• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Anting in the Harbison State Forest

anting harbison state forest

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted August 28 2018 - 3:06 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationProsperity, South Carolina

Hey guys! I'm hoping to encounter Trachymyrmex septentrionalis, so for that I'm heading to the Harbison State Forest.I've been there several times, and last time I found only one ant to add to my collection, a Camponotus castaneus minor worker. his was probably due to the fact that I was hiking with my grandfather and we only stopped twice. This time I go, I'm hoping to come across some pine barrens where I may encounter Trachymyrmex septentrionalis. I want to get a colony of these to have alongside my Crematogaster pilosa queen. I've found a related species at SeaWorld San Antonio, quite a few Cyphomyrmex rimosus. I've heard that they live in South Carolina, but It's probably much more of a coastal species, and also Harbison is full of pine forests while Cyphomyrmex rimosus is more commonly found in deciduous woodlands. I'm also hoping to come across Camponotus americanus or even Pogonomyrmex badius. As far as tools go, I will be bringing my aspirator, shovel, hammer to look through dead wood, container to collect ant colonies in, and forceps. Let me know if you guys have any experience with the Harbison State Forest. Thanks and I hope I find something cool!

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: anting, harbison state forest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users