• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Straywolf94's Linepithema humile concentration camp

argentine linepithema humile

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Straywolf94 - Posted June 16 2018 - 7:26 PM

Straywolf94

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

My kitchen was getting overrun with argentines, so I decided to hunt down their nest.  Tracked their trails to a crack between the fence and dirt in my backyard.  So I used a water hose and flooded them out.  After 10 minutes, the ants were taking their brood up the fence, and a few queens followed.  I nabbed 4-5 queens into a test tube, and a bunch of the ants.  Then throughly sprayed the fence and trails with Raid, and poured boiling water down the nest.  Hope that will keep their numbers down temporarily.

I took the queens and popped them into a quickly made hydrostone outworld in a madeline container and dumped all the captive ants in there as well.   I contained them with a moat of water since they were crawling up baby powder barrier with ease.

After 1 day, over 75% of them had fell into the soapy water moat.  The few that are left huddle between the rocks, or are pretty inactive inside the test tube.

It seems they do need a lot of area for foraging and trails.  I've left sugar water, honey, jam, crackers, chicken in the outworld - all things they normally swarm over in the kitchen, but in captivity, they seem uninterested.

Let's see how they do over next few weeks.  There is a small egg bundle laid by the queens in the tube but I don't know if they are being fed well enough to sustain.

D2ZJgqY.jpg

IuzLWvr.jpg

2o3F7l5.jpg

Edited by Straywolf94, June 16 2018 - 7:59 PM.

• Mettcollsuss likes this

#2 Offline Derpy - Posted June 16 2018 - 7:50 PM

Derpy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts
  • LocationSan Jose CA
I wouldn’t keep this species if I were you. Keep in mind these are the same ruthless killers, that have killed many of people’s colonies over years.

-1x Parasitic Formica Sp. Colony

-1x Pogonomymrex Californicus Colony

-1x Camponotus Hyatti Colony

#3 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted June 16 2018 - 9:22 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

I wouldn’t keep this species if I were you. Keep in mind these are the same ruthless killers, that have killed many of people’s colonies over years.

If he is going to make this a concentration camp, why not :lol:. If you want to give your utmost care to this colony, don't do it, and follow Derpy's advice. If you want to make it a hellhole for them, by all means, do it! I would poison them with borax for 24 hours, then release them into the wild to infect more. Rinse and repeat.
  • Mettcollsuss likes this

Instagram          Journal           Shop

#4 Offline Straywolf94 - Posted June 16 2018 - 9:45 PM

Straywolf94

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
I check on them every hour with a ultra bright flashlight, keeps me from checking and disturbing my other queens too often. I put them into the outword 15 mins after casting it, so no, don't really care too much for them. There were a few sunk into the halfway into the hydrostone lol.

I expect they won't last too long, but was curious.

Edited by Straywolf94, June 16 2018 - 9:48 PM.

#5 Offline ponerinecat - Posted May 18 2019 - 4:44 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

This is actually really effective for controlling populations. done this for the past few years and local ants are rehabilitating, with pheidole coming back. Even have a crematogaster colony here! less and less argentines.

#6 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted May 18 2019 - 5:03 PM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
  • LocationJasper, Indiana
Omg, this is hilarious, XD, this is what happens when you start invading what isn’t your’s.

Spoiler

#7 Offline FSTP - Posted May 18 2019 - 5:16 PM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

Next thing you know they're going to start thier own baseball team and start having weekend theater plays.

Edited by FSTP, May 18 2019 - 5:19 PM.

• FeedTheAnts, Mettcollsuss and TennesseeAnts like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users