• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Praying Mantis

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Major - Posted September 21 2018 - 11:42 AM

Major

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • LocationRochester, New York
Hello all!

I have recently discovered that I have an interested in keeping praying mantis after I saw one molding. I told my family about it, and they said that when I was young- about 8 or so. I loved to find mantises and just stare at them. Turns out the same for ants. Guess what you've once liked stayes with you. :lol:

Anyways, enough of my yammering. I have a few questions. For starters, could anyone give me any reliable websites where I could buy some Mantises from? I also know almost nothing on there care, other than food, setup, and breeding. Which now that I think about covers most of what I need. But any advice is appreciated. I mostly just need to know what websites are the most reliable and have the largest selection.

Thanks
-Major
  • DaveJay likes this

#2 Offline PaxxMantid - Posted September 21 2018 - 1:37 PM

PaxxMantid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationPetamluma, CA

It really depends on what you are looking for. There are a few well known sites like usmantis, panterra pets, bugs in cyberspace that have good reputations. There is also a healthy trade in the community, much like this one. my advice would be to choose a species first that you want to start with, then decide if you want to start from an ooth or from nymps (or even an adult) then plan from there.

• TennesseeAnts and DaveJay like this

#3 Offline Major - Posted September 22 2018 - 12:45 PM

Major

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts

It really depends on what you are looking for. There are a few well known sites like usmantis, panterra pets, bugs in cyberspace that have good reputations. There is also a healthy trade in the community, much like this one. my advice would be to choose a species first that you want to start with, then decide if you want to start from an ooth or from nymps (or even an adult) then plan from there.

Is there a Formiclture for Mantis? Could you give me a link?

#4 Offline PaxxMantid - Posted September 22 2018 - 12:52 PM

PaxxMantid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationPetamluma, CA
Join the Facebook group 'Mantis Keepers', great and very active group.

#5 Offline Major - Posted September 22 2018 - 1:20 PM

Major

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Join the Facebook group 'Mantis Keepers', great and very active group.

I prefer to, stay away from Facebook for various reasons. Any other ones?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users