 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

I noticed that in some of my test tube setups, the cotton wool dam moves back as the water drains, and in others the cotton does not move, and you see the water area decrease in size as the water goes down.

So one has a vaccum of sorts I assume, and the other does not.

Why the difference?

The only thing different I did with the ones that do move back, was not to push the cotton dam all the way down to water level.

I left a few mm from top of cotton to water level.

But not all

I prefer that the cotton did not move, a lot easier to tell how much water is left.

And it also does not mess with some of my cotton wool chamber setups.

Nor cause light to enter test tubes that have red cellophane around them, when a gap is formed as the cotton moves back....

Plus in one test tube I stacked two cotton wool dams, but only the inner one moved as the water drained, leaving a gap between the two now!

I fear the outer one will dry out sooner or later :(

Edited by CoolColJ, May 21 2018 - 5:38 PM.

Current ant colonies -
1) Opisthopsis Rufithorax (strobe ant), Melophorus sp2. black and orange, Pheidole species, Pheidole antipodum
Journal = http://www.formicult...ra-iridomyrmex/

Heterotermes cf brevicatena termite pet/feeder journal = http://www.formicult...feeder-journal/

#2 Offline Shifty189 - Posted May 21 2018 - 5:29 PM

Shifty189

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida
I have far less experience with ant keeping in General, but I was also wondering about this.

It looks to me like the cotton will move if I quickly pushed it into the water, and was able to avoid making bubbles during set up. In other words if I set up the tube without bubbles that tube will tend to never get bubbles (cotton moves)

#3 Offline drtrmiller - Posted May 21 2018 - 5:44 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

You are correct that vacuum forces are responsible for this effect.  The strength of the vacuum is based upon how tightly the cotton is compressed when being inserted into the tube.  A looser cotton stuffing will allow air to enter and displace any liquid which has evaporated.  Therefore, if you don't want your cotton to move, compress the cotton slightly less tightly, so that small air bubbles are immediately observable as the water wicks into the cotton upon first setting it up.

A note of caution: do not allow the cotton to be too loose, or liquid may be more likely to drain out.  This all must be done by feel—it is a very difficult thing to measure or to precisely describe the execution. So just attempt it and make adjustments if the desired results are not observed.

Edited by drtrmiller, May 21 2018 - 5:51 PM.

• CoolColJ likes this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#4 Offline StayLoki - Posted May 21 2018 - 6:17 PM

StayLoki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
@CoolColJ
I noticed the same, and it certainly has to do with some sort of vacuum.
Unlike you, I prefer the water chamber moves down, allowing for more room and drying up which is helpful for getting them to move into new humid attached tube.

The difference has to do with soaking the cotton. If you plunge it down quickly and completely submerge it, it will not move.( I suggest you 'pour out' any excess water before adding your queen, and taking a dry qtip and wicking up any flooded water if you do it this way).

If you want the cotton plug to move, push it down quickly enough to touch the water miniscus, then slowly slowly push it down and stop when the water is just about to wick out.
  • CoolColJ likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users