• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

2x Nova Scotia 14-08-2018 Videos Attached (sound warning)

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Offline Jarvis - Posted August 14 2018 - 8:39 AM

Jarvis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Noise waring on the videos, fan and camera are loud! 

Video #58  -  https://drive.google...6-eneeMdXqUB2o 

1. Location of collection: At a zoo in the countryside.

2. Date of collection: Aug 6th
3. Habitat of collection: Harder earth, more of a dusty and wooded area.

4. Length: about 13mm, (hard to use a ruler on a curved surface)
5. Coloration, hue, pattern and texture: Her body is quite smooth and I don't see any real parts where she changes hue besides the stripes.

6. Distinguishing characteristics: Large mandibles

7. Anything else distinctive: Quite defensive and aggressive, I was giving her a drop of honey and she latched onto the tooth pick before realizing what was on it and then let me put it on the side for her.

Video #59  -  https://drive.google...iLjlh5szGzb7KRJ

1. Location of collection: Digging a hole in average packed but still light dirt.

2. Date of collection:  Aug 2nd
3. Habitat of collection: Low grassy area near the side of the highway, lots of other colonies in the area
4. Length: 9mm
5. Coloration, hue, pattern and texture: Can't really see it in the video but the ends of her legs are lighter color like the stripes on her abdomen.
6. Distinguishing characteristics: Sharp angular mandibles
7. Anything else distinctive: Pardon the pun but very antsy, she's restless even when standing over the brood, I've offered water and honey but she wanted neither. (probably enjoyed them later)

Edited by Jarvis, August 14 2018 - 8:40 AM.

#2 Offline rbarreto - Posted August 14 2018 - 9:27 AM

rbarreto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationOttawa, On

1. Formica sp., possibly Formica subsericea.

2. Going to go with Lasius americanus.

My journal featuring most of my ants.

My other journal featuring Formica Bradleyi.

Check our my store here!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users