• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Merging Colonies

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Jadeninja9 - Posted July 30 2018 - 6:44 PM

Jadeninja9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco Bay Area, CA
Earlier today I combined three Lasius aliens colonies. They got along perfectly except for one rogue worker who started to spray formic acid on another worker. I noticed that these large drops of brown/orange liquid would randomly start to form where the merged colony was congregated. Does anyone know what that could be?
  • Ant Broski likes this

#2 Offline CoolColJ - Posted July 30 2018 - 7:25 PM

CoolColJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,646 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia
maybe poop

Current ant colonies -
1) Opisthopsis Rufithorax (strobe ant), Melophorus sp2. black and orange, Pheidole species, Pheidole antipodum
Journal = http://www.formicult...ra-iridomyrmex/

Heterotermes cf brevicatena termite pet/feeder journal = http://www.formicult...feeder-journal/

#3 Offline Jadeninja9 - Posted July 30 2018 - 8:40 PM

Jadeninja9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts
I don’t believe so as they were very large drops and were being made very frequently. It’s like once I cleaned it up they would just make more.

#4 Offline CoolColJ - Posted July 30 2018 - 8:53 PM

CoolColJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,646 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia
Maybe excess shared food being spilled from their social stomachs :)

Current ant colonies -
1) Opisthopsis Rufithorax (strobe ant), Melophorus sp2. black and orange, Pheidole species, Pheidole antipodum
Journal = http://www.formicult...ra-iridomyrmex/

Heterotermes cf brevicatena termite pet/feeder journal = http://www.formicult...feeder-journal/

#5 Offline venator - Posted July 30 2018 - 9:01 PM

venator

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationMars

I noticed the same thing when I brood boosted one of my Oecophylla colonies (there was a few workers with the brood). Oecophylla is also a formic acid spraying species. There were brown spots all over the tank lol.

#6 Offline EthanNgo678 - Posted July 31 2018 - 5:54 AM

EthanNgo678

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • LocationMarin, Ca

Hope it works out. One of the queens in me and my sister colony died, but the other queen didn't do it. 

Plants r cool

#7 Offline Jadeninja9 - Posted July 31 2018 - 10:00 AM

Jadeninja9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Hope it works out. One of the queens in me and my sister colony died, but the other queen didn't do it.

Wait are you serious? Sorry that the queen died. I really hope this doesn’t happen to the queens I combined lol.

Edited by Jadeninja9, July 31 2018 - 10:02 AM.

#8 Offline Jadeninja9 - Posted July 31 2018 - 10:02 AM

Jadeninja9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts

I noticed the same thing when I brood boosted one of my Oecophylla colonies (there was a few workers with the brood). Oecophylla is also a formic acid spraying species. There were brown spots all over the tank lol.

Do you think maybe they could be trying to cover the brood in their pheromones and that’s what the brown spots are?

#9 Offline Major - Posted July 31 2018 - 1:14 PM

Major

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • LocationRochester, New York

Do you think maybe they could be trying to cover the brood in their pheromones and that’s what the brown spots are?

I do believe that you cannot see pheromones. Are they dragging excess food into the nest? Could this be related to them spraying formic acid? Watch them closely and see how these "mystery drops" are formed. This is quite interesting as I have never seen or experienced this before, even with formic acid spraying species. Hmm...

#10 Offline Jadeninja9 - Posted July 31 2018 - 2:17 PM

Jadeninja9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts
I’m not home right now. All of their gasters were already full, so they weren’t accepting any food I had been giving them recently. I believe that these drops were being formed by the queens since they were so large. The workers and queens weren’t aggressive at all, and were actually pretty calm, yet somehow these large, singular brown droplets were forming in the test tube randomly.

#11 Offline Jadeninja9 - Posted July 31 2018 - 2:22 PM

Jadeninja9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Did this happen for you too?

#12 Offline Jadeninja9 - Posted August 6 2018 - 12:24 AM

Jadeninja9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts
Well whatever that liquid was it didn’t seem to harm the ants as the colony is perfect right now, and even discovered another single queen colony I attached to their test tube portal and merged with them, forming a 4 queen colony.

Edited by Jadeninja9, August 6 2018 - 12:25 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users