• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Unidentified Crematogaster Queens w/ Workers

crematogaster acrobat ant valentine ant

Best Answer Ender Ants , March 18 2019 - 1:01 PM

Bump!

Checking back to this post, I realized that the photos are missing. Before they were there, but now they're gone. Not sure if anyone else can see the photos, or if its just me, but I'm going with C. Vermiculata, and C. cf. Coarctata

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Ender Ants - Posted September 8 2018 - 7:52 PM

Ender Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • LocationTrES-2b

Returning again to the Ant ID section of the forum for these two different species. After taking a closer look at these queens, I noticed that one was darker in color, and had slightly larger eyes than the other. My guesses for these two species would be: C. Vermiculata (Darker one), and C. Coarctata (Lighter one). I checked on the AntWiki on both those species, and it said that they were hard to differentiate, other than the worker's thoraxes. Nothing was said about differentiating between queens. 

(Same length for both species)

Queen Length: 9mm

Worker Length: 3-4mm 

Date: July 9 (Same date caught for both species)

Queen 1: Crematogaster cf. Vermiculata?

Coloration: Head, and thorax: Dark red. More on the brown side. Abdomen: Black. Legs: Dark Red. 

Worker Coloration: Head and Abdomen: Dark Black. Thorax: Light brown. Legs: Light to dark brown (top to bottom) Jaws: Light Brown

Queen: 

IMG_3813.jpg

Queen and Nanitics:

IMG_4499.jpg

IMG_4511.jpg

IMG_4514.jpg

IMG_4508.jpg

IMG_4509.jpg

IMG_4507.jpg

Current workers: 
IMG_4643.jpg

Queen 2: Crematogaster cf. Coarctata?
Coloration: Head: Light Red. Thorax: Dark Red. Abdomen: Dark Red/Black, with yellow lines when the gaster is enlarged. Legs: Light Red, almost orange
Worker Coloration: Head and Abdomen: Dark Black. Thorax, Legs, and Jaws: Light Brown (Lighter colored than other species)

Queen and Workers:
IMG_4649.jpg

IMG_4648.jpg

Queen:
IMG_4647.jpg

IMG_4646.jpg

IMG_4194.jpg

Queen + Nanitics:
IMG_4645.jpg

Queen and Worker:
IMG_4644.jpg

Of the few Crematogaster species that are found in Nevada, I'm almost entirely sure that these species are the correct ones, but I would like other's opinions as well. Thank you for reading this far.

Edited by Ender Ants, September 8 2018 - 7:53 PM.

• WeatherAnt and VoidElecent like this

#2 Offline WeatherAnt - Posted March 17 2019 - 5:19 PM

WeatherAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Bump!

• Martialis likes this

#3 Offline Ender Ants - Posted March 18 2019 - 1:01 PM   Best Answer

Ender Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • LocationTrES-2b

Bump!

Checking back to this post, I realized that the photos are missing. Before they were there, but now they're gone. Not sure if anyone else can see the photos, or if its just me, but I'm going with C. Vermiculata, and C. cf. Coarctata

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: crematogaster, acrobat ant, valentine ant

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users