• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Leo's multispecies colony attempt (this is an ATTEMPT)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Leo - Posted August 25 2018 - 1:11 AM

Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,513 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

7/25/18

Had waaay too many camponotus nicobarensis and pseudoirritans so I did an experiment. I placed a camponotus nicobarensis(with brood) into the fridge and a small colony (5 workers) of camponotus pseudoirritans into the fridge aswell, then when I decided they were mellow, I poured them into the same tube. I am not sure if it was my body heat or whatever, because as soon as the ants connected, they started fighting. I stuck them back into the freezer and waited a while. After a minute or so I placed them in the fridge. Where the two queens woke again and began slo-mo fighting. I noticed that the nicobarensis queen actually lost a leg  :/ . But soon they slowed down when the workers came to. At first there was some tugging and snapping of mandibles but they have calmed down and both queens are now sitting on the same brood pile. occasionally when a pseudoirritans worker gets too close to the nicobarensis queen, she lets her know with a snap of her mandibles. She has calmed as well now. We'll see how this goes.

Edited by Leo, August 25 2018 - 5:22 AM.

• AntsAreUs likes this

#2 Offline Antking117 - Posted August 25 2018 - 2:10 AM

Antking117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • LocationOmaha, Nebraska, USA

I kind of want to see a video of this all happening. Sounds cool, keep us posted.

#3 Offline Leo - Posted August 25 2018 - 5:23 AM

Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,513 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

8/25/18

4 eggs, not sure if they were laid before the experiment though.

#4 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted August 25 2018 - 3:05 PM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

Quite interesting. I kind of want to test this with some ants of my own.

#5 Offline Superant33 - Posted August 25 2018 - 6:07 PM

Superant33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
I don’t think this will end well

#6 Offline Leo - Posted August 25 2018 - 6:15 PM

Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,513 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

I don’t think this will end well

might as well give it a try...

#7 Offline sirjordanncurtis - Posted August 26 2018 - 6:42 AM

sirjordanncurtis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts
  • LocationPalo Alto, California

I read something about a bunch of queens of different species living in different parts of bamboo chambers, and some of them forming "alliances"

As long as you don't give the colony room for conflict (lack of resource, space, etc.), I think they'll be fine.

#8 Offline anttics - Posted August 27 2018 - 7:52 AM

anttics

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts
Interesting. I have a few camponotus colonies. As well. Keep us post it. On the progress

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users