• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Tube transfer question

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline ANTdrew - Posted September 8 2018 - 2:39 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Hi again-
I have a first year tetramorium colony in a test tube that’s in a foraging area. The exposed edge of the cotton has gotten black with mold and a little stopper I made with some cork and a straw even molded, too. I put a clean tube butting up to the old one and made a tighter opening for it by poking a hole in the plastic stopper it came with. Can I just leave them like this and trust they’ll move to the clean tube eventually, or should I fo more intrusive things to encourage them?
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#2 Offline Major - Posted September 8 2018 - 12:10 PM

Major

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • LocationRochester, New York
Now sit down and let me tell you the magical tale of- scotch tape.

'Twas once a young lad name Andrew. His colonys tube was suffering from a severe mold outbreak. Young Andrew didn't know what to do, so went to search the ancient archives of the legendary Formiculture. A brave and handsome man who went by Major came to his assistence. He told andrew a few great words, always to be remembered throughout the history of Formiculture. "Cork shall mold easily, my lad." He reached into his pockets and slowly revealed the golden fleece of anters, cotton. He handed it to young andrew to use as an entrance plug.

Young andrew was very grateful for the wise words of Major, but his question was not yet answered. Now, how to move them? Major would usually tell all the young ones to take their chances wrangling the "Holy Search Bar." But something told him andrew was a special one, one who would easily get lost in the archives.

Now, when Major himself was but just a wee lad, he would go on fantastic adventures. On one of them, he found something he never spoke of, and treasured with his life. Scotch tape. Andrew's eyes went wide with suprise, thou was giving me the fabled scotch?! Major instructed him on how he should use it. "Handle with care, the beast has a sharp edge that has drawn the blood of many heros, including myself. Cut a peice, and tape the old tube to the new one. Cover the new one with darkness, ants seemingly are enticed by it. Expose light over the old tube, the vile little creatures are repelled by it. Leave them be, till the ends of times.

In the end, they will move in.

Andrew was so grateful for the great Major's assistence, he begged to repay him. But the modest Major wouldn't take anything for his service- it was his duty to show the young ones the way of the Formiculture.

With a quick refresh if the page, Major dissapeared into the depths of the archives...

Edited by Major, September 8 2018 - 12:19 PM.

• Nare and Antcellent like this

#3 Offline ANTdrew - Posted September 8 2018 - 1:06 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Thanks, Major. Happy to report that they moved into the new tube of their own accord, no tape needed. I will avoid cork in the future.
  • Major likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users