• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Where to buy AAC, Ytong, etc?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline WeatherAnt - Posted August 3 2018 - 6:13 PM

WeatherAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Hello all, 

I'm toying with the idea of constructing my own formicarium and I'd like to use Autoclaved Aerated Concrete / Ytong. I've read that it's hard to obtain in the US and I'd like to know where I can find this stuff. And if it's not available here I'd like to get recommendations on similar materials that I can use (hydrostone?). 

Thanks in advance! 

WeatherAnt 

#2 Offline Major - Posted August 3 2018 - 6:36 PM

Major

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • LocationRochester, New York
Grout and Firebrick are good materials and are easy to access. Check out some of Crystals tutorials on them.

#3 Offline WeatherAnt - Posted August 5 2018 - 5:46 PM

WeatherAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Grout and Firebrick are good materials and are easy to access. Check out some of Crystals tutorials on them.

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll look into it! 

#4 Offline Ants4fun - Posted February 26 2019 - 5:50 AM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota
You can get Ytong in US from http://www.aerconaac.com/index.html
Just email them how much you want.

#5 Offline Rstheant - Posted February 26 2019 - 7:04 PM

Rstheant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

You can get Ytong in US from http://www.aerconaac.com/index.htmlJust email them how much you want.

That might come in huge quantities. Unless you have lots of ideas for formicariums, I advise you to take small pieces or maybe get a large block and sell pieces of it. My mom gave me this habit of minimizing my stuff. Again, if you live in a mansion, and don’t need to worry about space get large blocks.

Follow up: is this AAC safe for ants? It comes from a construction store so it may have chemicals and pesticides. Somebody’s correct me if I’m wrong.

#6 Offline Ants4fun - Posted February 26 2019 - 7:12 PM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

You can get Ytong in US from http://www.aerconaac.com/index.htmlJust email them how much you want.

That might come in huge quantities. Unless you have lots of ideas for formicariums, I advise you to take small pieces or maybe get a large block and sell pieces of it. My mom gave me this habit of minimizing my stuff. Again, if you live in a mansion, and don’t need to worry about space get large blocks.
Follow up: is this AAC safe for ants? It comes from a construction store so it may have chemicals and pesticides. Somebody’s correct me if I’m wrong.
AAC is completely safe for ants, and has been used for ant keeping in Europe for decades. This seems to be one of the only supplier of AAC in the US, so to answer the original question, this is where to buy it. Some people might not mind buying bulk.

Edited by Ants4fun, February 26 2019 - 7:54 PM.

• Rstheant likes this

#7 Offline Rstheant - Posted February 26 2019 - 7:18 PM

Rstheant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Ok, thanks for the clarification.

#8 Offline StopSpazzing - Posted February 26 2019 - 8:09 PM

StopSpazzing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • LocationFullerton, CA

https://www.antkeepi...lding_Materials

> Ant Keeping Wiki is back up! Currently being migrated from old wiki. :)Looking to adopt out: Crematogaster sp. (Acrobat Ants) colonies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users