• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

I have the weirdest idea to capture a colony

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline kevinirvinryann - Posted February 8 2015 - 5:15 PM

kevinirvinryann

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas
Ok so I was talking to my brothers about ants. The subject of fireants came into the conversation(I don't know the scientific name) we started talking about how they could form a raft if there is a flood. Do you think that it's possible to capture a colony by stimulating flooding? I personally won't not try this my parents would kill my for the water bill and I think moving the colony would be to much. But do you think it's possible?
  • Gregory2455 likes this

#2 Offline dean_k - Posted February 8 2015 - 5:18 PM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • LocationWaterown, Ontario, Canada

Only Solenopsis invicta colony will respond properly to flooding. Most of other ant species will drown.

The best way is almost always catching a newly mated queen unless it's species that mate within their own nests.

#3 Offline Myrmicinae - Posted February 8 2015 - 5:36 PM

Myrmicinae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationFort Collins, CO

Only Solenopsis invicta colony will respond properly to flooding. Most of other ant species will drown.

The best way is almost always catching a newly mated queen unless it's species that mate within their own nests.

Agreed.  This technique (flooding) is actually used by researchers quite often to collect laboratory colonies.  However, it is generally only effective on Solenopsis invicta.

Edited by Myrmicinae, February 8 2015 - 5:37 PM.

Journals on Formiculture:
Pheidole ceres
Tapinoma sessile

Old YouTube Channel:
ColoradoAnts

#4 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted February 8 2015 - 6:00 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

It can be done with Red Imported Fire Ants, or Solenopsis invicta, which should be plentiful in Texas.

#5 Offline drtrmiller - Posted February 8 2015 - 9:18 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

You will not capture a colony in your yard by "flooding" the nest or surrounding land.  The water soaks through the ground too quickly.  I have tried many different approaches similar to this, and none have succeeded.

Scientists collecting these colonies begin by digging up the colony on a warm spring morning when the queen is likely in the upper mound.  They then place them in a 5 gallon bucket lined with baby powder or Fluon to keep the ants from crawling out, allow the ants time to reorganize, and then use a "drip method" to slowly introduce water in the bucket until the ants initiate the desired behavior.  The colony is then very easy to collect in its entirety.

The simpler thing to get Solenopsis invicta started, however, is to wait for nuptial flights in the Spring and Summer, where it is easy to collect many queens.  Then, simply dig up and collect brood from existing colonies.  You then place the brood with the new queens, each queen in an individual test tube, which is a technique described by some as "brood boosting."  The queen will care for the larvae and pupae, which will rapidly eclose into a ready workforce, and so you can easily have many instant colonies.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#6 Offline Chromerust - Posted February 9 2015 - 10:59 AM

Chromerust

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • Locationsouthern California
You can see how it's done in this video

#7 Offline LAnt - Posted February 10 2015 - 4:56 PM

LAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles
That looks like a fun place to
to work!

Edited by LAnt, February 10 2015 - 4:57 PM.

• Gregory2455 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users