• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Many queens ID request, central Oregon, USA July 21st 2018

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Goldsystem - Posted June 13 2018 - 9:25 PM

Goldsystem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • LocationWichita Kansas
I found all of these girls under rocks in a high desert environment. (Note: new pictures have been added, the workers range from 5-7mm. queens 1,2, and 6 have been identified and the pictures have been removed)

Queen 3 is mainly black with lighter colored legs, she is 14-15mm

Queen 4 is mainly black with a dark red thorax and lighter colored legs, she is 14-15mm

Queen 5 is black with a round dark red thorax with two lighter stripes and lighter colored legs, she is 14-15mm

Queen 7, found in evergreen forest near mount hood under a rock. The queen is black and about 5mm the workers resemble tetramorium workers and are black with a orange thorax, they are around 2.5mm

Edited by Goldsystem, July 21 2018 - 4:59 PM.

#2 Offline LC3 - Posted June 13 2018 - 10:33 PM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

First off, check your measurements (and friendly ID template reminder :P ), the only ants in the US reaching 20mm are Camponotus ocreatus and Atta.

First and second queens are Camponotus queens. Pictures are pretty bad but I'm guessing either C. vicinus for the first and C. semitestaceus for the second one.

The rest are all Formica. No idea what Formica #1 is. I'm not entirely convinced Formica #2-3 are different species, F. francoeuri maybe? Last one is probably Formica argentae. I'm not very good with Formica.

Edited by LC3, June 13 2018 - 10:35 PM.

#3 Offline Goldsystem - Posted June 13 2018 - 11:45 PM

Goldsystem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • LocationWichita Kansas

First off, check your measurements (and friendly ID template reminder :P ), the only ants in the US reaching 20mm are Camponotus ocreatus and Atta.

First and second queens are Camponotus queens. Pictures are pretty bad but I'm guessing either C. vicinus for the first and C. semitestaceus for the second one.

The rest are all Formica. No idea what Formica #1 is. I'm not entirely convinced Formica #2-3 are different species, F. francoeuri maybe? Last one is probably Formica argentae. I'm not very good with Formica.

I’ve never been good at measuring queens lol, maybe I’ll get it right one day. These are the best pictures I can get for now unfortunately. I agree with your Camponotus IDs, I’ve wanted camponotus vicinus for a long time so I’m pretty excited. I’ll wait and see what other people think the Formica looking queens are. I’ll also try and fix my measurements

Edited by Goldsystem, June 13 2018 - 11:55 PM.

#4 Offline Goldsystem - Posted July 21 2018 - 4:52 PM

Goldsystem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • LocationWichita Kansas
New pictures have been added

#5 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted July 21 2018 - 5:40 PM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

The last one is Temnothorax. Also beautiful colony!

Edited by AntsAreUs, July 21 2018 - 5:40 PM.

#6 Offline rbarreto - Posted July 21 2018 - 5:42 PM

rbarreto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationOttawa, On
Wait I thought Temnothorax made small colonies???? That is a lot of brood!
  • AntsAreUs likes this

My journal featuring most of my ants.

My other journal featuring Formica Bradleyi.

Check our my store here!

#7 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted July 21 2018 - 5:42 PM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

Wait I thought Temnothorax made small colonies???? That is a lot of brood!

Colonies can sometimes get 300+ workers.

• rbarreto likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users