• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Is it really optimal for nests to have less than 90% humidity?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline soulsynapse - Posted August 26 2018 - 1:32 PM

soulsynapse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
  • LocationSoCal

I feel like there's a fair bit of discrepancy in information regarding humidity and optimal nest values.

Test tubes (correct me if I'm wrong) are evaluated to be at 95% humidity at almost all times, but for some reason ant keepers assume certain species want less than that for their actual nests. Different species are able to thrive at different humidity levels according to what everybody says but almost all species found successfully in 95% humidity conditions. While, yes, this does suggest that founding conditions closest mimicking a recent rain is optimal, why are they less than optimal outside of flight conditions?

Anecdotal but I recently flooded my novomessor nest on accident and I was worried for the brood, the queen immediately laid a huge clutch of eggs within three days.

This post very clearly shows my lack of experience and testing with humidity, so please help me understand why people shoot for certain humidity ranges for different species.

• DaveJay likes this
Come join 3,400 other ant keepers on the Antkeeping Discord

14,000 messages a day

Friendly and helpful :D

#2 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted August 26 2018 - 3:02 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

It seems to me that a lot of the numbers are made-up. As long as they have access to a humid and dry place, backup test-tubes and foraging areas, a colony will manage moisture levels on its own. I've never seen a species turn down a nest that is "too humid" (and not flooded).

• gcsnelling and soulsynapse like this

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#3 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted August 26 2018 - 4:17 PM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

My Camponotus subbarbatus moved out of their nest after I watered it. Not sure if this counts for anything.

• soulsynapse likes this

#4 Offline CoolColJ - Posted August 28 2018 - 3:47 PM

CoolColJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,646 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia
My Camponotus consobrinus queen stays near the entrance cotton, this species like it really dry, they can nest in bubble wrap based on a video from someone else

Polyrhachis tend to nest in trees, so yeah they like it dry. When I put my P.femorata into a Minihearth the brood stayed in the corner opposite the water tower.
I recently read of someone seeing a Polyrhachis australis nest inside a plastic chair - pretty dry there :)

Edited by CoolColJ, September 13 2018 - 2:23 AM.

Current ant colonies -
1) Opisthopsis Rufithorax (strobe ant), Melophorus sp2. black and orange, Pheidole species, Pheidole antipodum
Journal = http://www.formicult...ra-iridomyrmex/

Heterotermes cf brevicatena termite pet/feeder journal = http://www.formicult...feeder-journal/

#5 Offline DaveJay - Posted September 12 2018 - 11:32 PM

DaveJay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia

My Camponotus subbarbatus moved out of their nest after I watered it. Not sure if this counts for anything.

Both of my Camponotus consobrinus queens moved out of their chambers after heavy watering, it takes weeks of drying before they move back in again, otherwise they sit out in the open with the larvae. The workers leave the eggs in the damp nests though.

I should mention that mine are in combined outworld and nest set ups with a coco peat/sand mix as substrate, similar to drews dirt box formicariums.

Edited by DaveJay, September 13 2018 - 12:14 AM.

#6 Offline GeorgeK - Posted September 13 2018 - 12:07 AM

GeorgeK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • LocationSiberia

My liometopums did not move from their test tube to formicarium for ~5 weeks after water ran out. They kept brood going as normal, just with no water in test tube..

• DaveJay likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users