• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

How long do you keep a queen in a test tube setup?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline disasterants - Posted August 8 2018 - 8:44 AM

disasterants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationNew York
Now, I've got a camponotus noveboracensis queen who recently had workers and I am not sure how long I should wait before moving them out of their test tube setup. She has been in there for a few months and I want to move her out but don't have a test tube to do so with; I could make one out of some PVC pipe I have lying around but it seems a bit big for the ants... there is only slight mold growth in their tube so should I move them out or should I wait until I go back to school and can get a proper test tube for her?

#2 Offline rbarreto - Posted August 8 2018 - 8:47 AM

rbarreto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationOttawa, On

If the water starts changing colors, if there is no water left in the tube, if the mold becomes too intense, if you are having trouble feeding and cleaning up after them without escapees, or if you have a better set up.

My journal featuring most of my ants.

My other journal featuring Formica Bradleyi.

Check our my store here!

#3 Offline sirjordanncurtis - Posted August 8 2018 - 9:54 AM

sirjordanncurtis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts
  • LocationPalo Alto, California

The ants probably will not be as bothered with the mold unless it completely covers the cotton. I would wait until the water runs out before changing setups, as this also gives her time until the colony can easily move out themselves, and when you have more workers.

#4 Offline Major - Posted August 8 2018 - 10:22 AM

Major

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • LocationRochester, New York
You probably shouldn't move them out until;

A.The water runs out.
B.The mold growth becomes too extensive and covers the cotton.
C.The ants seem to be negatively affected and you have worker die offs.
D.The test tube becomes so filthy that the ants become difficult to view.
E.The water changes color.

#5 Offline CoolColJ - Posted August 8 2018 - 2:01 PM

CoolColJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,646 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Move them out whenever you feel like it IMO

Also test tubes are cheap man, go get some!

Current ant colonies -
1) Opisthopsis Rufithorax (strobe ant), Melophorus sp2. black and orange, Pheidole species, Pheidole antipodum
Journal = http://www.formicult...ra-iridomyrmex/

Heterotermes cf brevicatena termite pet/feeder journal = http://www.formicult...feeder-journal/

#6 Offline fleetingyouth - Posted August 8 2018 - 7:31 PM

fleetingyouth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationQuincy, MA

I wondered this too. I've moved a couple because of no water but I have at least one that is getting moldy and I didn't know when it was too much. 

Also how long after feeding do you clean up?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users