• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Making loam

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline SheepForgeBoi - Posted September 10 2018 - 9:55 AM

SheepForgeBoi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Hey guys how do I make loam. My understanding is that it is made out of soil and clay but where do I get the clay from? Should I buy it or just dig it up? Any home recipes for making good loam?

Thanks

#2 Offline Major - Posted September 10 2018 - 10:43 AM

Major

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • LocationRochester, New York
You can buy clay from most arts and craft stores, like Michael's.

#3 Offline SheepForgeBoi - Posted September 10 2018 - 11:10 AM

SheepForgeBoi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

I assume you mean like wet clay? How would I break this down into a dust to make loam though?

#4 Offline Barristan - Posted September 10 2018 - 12:19 PM

Barristan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • LocationBindlach, Bavaria, Germany

You can buy dry clay powder. Just mix that with dry sand. (3:1 sand:clay ratio, if you want a soil which doesn't collapse that easily).

Loam is a mixture of sand, clay and slit. Clay is extracted from loam soil.

#5 Offline SheepForgeBoi - Posted September 11 2018 - 4:33 AM

SheepForgeBoi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

You can buy dry clay powder. Just mix that with dry sand. (3:1 sand:clay ratio, if you want a soil which doesn't collapse that easily).

Loam is a mixture of sand, clay and slit. Clay is extracted from loam soil.

Do you have any care instructions for a loam nest? How often it needs water and such?

#6 Offline DaveJay - Posted September 11 2018 - 7:14 AM

DaveJay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia
Hi, you're being a bit too vague I think, pictures or at least a description of the type of nest you have or are thinking of would be helpful. How often to add water will depend on several factors, how much substrate is involved, how much is subject to evaporation, ventilation, ambient humidity in the room and which species you have will all affect a care routine.
For any of the creatures I keep I use a mix of coco/coir peat and sand as substrate, varying the mix depending on the natural habitat of the animal.
Water added can vary from a weekly spray to adding 50ml every few months, it's hard to advise on what your routine should be without knowing the situation. In most cases spraying or adding water to one corner or end weekly is enough but the amount needed will vary. Adding water to one corner or end only will give you a range of moisture levels given adequate ventilation.
If you provide more details I'm sure you'll get more helpful answers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users