• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

South Texas Queen Identification

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Adrielm - Posted August 22 2018 - 2:00 PM

Adrielm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

http://www.formicult...2-unidentified/ 

I captured this queen about 1.5 - 2 months ago. It greatly resembles a Pogonomyrmex but it is just dark brown. It is slightly smaller than the neighboring Pogonomyrmex queens in the photo. It currently only has one larva which worries me since it has had that one larva for a while. I was hoping that it would hatch some workers so I could more easily identify it, but no luck.

#2 Offline EthanNgo678 - Posted August 22 2018 - 2:04 PM

EthanNgo678

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • LocationMarin, Ca

Pogonomyrmex rugosus best guess, try giving her a bit of honey and a spider.

Plants r cool

#3 Offline Adrielm - Posted August 22 2018 - 2:19 PM

Adrielm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Looks about right. Thank you very much!

#4 Offline Zeiss - Posted August 22 2018 - 3:02 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

No, do not give her honey.  Pogonomyrmex sp. do not need any honey in their diets.  Pogonomyrmex rugosus is also fully claustral, so just put her in a tube and leave her be.  Or another type of founding formicarium you can plug up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users