• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

ID: Montreal 21 July 2018

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Lazarus - Posted July 25 2018 - 3:51 PM

Lazarus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  • LocationOttawa, ON, Canada

1. Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada.
2. Date of collection: 21 July 2018
3. Habitat of collection: City Sidewalk
4. Length: Queen: 8mm
5. Coloration, hue, pattern and texture: Brown/Yellowish tinge to gaster, much darker (black thorax and head)
6. Distinguishing characteristics:

Montreal 21 July 18

My online ant spreadsheet

#2 Offline rbarreto - Posted July 25 2018 - 4:02 PM

rbarreto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationOttawa, On

Maybe Lasius americanus.

• Batspiderfish, AnthonyP163 and Lazarus like this

My journal featuring most of my ants.

My other journal featuring Formica Bradleyi.

Check our my store here!

#3 Offline Lazarus - Posted July 25 2018 - 6:20 PM

Lazarus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Maybe Lasius americanus.

You may be right on that. I pulled up a few pictures of queens of this species and they sure do look a lot like mine. I tried putting her under the microscope to get a better look but she was not cooperating, insisting to cling onto the cotton an not allowing me to get a good top view.

#4 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted July 25 2018 - 6:56 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Lasius americanus is the only niger-group Lasius sp. flying until mid August.

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#5 Offline Lazarus - Posted July 29 2018 - 1:16 PM

Lazarus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Sadly she died. :(

I just took a peak in her tube and she was clinging to the front cotton (not the one with the water).

Could she have died because she was stuck on it and either exhausted herself or could not get to the moist cotton to hydrate herself?

Is this a common thing that happens on occasion? I ask because I once saw videos of a person wrapping their front cotton with some very sheer material forming a smooth surface. Could that have been to avoid this?

This was a double whammy day for me returning from Toronto to find this AND my one other Lasius, a neoniger I caught last year that seemed to be doing fine, also dead. She had about 70 workers.  :(

Edited by Lazarus, July 29 2018 - 1:17 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users