• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Merging P. dentata founding colonies

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Offline SuperFrank - Posted September 12 2018 - 5:54 AM

SuperFrank

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationFlorida, USA
I have two Pheidole dentata colonies, one has two queens, the second of which was added after the first queen already had roughly 10 workers, as a test a put a single worker in with the lone queen, they immediately grouped up and began grooming each other and not trying to kill each other, and so I introduced them back into the tube with the colony. The merge was instantly successful and some workers immediately guided the new queen over to the first one. Seeing this success, I am wondering if it would be possible for me to merge this dual queen colony with another ~10 colony found dentata colony. Does anyone have experience with this? The only experience I have is introducing a lone cyphomyrmex worker to a small colony I have, that was successful but cyphos seem to be extremely "peaceful" ants.

#2 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted September 12 2018 - 8:21 AM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
I have done something similar with a two and three queen prenolepis imparis colony with no deaths.

Instagram          Journal           Shop

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users