• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

How do I move this colony to a fresh tube?

prenolepis imparis

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Offline CamponotusLover - Posted September 8 2018 - 12:01 PM

CamponotusLover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey, USA
Alright S0. I am experienced with how to move colonies from an old tube to a new tube, it is just that, they never do move.

In this case, my 4 Queen P. Imparis colony with a large amount of workers and repletes but still don't overly crowd the tube cause it is not a massive colony, won't move to a new tube.

Their current test tube, has little to no water, just a little bit at the bottom which I am assuming has never reached the surface of the cotton that is on the ants side. Most of the colony including the queens are on the cotton. It is also covered in black mold(the surface that they are on) but it hasn't killed them so that's the least of my worries for now.

I have tried everything. They have been connected to the new tube for 2-3 days, I have exposed the tube they are in to light, while letting the new tube covered, I also tried just making the whole room dark, I have tried every option I could think of, but they won't move.

This also begs other questions, related to their period of activity, since they are only active in the spring and fall/autumn, are they just not interested in moving right now? Should I wait?

Also another question, since these ants don't have to hibernate but I heard that they can, I can put them with the rest of my ants in the basement this winter correct and when should I hibernate them if so? December? Thanks.

#2 Offline Major - Posted September 8 2018 - 12:14 PM

Major

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • LocationRochester, New York
Heres a postI made on someone elses thread. :lol:

Now sit down and let me tell you the magical tale of- scotch tape.
'Twas once a young lad name Andrew. His colonys tube was suffering from a severe mold outbreak. Young Andrew didn't know what to do, so went to search the ancient archives of the legendary Formiculture. A brave and handsome man who went by Major came to his assistence. He told andrew a few great words, always to be remembered throughout the history of Formiculture. "Cork shall mold easily, my lad." He reached into his pockets and slowly revealed the golden fleece of anters, cotton. He handed it to young andrew to use as an entrance plug.
Young andrew was very grateful for the wise words of Major, but his question was not yet answered. Now, how to move them? Major would usually tell all the young ones to take their chances wrangling the "Holy Search Bar." But something told him andrew was a special one, one who would easily get lost in the archives.
Now, when Major himself was but just a wee lad, he would go on fantastic adventures. On one of them, he found something he never spoke of, and treasured with his life. Scotch tape. Andrew's eyes went wide with suprise, thou was giving me the fabled scotch?! Major instructed him on how he should use it. "Handle with care, the beast has a sharp edge that has drawn the blood of many heros, including myself. Cut a peice, and tale the old tube to the new one. Cover the new one with darkness, ants seemingly are enticed by it. Expose light over the old tube, the vile little creatures are repelled by it. Leave them be, till the ends of times.
In the end, they will move in.
Andrew was so grateful for the great Major's assistence, he begged to repay him. But the modest Major wouldn't take anything for his service- it was his duty to show the young ones the way of the Formiculture.
With a quick refresh if the page, Major dissapeared into the depths of the archives...

• Spamdy and DaveJay like this

#3 Offline CamponotusLover - Posted September 8 2018 - 12:34 PM

CamponotusLover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

'Twas once a young lad name Andrew. His colonys tube was suffering from a severe mold outbreak. Young Andrew didn't know what to do, so went to search the ancient archives of the legendary Formiculture. A brave and handsome man who went by Major came to his assistence. He told andrew a few great words, always to be remembered throughout the history of Formiculture. "Cork shall mold easily, my lad." He reached into his pockets and slowly revealed the golden fleece of anters, cotton. He handed it to young andrew to use as an entrance plug.
Young andrew was very grateful for the wise words of Major, but his question was not yet answered. Now, how to move them? Major would usually tell all the young ones to take their chances wrangling the "Holy Search Bar." But something told him andrew was a special one, one who would easily get lost in the archives.
Now, when Major himself was but just a wee lad, he would go on fantastic adventures. On one of them, he found something he never spoke of, and treasured with his life. Scotch tape. Andrew's eyes went wide with suprise, thou was giving me the fabled scotch?! Major instructed him on how he should use it. "Handle with care, the beast has a sharp edge that has drawn the blood of many heros, including myself. Cut a peice, and tale the old tube to the new one. Cover the new one with darkness, ants seemingly are enticed by it. Expose light over the old tube, the vile little creatures are repelled by it. Leave them be, till the ends of times.
Andrew was so grateful for the great Major's assistence, he begged to repay him. But the modest Major wouldn't take anything for his service- it was his duty to show the young ones the way of the Formiculture.
With a quick refresh if the page, Major dissapeared into the depths of the archives...

Yeah.. I appreciate the help but I'm going to assume you didn't read my post. I already tried this.

#4 Offline ANTdrew - Posted September 8 2018 - 5:47 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Major’s got all the answers.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#5 Offline DaveJay - Posted September 8 2018 - 7:15 PM

DaveJay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia

Ha, love it mate! Nice one :)

#6 Offline DaveJay - Posted September 8 2018 - 7:15 PM

DaveJay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts
Wow! Triple quote, that's a new record!

Edited by DaveJay, September 8 2018 - 7:17 PM.

#7 Offline DaveJay - Posted September 8 2018 - 7:20 PM

DaveJay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Alright S0. I am experienced with how to move colonies from an old tube to a new tube, it is just that, they never do move.

In this case, my 4 Queen P. Imparis colony with a large amount of workers and repletes but still don't overly crowd the tube cause it is not a massive colony, won't move to a new tube.

Their current test tube, has little to no water, just a little bit at the bottom which I am assuming has never reached the surface of the cotton that is on the ants side. Most of the colony including the queens are on the cotton. It is also covered in black mold(the surface that they are on) but it hasn't killed them so that's the least of my worries for now.

I have tried everything. They have been connected to the new tube for 2-3 days, I have exposed the tube they are in to light, while letting the new tube covered, I also tried just making the whole room dark, I have tried every option I could think of, but they won't move.

This also begs other questions, related to their period of activity, since they are only active in the spring and fall/autumn, are they just not interested in moving right now? Should I wait?

Also another question, since these ants don't have to hibernate but I heard that they can, I can put them with the rest of my ants in the basement this winter correct and when should I hibernate them if so? December? Thanks.

Have you tried adding heat to the equation? I think that's about all you could do that you haven't done.

#8 Offline CamponotusLover - Posted September 8 2018 - 7:30 PM

CamponotusLover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Have you tried adding heat to the equation? I think that's about all you could do that you haven't done.

I have tried that. I guess this means I should just wait till it gets colder and P. Imparis get more active. It seems nothing will get them to move as of now while they behave lazy.

#9 Offline DaveJay - Posted September 8 2018 - 7:58 PM

DaveJay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts
Something that crossed my mind in regards to moving some I have is to make a hole at the water end of the tube and gently push the cotton from behind forcing them to move. You could do that with two joined tubes, the dirty cotton becoming the plug for the new tube. Once you're sure there's no brood on the cotton it could be replaced. It would only work with plastic tubes but it could be done imo.
  • CamponotusLover likes this

#10 Offline nurbs - Posted September 8 2018 - 9:04 PM

nurbs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Amateurs!

Just kidding. Don't do that with your P. imparis.

• CamponotusLover, StopSpazzing, Trythis22 and 1 other like this

Instagram:
nurbsants

YouTube

California Ants for Sale

Unidentified Myrmecocystus

https://www.formicul...ls-near-desert/

Undescribed "Modoc"

https://www.formicul...mp-ca-5-4-2017/

Camponotus or Colobopsis yogi:

https://www.formicul...a-ca-1-28-2018/

Camponotus us-ca02
https://www.formicul...onotus-us-ca02/

Unidentified Formica

https://www.formicul...l-ca-6-27-2020/

Pencil Case and Test Tube Formicariums
https://www.formicul...m-and-outworld/

Bloodworm Soup
https://www.formicul...bloodworm-soup/

#11 Offline CamponotusLover - Posted September 8 2018 - 9:23 PM

CamponotusLover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Something that crossed my mind in regards to moving some I have is to make a hole at the water end of the tube and gently push the cotton from behind forcing them to move. You could do that with two joined tubes, the dirty cotton becoming the plug for the new tube. Once you're sure there's no brood on the cotton it could be replaced. It would only work with plastic tubes but it could be done imo.

Genius! I'll give it a try tommorow, thanks.

#12 Offline CamponotusLover - Posted September 8 2018 - 9:25 PM

CamponotusLover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Amateurs!

LOL WTF

#13 Offline Major - Posted September 9 2018 - 7:50 AM

Major

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • LocationRochester, New York
This is a last resort that must be dealt with care; cold. Put a little ice on their tube, not too long. If they are really stubborn they might just freeze, so be careful.

#14 Offline StopSpazzing - Posted September 9 2018 - 9:53 AM

StopSpazzing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • LocationFullerton, CA

Amateurs!

LOL WTF

This is the certified Nurbs way of moving your colony.  :lol:

They will move once no water is left. Wait till then.

• CamponotusLover likes this
> Ant Keeping Wiki is back up! Currently being migrated from old wiki. :)Looking to adopt out: Crematogaster sp. (Acrobat Ants) colonies

#15 Offline CamponotusLover - Posted September 9 2018 - 10:29 AM

CamponotusLover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

This is a last resort that must be dealt with care; cold. Put a little ice on their tube, not too long. If they are really stubborn they might just freeze, so be careful.

will keep this in mind!

Amateurs!

LOL WTF
This is the certified Nurbs way of moving your colony.  :lol:

They will move once no water is left. Wait till then.

There is like no water reaching them, idk..

#16 Offline Ikerrilove - Posted September 9 2018 - 10:30 AM

Ikerrilove

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationEastern Ontario, Canada

While I don't have the experience or the eloquence of others here, I do remember reading something this year that stuck with me. Regarding moldy test tubes and stubborn ants... trust your ants. They should know when the level is to toxic or if the mold is too dangerous, they're pretty good at survival. 

I decided to put my test tubes in small outworlds so I can leave two tubes in it and not fuss with trying to feed in the tubes. I let them decide what to do and and so far the one queen I thought was dead at this stage surprised me with a rebirth. Another thing I remembered learning early on is that sometimes a dead ant... isn't a dead ant, so don't toss them right away LOL

Would be nice if I could move them all to nice fresh test tubes before hibernation but you just can't control something that small, especially being a newbie myself, I'd be afraid of doing more harm then good. So far it's working for me :)

• ANTdrew likes this

#17 Offline StopSpazzing - Posted September 9 2018 - 11:03 AM

StopSpazzing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • LocationFullerton, CA

Yeah, agreed with above. Almost no water isn't the same as no water. They WILL move when they need to.

> Ant Keeping Wiki is back up! Currently being migrated from old wiki. :)Looking to adopt out: Crematogaster sp. (Acrobat Ants) colonies

#18 Offline CampoKing - Posted September 12 2018 - 12:12 AM

CampoKing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • LocationColorado

oh my so there's so much nesting of comments in this thread I half expect it be in Russian (nesting doll joke........will show myself out now)

#19 Offline DaveJay - Posted September 12 2018 - 1:08 AM

DaveJay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts
The bears of Russia are only long in the tooth. ;)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: prenolepis imparis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users