• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

My Aphaenogaster fulva Colony Killed the Queen!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted October 24 2018 - 3:34 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationProsperity, South Carolina

I recently found a young colony of Aphaenogaster fulva and put them in a small container that contained pins. I've been checking on hem, and they've been doing good, they're even eating okay. But, this morning I woke up to a bit of a problem, they disembodied the queen! They ripped off all of her legs except for one and I think hey are trying to eat her now! Why did they do this? Is it possible that they have a reproductive gamergate and they overthrew the queen because she was too much work, or were they just too stressed?

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#2 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted October 24 2018 - 3:47 AM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Aphaenogaster does not have gamergates. It could also be that the queen died of natural causes, and they decided not to let it go to waste.

#3 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted October 24 2018 - 3:58 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Okay. I've heard on the forum that several people have owned queen-less ant colonies that are not known to have gamergates  which have produced workers instead of males, so I think I'm going to test my luck, the only problem is, they are about to go into hibernation so they might die before they lay any eggs. I'll just have to wait and see. 

• Mettcollsuss likes this

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#4 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted October 24 2018 - 12:31 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

I think that the workers are going into hibernation as they are all bunched up next to their water source and they are barely moving. There is also very little foraging. I am going to put them in my crawl-space and see how they do.

• DaveJay likes this

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users